Wonder Woman

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Wonder Woman

Post by Tom Foolery »

I know the Superman topic had kinda become the defacto thread for the emerging DCEU films, but since this is the first DC movie that hasn't sucked dirty ass since The Dark Knight I felt it kinda deserved its own topic.

Everyone's giving the film props because it was directed by a woman and the lead is a woman and good golly that glass ceiling yadda yadda. But I think the important lesson here is what happens when you take the time to develop a strong script, and then leave the filmmakers alone without studio interference and holy shit would you look at that, you get a good film. Without endless reshoots and rewrites. They went back and reshot ONE SCENE. One fucking scene. Other than that Patty Jenkins got everything she wanted/needed the first time around. How fucking rare is that with a summer tent pole film?

Princess Buttercup is a total badass. I'd watch a movie of just Antiope. I would've liked to see more Etta Candy in the movie. She was front and center in a lot of the trailers, and the trailer scenes were basically what we got of her in the movie. She was good comic relief.

More thoughts to come after you all watch it and/or post about it. I would like to go see it again.

I still think the Justice League movie is gonna yawn, but this movie is as good as everyone is clamoring.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Wonder Woman

Post by anarky »

It's especially impressive to me that a movie this good came from the most boring-ass character in the DCU.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

I thought it was pretty dull and lack luster.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

What is really funny is that a lot of women I know cannot look at it objectively. If you say any other superhero film is better, you have an unwinnable (but never exactly defended) argument.

Never mind that, no matter how good it is, it's a predictable superhero flick.

That's always been the issue with WW: she's too sacred as a feminist icon for people to realize how lame the character is. (Maybe if the people who see her as an icon actually read any stories not written by George Perez....)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!