Existing Marvel Movie Universes

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Existing Marvel Movie Universes

Post by jjreason »

Including all of the Marvel "modern" Marvel Movies to date - and honestly I'm not sure where to draw the line with this (not in any real order):

1. Avengers Universe (incorporating Avengers, Thor, Cap, Iron Man & Hulk 2)

2. Singer X-Universe (incorporating X-X3, First Class & the upcoming FC2)

3. Blade Marvel Universe

4. FF1 & FF2 Marvel U (likely never to return)

5. Daredevil & Elektra Marvel U

6. Punisher Marvel Universe

7. Hulk 1 Universe (likely never to return)

8. Raimi Spidey Universe (likely never to return)

9. Amazing Spidey Universe

10. Ghost Rider Universe

Can we really be up to 10 already (and I might have missed some)????

I know 1, 2 and 9 are "living". Are any of the others considered incorporated into those? I don't recall any cross pollination, but I haven't seen all of them either. By the film rights, would we assume the Ghost Rider, Blade, Punisher & DD universes are either dead or will never be incorporated into the grander Avengers-verse?
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Existing Marvel Movie Universes

Post by Tom Foolery »

DD, Ghost Rider, and Punisher have definitely reverted back to Marvel (DD is getting a Netflix series).
I'm pretty sure, but not 100%, that Blade also reverted. Disney could get creative and introduce Danny Ketch as Ghost Rider in the MCU and keep the first two as quasi-backstory, but that's just my wishful thinking.

Universal is sitting on the rights to Sub-Mariner and they don't want to do a stand alone universe for him. I think they were trying to do a deal with Disney/Marvel to have him be in the MCU but still be a Universal film. I'm not sure if Disney is working that out or if they're just waiting for that to revert as well.

Interestingly, Marvel got the TV rights to Spidey back, including live action. So theoretically we could see a Spidey TV series set in the MCU that's completely separate from the Sony film franchise.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Or even a Spidey appearance on SHIELD! That would likely cause me to tune in.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Don't forget the Man Thing universe.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

There's the Hasselhoff SHIELD universe. IIRC, that wasn't too far before the first Blade.

Also Hulk 1 is kinda sort in the Avengers Universe. It was only partly retconned out of existence. Yeah, confusing.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ang Lee's Hulk is a separate U.

The opening "origin" of the Incredible Hulk was an homage to the TV show, and not a reference to the first film.
It was more a coincidence than a deliberate choice of him being in South America at the start of the second film, given the end of the first one. The director just wanted to have a cool chase scene thru the favelas in an original set piece.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I have to watch Hulk 2 again sober. I did not like it at all the first time. I also need to get a look at all of the small short films they've created & released with the dvds & blurays - I don't think I've seen any of those. :oops:

EDITE: No need to buy all the movies to see the one shots/shorts either, when this is available right from the source: http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_One-Shots
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I know it isn't considered as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I count Hulk in the same universe.
Despite it's flaws (like that confusing ending and shaky CG that doesn't quite hold up) I like far it better than The Incredible Hulk, story and cast wise (especially cast).
Coincidence or not, if they wanted it separate, then they shouldn't have started TIH where Hulk ended.
As for the flashback origin sequence in TIH (and thank god we didn't have to relive another origin) - They do that shit all the time in comics when a new creative team takes over. Its like a new artist's take on events or an in-continuity retcon.

As for the one-shots, I love those, but none of them have been crucial to the MCU...so far. There are bits in at least two of them (Agent Carter and All Hail The King) that may pop up in the future.

And I count Dirty Laundry as a one-shot.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Dirty Laundry is awesome. It is my fondest wish that those Netflix series incorporate Thomas Jane as a guest star into as many episodes as possible as a connective thread.

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Tom Foolery wrote:Ang Lee's Hulk is a separate U.
The opening "origin" of the Incredible Hulk was an homage to the TV show, and not a reference to the first film.
i'm going to have to agree with chux that it's kind of one of those things that can go either way. it's easy to hand-wave any discrepancies in the credits montage and view The Incredible Hulk as a sequel to HULK, but if you didn't like the first one, you can disavow any connection between the two.

i'm still really surprised that they've not announced a Mark Ruffalo :hulkout: movie, though i suppose they're gunshy from the previous outings.

there were plans to include the Oscorp tower from ASM into the skyline of The Avengers as an easter egg (appropriate timing!) that would unofficially tie the two franchises into the same universe, but they ran out of time. i think they hadn't finalized the Oscorp building design by the deadline to incorporate it into Avengers or something, although the only source i can trace all the various articles back to is an article on latino review where they also say Iron Patriot isn't going to be in Iron Man 3, so take everything up there with a 1lb. bag of salt.

i could see them tying the DD Netflix original into the greater context of The Avengers and Agents of SHIELD, if only in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it way like seeing the Stark/Avengers Tower or Triskelion in the background or something, or maybe in a more explicit way, who knows.

i haven't clicked through because i want to avoid spoilers but just from seeing sidebar article teasers it appears there's some sort of ASM2/XMDoFP crossover.

i tried finding a site that had all compiled all the tenuous connections between all the marvel-related movies into one masterlist or infographic or something, but can't find it. i guess we need to do it here.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Tom Foolery wrote:Dirty Laundry is awesome. It is my fondest wish that those Netflix series incorporate Thomas Jane as a guest star into as many episodes as possible as a connective thread.
The Luke Cage and Iron Fist shows should have been combined into Heroes For Hire and The Punisher should have been the other show.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

vynsane wrote:i haven't clicked through because i want to avoid spoilers but just from seeing sidebar article teasers it appears there's some sort of ASM2/XMDoFP crossover.
I wouldn't really call it a spoiler, but to answer your question:No in-universe connection. Just cross-promotion.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

grand high poobah and chief bottle washer wrote:i haven't clicked through because i want to avoid spoilers but just from seeing sidebar article teasers it appears there's some sort of ASM2/XMDoFP crossover.
We wuz discussing that in the X-Men Movies topic.
i tried finding a site that had all compiled all the tenuous connections between all the marvel-related movies into one masterlist or infographic or something, but can't find it. i guess we need to do it here.
Do you mean ALL Marvel Movies or just the MCU?

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Tom Foolery wrote:Do you mean ALL Marvel Movies or just the MCU?
yeah, i mean all - not just the official connections, but any that might possibly link them all together, like mentioning other heroes offhand... for instance:
  • in CA:TWS, Agent Sitwell mentions "Stephen Strange".
  • in Spider-man 2, while Jameson and Hoffman are rattling off new names for Otto Octavius, Hoffman says "Doctor Strange?" and Jameson says "That's pretty good... but it's TAKEN!"
  • therefore, we can extrapolate that a character named Dr. Stephen Strange exists in both the MCU and Raimi Spidey Trilogy universe, so we can tenuously connect them together.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Petro & Wanda are going to throw a royal monkey wrench into that line of thinking, Vynnie. Strange has been confirmed as an upcoming phase 3 movie as far as I know, and I think John Hamm is going play the good doctor. I'm sure the name-dropping has been done on a very planned out schedule so that folks are alive to the idea of Strange when the initial posters/trailers start up toward the end of this year (I'm guessing). Speaking of all that, has there been any mention of Scott Lang or a Doctor Lang anywhere? Ant Man is also confirmed I believe.