Superman

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Superman

Post by anarky »

I liked it. It's at least on par with Marvel movies. Maybe not the best Marvel movies, but better than some.

It really seems like they're trying to address the complaints, even if they've not fully nailed it. The Luthor scene especially seemed like an attempt to turn the character into something recognizable as Luthor.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The DC/WB trainwreck continues to roll down the tracks.

They are doing a Joker origin movie starring Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker that’s NOT in the DCEU.

And the long gestating Batman movie with Ben Affleck will probably no longer have Ben Affleck in it and will probably also not be set in the DCEU.

So pretty much, WB execs are looking at Disney/Marvel’s blueprint for printing money with each successive Marvel film and then doing the exact opposite of that in the hopes that they will never see Black in their ledgers.

Over heard in the WB boardroom; “Money? Ew. Gross.”
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

"Dave, if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, if we want to be able to stop printing comic books, these movies can't make any sense."
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

There's also talk of a Jared Leto Joker movie.

I'm all for Elseworlds-style movies, but they need to establish a strong primary universe first, like Marvel doing this year's animated Spider-Man movie. Sure, that fact that it is animated helps, but IIRC it also seems pretty clear from the trailer that this ain't the MCU.

DC really needs to focus on individual franchises first, maybe have them loosely connected with mentions/easter eggs or a minor character popping up from other franchises.
After you have 2-3 good, stand alone franchise films each, then it'll be fun to bring them together in The Aveng...Justice League.

Or just focus on TV. Flash, Supergirl and Arrow (and Legends of Tomorrow, I hear) are killing it. Supergirl and Arrow prove you can do Superman and Batman on tv (Arrow is pretty much Batman). I think Nightwing has the makings of a great series.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

And now Henry Cavill might be done with playing Superman. Maybe. The rumor mill churns much butter.

Thank god for the Arrowverse, because WB cannot...CANNOT...get their shit together on the big screen.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ezra Miller, the “star” of the long gestating, perpetually in pre-production upcoming Flash movie is teaming up with Grant Morrison to rewrite the script for the movie, and if WB rejects his version of the script he may leave the project. After the success of the more light hearted (dare we even say ‘Marvel-esque’) Aquaman and the upcoming Shazam movie, WB might want the movie to be less dark than the previous DC movies have been (yeah we are all glaring at you, BvsS) and this might be at odds with the darker tone Miller “envisions” for the character.

Dude, you’ve played the character once(twice? Does the confusing cameo count?) and you were like 6th or 7th billed in the Justice League. You’ve probably had like 15 minutes of screen time playing this character and you want creative control over the script? What? Why?

anarky

Post by anarky »

He's also insisting on rewriting Fantastic Beasts 3.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Despite being called “Birds of Prey” this is clearly an HQ movie with minor, minor support from vaguely BoP-like characters.
Cassandra Cain has been reduced to chubby Asian comedic relief.
Yeah.
If I hadn’t told you that was Cassandra, you wouldn’t have guessed. You still may not believe me even after I’ve told you.

I don’t think anyone wants a full two hours of Margot Robbie’s Harley. Two minutes of trailer and I’m annoyed.

anarky

Post by anarky »

A Michael Bay movie, judging by how faithful it is.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Looks like Suicide Squad 2.

Meanwhile, DCtv is giving us this.
Attachments
Screenshot_20191001-213935_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20191001-213935_Instagram.jpg (477.19 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I’m like a season and half behind on the Arrowverse. I can’t even remember how the previous seasons ends. Oliver went to prison I think. But I’m drawing a blank on Flash and Legends.
I’m like 4 seasons behind on Supergirl.
Haven’t even started Black Lightning yet(which isn’t even part of the Arrowverse anyway. Why? Why have a DC show on the CW and make it standalone? And it’s from the same producer! WtF?)

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Because they're racist.
Seriously, I have no idea, but Black Lightning will be involved the big multiverse crossover this year.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The more pics I see from Gunn’s Suicide Squad movie, the more I’m convinced most of the characters in the movie are gonna be basically cameos and killed off en masse in a botched mission at the beginning of the film, and the “main” team (Harley, Deadshot, etc) are called back into service to salvage the mission for the rest of the film.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Finally half watched justice league. I actually kinda liked it, with reservations.
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

It's not a bad movie. Certainly not as bad as people say.