Thor

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Thor

Post by jjreason »

I would pretty much agree with diaballs. I liked it too, but didn't anywhere near love it. I would certainly watch it again at home, and likely will as we wind up getting the dvd versions for $5 out of the used bin a few months after they're released in most Marvel instances.

The main purpose of this movie, as I'm thinking it will be with Cap later this summer, is to start the buzz for Avengers - which ALREADY has everyone expecting something better than Star Wars. Doomed to failure, but I'll be there with my money to see it.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

jjreason wrote:The main purpose of this movie, as I'm thinking it will be with Cap later this summer, is to start the buzz for Avengers - which ALREADY has everyone expecting something better than Star Wars. Doomed to failure, but I'll be there with my money to see it.
Better than Star Wars? Doomed to failure?
I say no on both counts. I really think it will be an awesome flick. These Marvel flicks have done what I never thought possible...I actually like these characters now.* The very few Avengers related titles I've read over the years were boring as fuck and I wasn't at all excited to see Iron Man, but was blown away by it.
The Avengers cast is pretty damn good and I trust Joss Whedon 100%. Whedon can handle action, comedy and a big cast (see: Serenity).

*Well, the movie versions anyway.
I don't care how good the Iron Man comic is, Fraction is writing it.
Fuck him.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

A couple of my friends are always badmouthing Whedon as an overrated hack.
But he did Firefly. And he did Astonishing X-Men. Both of which are balls out fucking awesome.
Now factor in that he has Bob Downey, Sam Jackson, Jeremy Renner, and a whole slew of other great talents to work with, and presumably a sizeable fucking budget to accomodate his imagination, I am satisfied we'll get something good.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Rollo Tomassi wrote:A couple of my friends are always badmouthing Whedon as an overrated hack.
But he did Firefly. And he did Astonishing X-Men. Both of which are balls out fucking awesome.
Shit, forgot to mention Astonishing, which proves he can do superheroes.
And then there's Dr. Horrible, which was all kinds of awesome.
Never bothered with Buffy, Angel or Dollhouse.

Shit, if all he'd ever done is Firefly, I'd still give him a pass.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I never bothered with Buffy or Angel either. I did watch Dollhouse. For the first season anyway. Wasn't jaw dropping, but it was decent.

What I don't get is why Whedon continually goes back to Fox when he knows they're going to cancel his show the second its seen by anyone.

Whedon: "Hey Fox, I have this great premise for a new show!"

Fox: "awesome! We've been looking for a new show to cancel! Yours sounds like a perfect fit for what we're wanting to cancel."

Whedon:"Great, because its a fairly cerebral idea and will take awhile to set up the mythology of the show! I have long term plans for the characters over several seasons!"

Fox:"Perfect! Because we have plans to stick you in the shitty Friday night time slot as soon as possible. Followed by a quick cancellation!!"

Whedon:"Well, okay! I hope you guys don't fuck me over more than three or four times, because I only have so many great ideas that work as aborted TV ideas!"
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I still have yet to see or read anything by Whedon.

But the dude really was a dork at Comic-Con. (Not that that's a bad thing necessarily. :))

Wait, I take that back. I believe he had some involvement in the "real" Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the one with Kristy Swanson. And he co-wrote Toy Story. So he's cool enough in my book. Even if he acts like a dork. :D
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I also saw him at Comic-con. He was milling about the main floor (up towards the end with the fake weapons and fanatsy art of nekked girls and the big T-shirt booth). I walked by and said 'How is it you aren't being mauled by fans right now?'

But more importantly, you NEED to go watch Firefly. Ohmigod, rightthisverysecond you should go to Target or WalMart or BestBuy or KMart or wherever and buy it. Shut up that its not even 7:00 AM where you are. None of your jibbajabba excuses.

Can I get a unanimous 'Hell yeah!' From everyone else?

First you will weep at its awesomeness. Then you will go through the five stages of grief when you realize its not in its eighth season as it should be.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

All I'm saying is we're JACKED for Avengers. It's going to be a 2hour movie - I just don't see how something with this much buildup is ever going to live up to the hype. I don't think anything could. The fact that they've given it to Joss Whedon is EXTREMELY hopeful however.

Chux, I'm going to go ahead and say this now - though I reserve the right to change my opinion later:

Astonishing X-Men 1-24 & Giant Size #1 (finishing the story) is the best 25 issue run of any X-men series I have ever read.

I hope that encourages you to check them out - the Cassaday art on its own is worth the price of the 4 tbs.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Rollo Tomassi wrote:But more importantly, you NEED to go watch Firefly. Ohmigod, rightthisverysecond you should go to Target or WalMart or BestBuy or KMart or wherever and buy it. Shut up that its not even 7:00 AM where you are. None of your jibbajabba excuses.

