Top Summer Film of 2012

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

What's your pick?

Avengers
30%
Battleship
No votes
Men In Black III
No votes
Prometheus
20%
GIJoe: Retaliation
No votes
Amazing Spider-Man
No votes
Dark Knight Rises
40%
John Carter
No votes
Hunger Games
10%
Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter
No votes

Total votes: 10

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Top Summer Film of 2012

Post by anarky »

Well, anyone who voted for Battleship or wrote in Dark Shadows lost badly.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I'm shocked Battleship made $25M. By which I mean, I was expecting LESS than that. I was going to say poor Universal, sinking $200M+ into that steaming pile, but I guess it did decent overseas.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

Yeah, there are a lot of people who paid to see that and should be euthanized for the good of the human race.

That might sound harsh, but, really, these stupid fucks paid to see Battleship. Do you want them, say, driving a car when you're walking down the street? Or cooking your food? No, these people need to be eliminated.

On the topic of Dark Shadows, it's pretty sad, but the studios and talking heads will decide this means that Tim Burton is no longer box office gold with several of his last few movies doing not exactly stellar. They won't realize what it really means: We want Tim Burton to do another fucking original movie! It's been 19 years since The Nightmare Before Christmas, which he didn't direct, and 22 years since Edward Scissorhands! Everything since has been a remake or an adaptation. Are you washed up, you once-great god of weirdness?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I'm glad none of you voted for GIJoe:Retaliation.

Because you would've lost.
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

I voted for Prometheus...Avengers was very cool but somewhat overrated. I'm not expecting much from TDK; disappointing to see it got the most votes. Spider-Man looks bad but yet...not as bad as the Raimi versions.
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Just saw the commercial for Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I thought the commercial for Battleship was bad.
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

I like the thought of Abe because it pumps me up, thinking about Pride & Prejudice Zombies.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I went to Avengers for the third time on Thursday and took my kids to see it.

I just read that Avengers made more money in the month of May than ALL the other films in May combined.

It also just passed TDK. Suck it, Batman.
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

I'm hoping to go and see The Avengers today. I've heard so much good about it that I'm pumped to see it now.
Sweet berry wine!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I went to Prometheus yesterday. It started out decent enough, but then got boxed in by having to finish up where Alien begins. And it suffered from some pretty awful characters ( "Lets take off our spacesuits and touch everything! That will end well!") and dialogue and not enough Alien-style 'Boo!' moments. None of the characters, aside from David(excellent Michael Fassbender) were coherent or fleshed out enough that we give a shit about them. Even the supposed "main" character played by Noomi Rapace(who is the ersatz Ripley stand in in the Alien Mythos). I mean, who were the three or four guys in the Cargo Hold? And the Asian guy and the guy who wasn't the Asian guy. The extent of their characterization was a bet they had that was given exactly fifteen seconds of dialogue spread out throughout the film. So it was really sad(not) when they...died. Guy Pearce shows up 3/4ths of the way thru the film and does nothing. Frankly the entire thing was a mess. A pretty mess. But still a mess.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Counterpoint: I enjoyed Prometheus.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

It appears that Rollo was correct in not adding Rock of Ages or That's My Boy to the list.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I wasn't aware they existed at the time of the list making. Which, I guess, is indicative of their chances of being on the list.

I'm always wary of "glowing reviews" in TVspots for films that are three weeks from being released. If your ad campaign is 'Dick Assbut of the Montana Tribune says Tom Cruise rawks! in Rawk of Ages!' I smell dirty diapers.

And both of those films were like that.

I also laugh when a $5M film beats a $4M film at the Box Office and the next day they're like "The #1 Movie in America!" even though it did ass for ticket sales.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Not quite a summer film, and probably not a contender for top box-office wise, but Wreck-It Ralph looks fucking awesome. Kano, Smoke (or Scorpion, or Sub-Zero, or maybe just a generic ninja), M Bison, Zangief, Dr Robotnik, Bowser, and Clyde in a bad guy support group meeting looks worth the price of admission alone. (And, hey, that happens to be the thumbnail for the trailer on YouTube--I'm sure Disney did that on purpose.) I have a feeling this will be a kids' movie with a shit-ton of jokes and references that no one under 30 will understand.

Also, back on topic, Brave won't trump Avengers box-office wise. However, I just want to point out that, despite everyone (myself included) bemoaning the downfall of Hollywood because of the huge number of remakes, unnecessary sequels, obviously shitty films, adaptations of board games that incorporate aliens for no reason, etc, I've seen more movies in the theater so far this year than I do in most entire years: The Muppets, John Carter, Brave, and Avengers. And each of them was a five-star film, easy, and good enough to use the often hyperbolic "one of the best I've ever seen" phrase. I have high hopes that The Dark Knight Rises will be just as good. And, just before the calendar switched, I saw Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn, which was also just as good. My point is, there's more chaff to sort through, and fewer "okay" or "pretty good" movies, but the really good stuff is mind-boggling.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Only two films left. (GiJoe "scratched" from the competition)

I don't think they'll take the top spot, but considering what they were up against they'll probably come home with 2nd and 3rd places. Although, Hunger Games did extremely well, so Spidey might have settle for 4th. We'll see.