Superman

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Superman

Post by Tom Foolery »

Uh oh.

Mark Waid didn't much like it. It's never a good sign when the World's Number One Superman Fan is "heartbroken" after seeing it.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

I saw it and liked it quite a bit. Nark's problems didn't bother me that much.

As seen in the trailer, the whole Pa Kent thing telling Clark that maybe he shouldn't have saved his classmates is being overblown, IMO. He didn't say she should have let the kids die; he said maybe. This is just a case of a father trying to protect his son from everyone.
As for Pa Kent's tornado death...yeah, that was pretty stupid.

As for the second thing some people are bitching about:
In the context of the film, Superman has no choice but to kill Zod. He is placed in a no-win situation - either kill Zod or Zod murders a family. And killing Zod is not something Superman takes lightly, as he is clearly anguished by what he had to do.
Nevermind the fact that Superman has a hand in killing thousands upon thousands of people in his battles with Zod and his cronies in both Smallville and Metropolis and never once tries to take the fight into an unpopulated (or less populated) area.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I just saw something that I totally forgot about.
There's been a lot of talk about Supermankilling Zos in Man of Steel and how "Un-Superman" it is.
What about Superman II, where Superman kills Zod?
What makes that one ok but MoS wrong?
Is it the brutality of it in Mos, where S2 is just Supes tossing Zod into a bottomless pit (to the John Williams score)?

Here's a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UORL-bvwA0

Director Zack Snyder said:
"David, Chris and I had long talks about it, and I said that I really feel like we should kill Zod, and that Superman should kill him. The ‘Why?’ of it for me was that if was truly an origin story, his aversion to killing is unexplained… I wanted to create a scenario where Superman, either he’s going to see [Metropolis' citizens] chopped in half, or he’s gotta do what he’s gotta do."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I saw it. I was let down. I actually left to go get popcorn refill and missed the tornado scene entirely.

Mostly I was let down because there wasn't any joy in the film. It's like if somebody dropped a nuke on Metropolis and then afterwards Superman and Lois make out at Ground Zero. It's awkward and devoid of anything that makes Superman a bright and positive character.

I was weeping tears of joy during Avengers. This movie left me cold and disinterested in seeing it again any time soon. It didn't suck ass like Green Lantern and it did have some impressive Super punching that people have wanted from their Superman films for awhile. But it was a clunky, morose story. The big polarizing "issue" at the end of the film didn't even bother me because it just emblematic of the larger problem with the entire film.

I could probably go into more detail about why I didn't like it, but it didn't even irk me enough to rant about it. It's already forgotten.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Granted, this is just my opinion, and I still haven't seen it, but....

It's a matter of actively killing a sentient being. If Zod died in Superman II, which is likely but unconfirmed, it's a bit more passive. IIRC, he threw Zod against a wall and then Zod fell into the water, with his two goons conveniently following. It's unclear if he intended Zod to die. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't--either way, it's just not clear.

As I understand it, Superman simply breaks Zod's neck here. Definite intent.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:Granted, this is just my opinion, and I still haven't seen it, but....

It's a matter of actively killing a sentient being. If Zod died in Superman II, which is likely but unconfirmed, it's a bit more passive. IIRC, he threw Zod against a wall and then Zod fell into the water, with his two goons conveniently following. It's unclear if he intended Zod to die. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't--either way, it's just not clear.

As I understand it, Superman simply breaks Zod's neck here. Definite intent.
He seems pretty nonchalant about tossing a guy down a bottomless pit and being directly responsible for his death, where in MoS he was forced into killing Zod, something he really doesn't want to do, and reacts with what feels like an appropriate amount of grief.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Thank you for that. I trust you more than anonymous reviewers on the internet, who made it sound like he snaps his neck, then struts off like it ain't no thang. That's much closer to his reactions to sentencing alt-universe Zod to death and beating the shit out of Doomsday in the pre-Nu52 DCU, where it was absolutely not something he wanted to do.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The amount of grief he showed made me think he would take off and try to spin the world in reverse. His cry of anguish was just about the same as in the Donner film. :)

anarky

Post by anarky »

Tom Foolery wrote:The amount of grief he showed made me think he would take off and try to spin the world in reverse. His cry of anguish was just about the same as in the Donner film. :)
His not reversing time is a good thing, though. That's where Superman: The Movie basically fell the fuck apart. There were plot holes and inconsistencies up to that point, but it went to hell there.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ew.

WB and Zack Snyder said they've brought Frank Miller in as a consultant on the B/S movie. What the fuckles? Apparently Hollywood has deliberately forgotten the Robocop sequels and The Spirit.

I feel like 'Ew.' isn't a strong enough response. But for now...

Ew.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Not defending a guy who clearly lost most his marbles ages ago, but did he have anything to do with RoboCop 3? Also, RoboCop 2 was good.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

He wrote 2 and 3.

I'm gonna ignore that last remark as I don't know how to respond. :|

anarky

Post by anarky »

Didnt say "great." Just not horrifyingly, bone-rottingly awful as 3.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

anarky wrote:Didnt say "great." Just not horrifyingly, bone-rottingly awful as 3.
This Post paraphrases the quality of the sequels.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ben Affleck??!?!

WHAT THE HAPPY HORSE FUCK???!