No Dr. Strange thread yet?

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: No Dr. Strange thread yet?

Post by jjreason »

That fucking space vampire will prevent me from ever watching Buck Rogers again. Great show, but that was scary for reals.
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

What? No spoiler warning? Thanks for ruining the 35 year old episode for me. Now I'm not even going to bother watching it.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

What do I know from spoilers???? Now you MUST watch it to see how cheesy it is compared to my trembling memory.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Went to it a second time. Picked up on some Easter eggs this time around.

When Strange is talking to his assistant on the phone before the accident, he mentions an Air Force colonel with a spinal injury from a robot suit. Also a schizophrenic woman with a microchip in her head. The guy is probably one of Justin Hammer's volunteers from IM2, but I'm not sure if the woman is a reference to anything.
The defender of the New York sanctum is named Drumm. Daniel Drumm is the brother of Jericho Drumm, aka Dr. Voodoo.
One of the disciples defending the Hong Kong sanctum is wielding the Staff of One, which means it's maybe Nico Minoru's mother. Nico is one of the Runaways.
The book Stan Lee is reading is The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley. It's the book that inspired Jim Morrison to name his band The Doors.

Still should've been a Peter Hooten cameo.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Well I got through almost 20 min of it this afternoon before my son felt sick & actually fainted trying to get to the bathroom - off to the hospital instead of seeing the rest of the movie. Nice of the theatre to provide passes so we can go back (for a 2D version) sometime soon. ><
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Holy crap. I hope everything is okay.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Tom Foolery wrote:Also a schizophrenic woman with a microchip in her head. The guy is probably one of Justin Hammer's volunteers from IM2, but I'm not sure if the woman is a reference to anything.
The rumor?
jjreason wrote:Well I got through almost 20 min of it this afternoon before my son felt sick & actually fainted trying to get to the bathroom - off to the hospital instead of seeing the rest of the movie. Nice of the theatre to provide passes so we can go back (for a 2D version) sometime soon. ><
Yikes. Don't leave us hanging...
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I hope that's not where they're going with Capt Marvel. How do you go from decorated Air Force pilot given powers by an alien macguffin...holy shit, that's the plot to Green Lantern...

....anyway.

But you'd think Marvel would know that straying too far from the source material always ends poorly for comic adaptations. Trust the material, no matter how absurd or derivative. Even if that means the baggage of Mar-Vell and the psyche magnitron and all that.
22 year old schizo with her brain rewired doesn't sound Capt Marvelous at all.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

He's fine, thanks for the concern. He has grown a foot in under a year & has been having light headedness when he stands up with some regularity, they figure this was just a bigger version of the same thing. Might also be getting the flu or a cold, so we'll monitor that. Disconcerting to say the least, but he was better quickly.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

shit, man, well keep us in the loop!

anyone see a lot of parallels between some of the astral projection in Dr. Strange and the microverse in Ant-man?

i thought it was awesome, but my wife didn't like it and it was too intense for our daughter.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Sat through it last night. It was a good Marvel movie & we'll be interested to see what happens with these characters moving forward. The use of 3D was pretty great. I was offended by them eschewing the comic pages flipping intro for one composed of their own film bits - felt like Marvel studios sucking themselves off.

Tom disclosed that the surgery scenes might have caused part of the wooziness last time so he knew that going in & managed it much better - no incidents.