Ultraviolet/Digital Copies

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Ultraviolet/Digital Copies

Post by Diabolical »

Anyone use them?
I always redeem mine via Flixster, although I've rarely watched them that way. I just like to have them as an option.
I went through tonight and redeemed like 30, which brings my total up to 80+ redeemed.

If anyone has some they don't want, could you shoot 'em my way?
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Re: Ultraviolet/Digital Copies

Post by jjreason »

I always use the codes, but have never used the service other than to check & make sure it worked. The only time I ever resorted to watching any shows/movies on my PC was when I was mired in Breaking Bad & getting kicked out of the living room ><
"Something inside me....."
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

so, is UltraViolet on life support? i've been using Flixster since the beginning of my foray into UV and they just announced a few weeks ago that they were shuttering UV support as of today.

at this point, the only two UV providers i can find in the states are VUDU and FandangoNOW, which begs the question - how much longer are these two providers going to be around? i know VUDU has the might of walmart behind it, but still... other large corporations (Best Buy/CinemaNOW, Target/Target Ticket, etc...) have pulled the plug on their UV services.

for now, i created a new VUDU account and connected our UV account to it. we have a total of 50 movies in there. i'm just not at all confident that this system will be around for much longer.

i also really prefer the way Disney does it - the Disney Movies Anywhere system is far superior, with support on basically all the major streaming/digital store providers - Amazon, iTunes, Google, Microsoft, etc - in addition to their own apps/website.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I have 4 seasons of Game of Thrones and a handful of movies in my Flixster, but that's it. Some of this is also in our Itunes. Hopefully they will at least allow us to access what we've put in there, even if we're not able to add anything new.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

nope, i'm sorry to say that Flixster Video is no longer available for redemption of codes, streaming, or downloading of movies. it's all shut down.

https://www.flixstervideo.com/faq

they point you to either VUDU or FandangoNOW as alternative solutions. i don't know if either of these are available in Canada.

EDIT: i realize this might be US-only. maybe Flixster is still alive and kicking in Canada? it seems to be the one and only provider in the nation, so i can't imagine them leaving you completely high and dry...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
jjreason

Itunes, Google Play, Ultraviolet, Flixster - Movies at Home

Post by jjreason »

Accessing the digital copies of movies you bought the discs of. Who uses what? Ultraviolet is advising they are shutting things down, but that I should NOT un-link my account or anything. I guess I will have to watch these movies through the Sony sight or Flixster - I think between the 2 I have access to all the digital copies I had used on the Ultraviolet side.

Do you guys use any of these services for movies at home? Any comments on the UV situation?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Itunes, Google Play, Ultraviolet, Flixster - Movies at Home

Post by Tom Foolery »

That’s why I don’t trust any of those “digital only” formats. Here today. Gone tomorrow.
My physical copies might take up space, but guess what Big Business? I don’t have to pay you over and over again for a movie I already own. Chumps.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I need to pick one so I can see the digital-only expanded version of Crimes of Grindelwald that came with the Blu-ray.

Otherwise I don't trust this shit at all, and don't like watching on small screens anyway.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I pretty much only ever watch the discs - the digital copies seemed like bonuses for purchasing the blu ray version. That being said, it sure looks like other folks see it from the opposite side - there are lots of discs available on kijiji & ebay "brand new, digital code used" type of thing. I'm sure it's folks like that who are going to be bothered.
Ran

Post by Ran »

My in-laws use the digital copies. It has been a while since I got a blu-ray, but I think my wife gave them the code that came with them for Vudu. Its not like I was ever going to use them.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i always buy the physical media that comes with the free digital copy. i figure it's a value add. it's no surprise that UV is being shuttered, Disney ran them out of town with Movies Anywhere. it's just so much easier, and has wider adoption - particularly that it syncs with Amazon Prime Video, iTunes, and Google Play. that's huge compared to UV which ended up with only VUDU and FandangoNOW in the US and Flixster in Canada.

JJ - i tried looking for a way for you to transfer all your digital copies, but it looks like the only game in town in Canada is Flixster, which is (obviously) UV based. i can't imagine they'll leave you completely high and dry. Movies Anywhere is currently US-only, but they come to your neck of the woods and saves your Canadian Bacon by integrating with Fixster.

for the record, i worked it out so that all our media is now accessible via Movies Anywhere, with the exception of the three studios that currently don't participate - MGM, Lionsgate and Paramount. we still have any of their movies that we redeemed through VUDU/UV (as well as the rest, since VUDU syncs with MA as well - so VUDU actually has the most of any of our services currently). i would think that they will give in and sign on for MA once UV goes tits up.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'm still 100% a physical media whore, but I use my digital copies. I try to use them all on Movies Anywhere now. There are those few annoying studios that haven't joined yet, so I've been using Vudu for those.

Sometimes its just easier to play the digital version over popping a disc in, but I'll always have the discs, but digital copies can be pulled by the studio, which I'm pretty has happened to me once with The Doors. I swear I had it digitally, but now it's gone.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

There was something awhile ago about Itunes movies just up & disappearing. That's bs - particularly if that's the ONLY copy the person purchased!

Vyn - yes, Movies Anywhere was my plan when I first researched this whole thing.... until I realized that being in Canada makes me a second class digital movie citizen. Since it's Disney owned operated (unless I'm mistaken), I'm sure we'll have it up here eventually.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

This topic seems...familiar...
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Tom Foolery wrote:This topic seems...familiar...
merged.
jjreason wrote:Vyn - yes, Movies Anywhere was my plan when I first researched this whole thing.... until I realized that being in Canada makes me a second class digital movie citizen. Since it's Disney owned operated (unless I'm mistaken), I'm sure we'll have it up here eventually.
yeah, Movies Anywhere is the successor/expansion of Disney Movies Anywhere. DMA was basically their Disney-only beta release/live proof-of concept that they could beat UV/Paramount at their own game. MA is still a Disney product, but with wider studio availability/buy-in, and is a far superior user experience than UV.
Life is short. STUNT IT!