Top Summer Film of 2018

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

What movie will make it’s studio rich this summer?

A Wrinkle In Time
No votes
Pacific Rim Uprising
No votes
Ready Player One
No votes
Avengers Assemble!
100%
Cable and his Canadian Friend: A Sequel
No votes
Ootah Gootah, Solo?
No votes
Dinosaurs! Part 5
No votes
Ant-Man & The Wasp
No votes
Mission Impossible: Ethan Hunt vs Superman
No votes
The Meg
No votes

Total votes: 4

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Top Summer Film of 2018

Post by Tom Foolery »

As I look at the ridiculous amount of money Black Panther has made in its first few days(seriously, the only movie to make more money in the same amount of time is The Force Awakens) it occurred to me I hadn’t done this year’s poll.

Then I looked at the options, and there was only one choice for what’s going to win this year. But sadder than that, there were only like 4 or 5 other options that could even be considered serious contenders. So, I had to pad the poll out with movies from MARCH, which in the past I’ve not included because it was too early in the year. And then I even included The Meg on the poll. Only because that screenplay has been floating around Hollywood for like 30 years and someone finally made it. But apart from some rrrreeeallllyy high profile films, this summer looks pretty empty.

And remember, no cartoons. Otherwise, Incredibles 2 would be on here. And I seriously considered breaking that rule because there were so few choices.

The 3 March films; A Wrinkle in Time, Pacific Rim 2, and Ready Player One. RP1 might’ve had a chance in any other year that didn’t have the three May movies in it. The other two are just padding out the poll.

The 3 May films, Avengers, Deadpool, and Star Wars. Jiminy, talk about a front loaded summer season. In one month, Disney is going to make ALL THE MONEY. These three are the only serious contenders for winning the poll this year. With a considerable advantage going to Infinity War.

Jurassic World 2. I am still surprised at the amount of money the first/fourth one made. It was a mediocre movie. I don’t think this one will do anywhere close to that. We got our nostalgia fix with the last one.

Ant-Man&The Wasp. After BP and Avengers, people might actually for the first time be suffering from Marvel exhaustion and this film will pay the price. Then again, it’s Marvel.

M:I 6. Or is it 7? So, in this one, Ethan has to go rogue in order to save the planet. It’s different from the first 12 movies where he has to go rogue in order to save the planet. I think this might be the 23rd M:I movie. Whatever, I enjoyed the first 44 Mission Impossible films. It’s not gonna break the BO bank, but it will be an enjoyable 61st entry in the series.

The Meg. Hah. It’s a giant shark movie. So, when the book came out, there was this huge bidding war to snap up the screen rights. Whichever studio “won” ended up way overpaying. Then they never made the film. Then the rights bounced around for like the next twenty years to different studios and you’d see it on their upcoming productions slate. But it’d never get out of preproduction. Now, finally, it got made. Good for them.

So yeah. Avengers. I’d ask you for your thoughts, but your thoughts are also Avengers. Unless...make a case for something else. I’d love to hear!
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Top Summer Film of 2018

Post by Diabolical »

There's always a dark horse, that blows away expectations, like Jurassic World did a few years ago, but yeah, Avengers is going to make so much damn money.

Has there ever been another franchise that is a hit with every age/race/sex category?
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

And I've never even heard of The Meg.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Definitely Avengers. I briefly considered the Han Solo movie, but since it isn't Harrison Ford, I didn't think it could beat a movie with all of the superheros.

I never heard of The Meg, either.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The “Speed Racer” Award for funnest movie of the year (past recipients include the Lego Movie and, of course, Speed Racer) goes to Ready Player One. After about the 7,000 Easter egg in the movie, I threw my hands up because I couldn’t keep up with the onscreen barrage of pop culture references. Everything from The Glaive from Krull to goddamn Madballz are in this movie. My mouth hurts from grinning. I look forward to rewatching it and seeing something new every single goddamn time. Even on the fiftieth viewing.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Zoe Saldana is apparently the only actor ever to have star billing in two separate movies that have surpassed $2 billion gross: Avatar and Avengers Infinity War.
Life is short. STUNT IT!