Can I get a unanimous 'Hell yeah!' From everyone else?
HELL YEAH!

I think it is on sale for like $15 on DVD at Target (or it was recently, and goes on sale quite a bit).
Rollo Tomassi wrote:First you will weep at its awesomeness. Then you will go through the five stages of grief when you realize its not in its eighth season as it should be.
That is indeed the worst part - only 14 episodes (15 if you count the pilots as 2), 1 movie and a small handful of comics.
I personally would go as far as to say, as a whole, I like Firefly/Serenity more than Star Wars.

I've said this before, but I saw Serenity first and while I enjoyed it I really didn't get what the hype was about (and the impact of a few things didn't hit me as it should have). After watching Firefly I got it. In 14 episodes I became more attached this crew than I have in years of watching other shows. Every character was so fully realized and different from each other and I found that I genuinely liked each and every one of them. Rewatching Serenity after Firefly hit me like a reawakening (for a lack of a better description). It was the perfect compliment to Firefly, even though the film does feel a bit condensed at times, because it pretty much is season 2 in 2 hours. Even though I knew what was coming, there were certain parts that almost devastated me.

jjreason wrote:I just don't see how something with this much buildup is ever going to live up to the hype. I don't think anything could.
Is that so?
I have three words for you:
The.
Phantom.
Menace.
jjreason wrote:Chux, I'm going to go ahead and say this now - though I reserve the right to change my opinion later:

Astonishing X-Men 1-24 & Giant Size #1 (finishing the story) is the best 25 issue run of any X-men series I have ever read.
I would tend to agree except most of my X-Men reading days are from the 90s, so, yeah...my opinion on that may not hold that much weight.
jjreason wrote:I hope that encourages you to check them out - the Cassaday art on its own is worth the price of the 4 tbs.
I think some of it, in "Motion Comics" form, is now on Netflix Watch Instantly (or soon will be).
I don't know how high the production values are though.
At the very least, see if the library has Volume 1.
anarky

Post by anarky »

What are the new Firefly episodes airing on (oddly enough) The Science Channel? Are they just "new to this channel"?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:What are the new Firefly episodes airing on (oddly enough) The Science Channel? Are they just "new to this channel"?
Yep.

The internet would have melted if there really were NEW episodes of Firefly.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Rollo Tomassi wrote:Can I get a unanimous 'Hell yeah!' From everyone else?
HELL YEAH!

where's 'the congregation' when you need them?
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Diabolical wrote:
anarky wrote:What are the new Firefly episodes airing on (oddly enough) The Science Channel? Are they just "new to this channel"?
Yep.

The internet would have melted if there really were NEW episodes of Firefly.
If I won the Lottery, honest to god, the first thing I would do is go to Whedon and say 'I will front you the production costs of an entire season of Firefly. And the sales from the DVDs will pay for the following season, etc etc. But here's $30million to get things rolling. Call Fillion. Call everybody. Let's do this.'
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

A Firefly series revival will never happen and the longer it takes to do a theatrical sequel means its less and less likely to ever happen. However, I think that a series of Straight-to-DVD movies would be a great option.

Why Straight-to-DVD?

A non-theatrical release doesn't need a massive budget, just something slightly more money than a couple of episodes would take. Serenity only had a budget of $40 million and looked like it cost double that.

I doubt the cast would be expensive, as they've all said they'd hop back aboard Serenity in a heartbeat. Fillion would be the biggest paycheck, and he seems like the kind of guy that would do it for next to nothing.

At $20 (DVD) or $30 (Blu-Ray) a pop, the Browncoats alone could probably cover the production budget.

If successful, they could do one or two a year during summer tv hiatus. Castle is still going strong for Fillion, Chuck is done next summer, freeing Adam Baldin and Terminator and V have both been shit-canned, freeing Summer Glau and Morena Baccarin. I don't think the rest of the cast have any steady gigs.

I think the only real problem is a rights issue. I'm not totally sure, but I think Whedon owns the characters, but Universal owns the film rights and Fox owns the tv rights.

Yes, I've thought way too much about this.
anarky

Post by anarky »

So an educational channel is claiming it has new episodes of a popular fiction show (which I thought sounded odd, since ads on that channel were the only thing saying that), only they're not new. What's next? Larry the Cable Guy gets his own show on a channel that still calls itself "History Channel," but hasn't aired anything relating to history in three years?

I know Ax Road Pawn Stars and all that is popular. But, fuck, would it be too much to ask, since they've got at least seven supposedly educational channels, to make one of them "The Reality Shows That Have Nothing to Do With Anything Educational Channel"? And maybe "The UFO, Ghost, and Bigfoot Bullshit Channel"? Or, fuck, even make just one of them "The Semi-Educational Stuff the Other Six Channels Used to Air"?

Some of us actually like watching the semi-educational stuff. :(