Thor

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Thor

Post by Diabolical »

Might be pretty cool...trailer (while it lasts).
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Thor

Post by anarky »

Wow.

That looks almost as cool as Thor has always been lame. No small feat there.

Really, making Thor cool must be harder than making Iron Man cool. Iron Man at least sounds good "on paper."
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

I agree. I know next to nothing about the comic character, and I couldn't give two shits about the movie a few hours ago. But that trailer makes it look pretty fuckin' cool.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Who'd have ever thought Kenneth Brannagh and Anthony Hopkins would ever be associated with a Marvel movie? Those names alone gave the movie some instant cred.
And when Natalie Portman (who looks really damn good in this) signed on my wiener interest went up.

The rest of the cast looks pretty good too:
Chris "Kirk's Dad" Hemsworth (who looks like a good Thor)
Kat "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" Dennings
Stellan "Bootstrap Bill Turner" Skarsgård
Ray "The guy that ruined The Punisher" Stevenson
Rene "Seriously? I hadn't heard she was in this." Russo
Clark "That SHIELD guy from Iron Man 1 & 2" Gregg
anarky

Post by anarky »

The things that most bugged me about Thor in the comics were the weird use of mythology (in that all the gods of all the different cultures are all real, and really gods, and seem to have no problem with one another) and the godawful mock-Shakespearean dialogue. The speech seems far more normal here, and (though it's tough to tell) Thor's comments about magic and science being the same thing to his people seems more like they're a race of extradimensional beings who were mistaken for gods by Norse culture.

If they find a role for Maia Brewton, this movie will be perfect.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

Diabolical wrote:The rest of the cast looks pretty good too:
Chris "Kirk's Dad" Hemsworth (who looks like a good Thor)
Kat "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" Dennings
Stellan "Bootstrap Bill Turner" Skarsgård
Ray "The guy that ruined The Punisher" Stevenson
Rene "Seriously? I hadn't heard she was in this." Russo
Clark "That SHIELD guy from Iron Man 1 & 2" Gregg
Hey! Go easy on Ray Stevenson, it's a paradox to suggest one of the reasons that Rome was so good is also one of the reasons Punisher War Zone was so bad. :wink:
Although, I couldn't argue with you if you made similar mention of Jigsaw (Dominic West from The Wire), because that part of the film was pretty rough. :lol:

I see Idris Elba and Colm Feore are also in Thor, that's great to hear!!! :D

I checked too late and didn't see the trailer but I'm willing to give this movie a chance regardless. :)
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

From what little I had heard up to this past week I really wasn't even thinking much about Thor- the few photos that have been released looked decent but with pretty much zero context I wasn't going to bother forming an opinion one way or the other. The past week changed that.

First, haven't seen it mentioned here yet but along with the helmets of Loki, Odin and Thor being shown at SDCC, the Infinity Gauntlet was also on display (although nobody would even hint at where it fits in, it totally exists and is going to happen) Given the cosmically huge story associated with it, I would imagine that it will show up here and there spread over several films- I would not be surprised if Avengers has some kind of massively powerful villain acting as a lackey for Thanos to acquire the gems, but that's just me.

Back, then, to Thor. The 5 minute "trailer" really got me stoked, despite the lack of any real hammer-time, the plot hints gave a sense of weight to it, and the design of Asgard/Valhalla is so 70's marvel it almost hurts. The "glowing gold" effect seems to have been captured perfectly, (seemingly) with lighting and materials choices, giving things a truly unearthly feel without resorting to going apeshit on really silly FX.

My dearest hope is that Manowar ends up with a soundtrack credit for at least one tune- I would imagine almost any part of this could be used depending on what part was being scored- the heavy bits after it really kicks in would be perfect for a fine ass-kicking bit, while the opening could serve well in a number of different establishing-type scenes- also enjoy the album cover "art", this was the first and last time the had an actual pic of themselves as a cover
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

mabudon wrote:First, haven't seen it mentioned here yet but along with the helmets of Loki, Odin and Thor being shown at SDCC, the Infinity Gauntlet was also on display (although nobody would even hint at where it fits in, it totally exists and is going to happen) Given the cosmically huge story associated with it, I would imagine that it will show up here and there spread over several films- I would not be surprised if Avengers has some kind of massively powerful villain acting as a lackey for Thanos to acquire the gems, but that's just me.
I almost hope that the Infinity Gauntlet is a cock tease and it's just something that sits in the background (like the Alien skull in Predator 2...before they fucked that up).
I just can't see this movie Iron Man or Hulk (and I'm assuming Captain America) going all galactic and shit.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

Again my logic for such a thing is that having the actual Avengers added to the mix, crazed people with powered suits is NOT going to cut it- they will need to be confronted by something a lot more dangerous than, say Crimson Dynamo and Titanium man working for Baron Zemo. Heck if I see one more marvel movie where the villain is just a dude with gadgets in powered armour and/or the exact same thing as the hero I don't know what I'll do (probably watch it illegally online :ducks:)

I honestly think that the "intro" films were made not-cosmic on purpose, to get the acceptance of the general viewing public built up before taking the characters in slightly more otherworldly directions. Bringing Thor into the established "realistic" universe shows that things like gods are very much a reality, once you have deities on the good guy side, you really gotta up your game- "The Avengers vs Paste-Pot Pete and his plot to take over the earth with sticky robot drones" would be a hell of a lot more of a stretch than say Kang vs Thanos vs earth or something hella cool like that- of course just my opinion
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

The Infinity Gauntlet has me excited for one reason.

Thanos, the Mad Titan, bitches. CGI. 10 feet tall. 6 feet wide. And voiced by Frank Welker on a mean day. That will fucking rule.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Rollo Tomassi wrote:And voiced by Frank Welker on a mean day.
i'd like to think his voice is more gravelly than welkers, like ed asner with the bass turned up to 11.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

My goto gravelly voice is Darkseid from SuperFriends (preferably jabbering about Bleens as currency) and that was Welker.

Michael Wincott with the base amped to 11 would be cool also.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

could go with 'superman: the animated series' darkseid, michael ironside.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Now that he's elderly and has the oldman gravel in his voice, Leonard Nimoy might sound cool after running it through the bass amp. He kicked ass as Galvatron.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Hawkeye is supposed to be in the movie. My excitement level dropped. :(

Joking, of course, even though Hawkeye is such a damn tool he makes Captain America look like he's not a tool (too early to come up with a decent snide comment). But the "shared universe" thing is starting to worry me. It's almost like they're trying too hard to put unrelated stuff in these movies simply to tease the next one(s). In the long run, if they keep it up, it could bite them in the ass when a lot of the movies aren't the stand-alone masterpieces they could be.

And what if (probably not the case, but, still, worth considering) Captain America is the biggest piece of shit ever? It makes the nods in Iron Man and Hulk 2 a lot less cool.