No Dr. Strange thread yet?

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

No Dr. Strange thread yet?

Post by anarky »

Because this movie looks kinda fucking amazeballs.

And Dr. Strange was always a bottom-tier Marvel character to me, and I still say that.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: No Dr. Strange thread yet?

Post by Tom Foolery »

I hope we get a trailer with Civil War.

EDIT. Orrr....right now.

"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

I've never been a Dr Strange fan and this trailer didn't do much for me.
But Marvel has yet to truly disappoint, so I'm looking forward to it.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I couldn't recommend a current series more highly - in case you have an extra $3.99 burning a hole in your pocket. Awesome comic right now.
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

I've never been a Dr. Strange fan. He's one of those characters I knew enough about to follow his guest appearances, and I respected his power.

But I was never a fan of Ant-Man, Captain America, Bucky Barnes, Iron Man, or Guardians of the Galaxy V. 2.0. And the best Marvel movies? Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Iron Man, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

I have high hopes here. Especially with a great actor, and a heavy influence from the Ditko era, the only time I've liked the character in comics.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:I couldn't recommend a current series more highly - in case you have an extra $3.99 burning a hole in your pocket. Awesome comic right now.
It's definitely one of the highlights of the post-SW launch. I love how Jason Aaron has reintroduced the character and boiled the concept down to its core, so that no previous issues of Strange's history are required reading. I also like that he's making "rules" for magic, which is something that's always stifled my enjoyment of magic centric storytelling. Iron Man I can get behind, because his armor can be explained in concepts we are all familiar with, e.g. machinery requires power to operate, etc.
Spider-Man, Captain America, Hulk, etc I can get behind because it's based of the science of biology etc.

But magic was always 'eh. It does whatever I need it to do whenever I need to do it.' Aaron is at least trying to make limitations and understand the action/reaction principal of physics and applying that to "magic". Unfortunately, unless the rest of the editing and writing staff all adhere to the same rules, it's futile.

But the book itself is great.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Snigtad Flornbi
christopher walken
Location: I AM NOT CALING U, I AM CALLIN THE LADYS, NOT U, CUZ U R A FAGG!

Post by Snigtad Flornbi »

ITS BE CAUSE HE IS GAY U LIEK THE GAY LIKE U, HA HA HA HA!!!!

I WOOD SAY BERN BUT U GAYS R PRAUD OF BEING GAY + TAKE IT AS A COMPLOMENT, SO I SHULD CALL U STRATE, THAT WILL HERT UR GAYE FILLINGS!!!
NOW THAT IS A GOD DAM GAYE ROBAT!!! LOOK A THAT FUCKIN DICK ON HIS HAND, HE PROBLY SUX IT EVER NITE CUZ HE IS A GAY FAG LIEK U FAGGETS!! MAN, U FAGS LIEK ROBAT DONG HANDS UP UR GAY ASSES DON'T U, HA HA HA HA HA HA I NEW IT!!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Wicked.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Holy shit, the score is fucking amazing from the tiny bit that's been released.

This could honestly be Michael Giacchino's finest work yet, which is no small feat at all, if the rest of the score is on par with this.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The score IS amazing.

I saw this today in IMAX 3D. Holy shit, it was excellent. Much like Guardians, Marvel has taken one of their lesser known properties and hit it it out of the park.
Maybe it was the (lack of an)accent, but I didn't feel like I was watching Benadryl Cabbagepatch playing the part, I was actually watching Stephen Strange. Strong supporting roles from everybody.
The trippy as fuck action sequences need to be seen in 3D. While I was watching it, I kept thinking 'holy shit, somebody thought of this and made it work onscreen.'
The set design was amazing. I wanted to pause the movie to look at everything in the Sanctum Sanctorum.
I really enjoyed the character design of the final villain. It was different, but clearly inspired by the comic version.
And as always, I'm excited to watch these characters interact with the rest of the MCU. We got a taste of that in the stinger at the end.

anarky

Post by anarky »

This movie was absolute amazeballs. I'll leave it at that until everyone sees it.

And never forget "Feels So Good" was released in 1977, not 1978.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Saw it today. I think I know what a psychedelic trip looks like.
I really liked it. I think I'd rank it pretty much right in the middle of the MCU.

The passage of time is a bit too ambiguous. Does it take place over months? Years? Where does it fit in the timeline? Are the beginning scenes pre-Avengers? Pre/post-Age of Ultron?
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

From this trailer, it doesn't look that great.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Man they really got the feel of the 70s in that clip. Gives me a strong urge to watch Battlestar Galactica.
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

That reminds me. I bought the Buck Rodgers DVDs a long time ago and never watched it.