Pirates of the Carribean

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Johnny Depp deserves a fucking roomful of them at this point. He's the only actor of our generation I'd truly consider to be great. Sure, Bale and Pitt and Kilmer and DiCaprio are really good. But only Depp is great.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

For Matrix Reloaded, I thought the only really "philosophical" moment was with the Architect at the end, and they didn't really expand on the idea of the multiple Matrices except for a few throwaway lines. The first one had more "mind-blowing moments," I think, partly because it was new and fresh, both for the audience and Neo. The highway sequence is fuckin' insanely cool, and the Neo vs. Smiths fight WAS awesome . . . until the super-low-res cartoon Neo comes out and it all goes downhill. :(

That reminds me, the Path of Neo video game is amazingly fun.

But, back to Pirates: Depp may be a good actor, but the falling-down-a-precipice-and-living part was just too much (see JJ's recent comment). Funny in Emperor's New Groove? Yes. Funny in Pirates of the Caribbean? Uh, not so much. Maybe it was all that fruit.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Holy, I just saw the Pirates 3 trailer - it's coming out a LOT sooner than I thought!!! The trailer was awesome! Next month should be good, let's hope both Pirates and Spidey parts 3 are as good as we're hoping they will be.
"Something inside me....."
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Post by Eternal Padawan »

Starts tonight! Holy crap, it's 2 hours and 45 minutes long! Plenty of Piratey goodness. Arrrgh! :arrr:
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

Going to the show tonight at 8:50
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Pirates are gay, and anyone who's ever used a pirate avatar is double gay. Triple gay if he used two in the past. Quadruple gay if he's thinking about changing J-Con to a third pirate avatar.

(Only because J-Con is hawt!)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

This movie kicked major ass. If you see it, make sure you stay for the after credits shot.
Slimmie
knightrider

Post by Slimmie »

I am going tonight, so I'm happy to hear someone liked it. Most of the reviews were all "meh", which kinda had me expecting 3 hours of carp. Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure I stick around.
"America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Slimmie
knightrider

Post by Slimmie »

Yep, it pretty much rocked balls. There was some extra stuff that really didn't need to be there, and some scenes that were stretched out a bit too long, but overall a really good flick. They must have had some complaints that the 2nd one was too hard to follow, cuz they made sure any idiot knew exactly what was gong on the whole time. Damn those credits were long, only a dozen or so people stuck around to the "very end". I was aboout to leave, thinking you were fucking with me, KH & the guy sweeping up the popcorn let me know that there really was another scene.
"America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Yeah, Pirates 3 was awesome. Still not better than the first, but far better than 2.
The whole thing with Jack talking to himself (himselves?) didn't make much sense after he got out of the locker.

And the scene after the credits was, like the ones after the other two movies, nothing special (but it was best of the three).
10 years and she hadn't aged a day.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

I think it had to do with him be alone. He seemed ok around people but then when alone delusion set in.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I think that was just Jack being Jack - he was likely dealing with that same level of insanity the whole time (we just never had it shown to us before).

I loved this movie - much better than Spidey 3. Up next for me will have to be FF2, I'm hoping the Surfer can make this one as good as the first FF movie.
"Something inside me....."
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

finally saw it last night. it rocked. i loved the part with the rock-crabs in the locker.

and poppa sparrow was great.

"how's mum?"
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Post by Eternal Padawan »

That whole Locker scene was surreal. people in the audience were like WTF? with the multiple Jacks, and then all these crabs for no apparent reason that had NOTHING to do with the rest of the movie.

Keith Richards was called Captain Teague, which was Blackbeard's real name was it not? Nice touch.

EDIT: Blackbeard was Edward Teach. My bad.
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Eternal Padawan wrote:That whole Locker scene was surreal. people in the audience were like WTF?
that's why it was so awesome!
with the multiple Jacks, and then all these crabs for no apparent reason that had NOTHING to do with the rest of the movie.
why would they need to have anything to do with the rest of the movie?
EDIT: Blackbeard was Edward Teach. My bad.
close enough for me.
Life is short. STUNT IT!