Thor

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Thor

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Thor: The Dark World is the title of the sequel.

I honestly have no idea what story arc their adapting to get that title from.
Conventional Wisdom would suggest they do Walt Simonson's saga of Malekith the Dark Elf and the Casket of Ancient Winters(which they already used in the first film).
But "Dark World" suggests maybe Jurgen's Dark Gods from early in the 1998 series.
Or even DeFalco's "Black Galaxy" stuff. Introducing the Celestials would be fucking trippy. But unlikely.

In any case, I sincerely hope we get Beta Ray Bill. Just because. Horse skull aliens with big fucking axes are kewl.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Behold, the red flowing cape of...

"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Saw Thor 2 today in IMAX 3D. Holy crap, talk about knocking it out of the park. Everybody did outstanding work, even if they had small supporting roles be it Sif, Frigga, Odin, etc. While watching the middle act invasion of Asgard by the Dark Elves I had several thoughts running through my head. 1. This is how the Prequels should've been. 2. This is how a potential Masters of the Universe movie should look. There's a clever cameo by one of the other Avengers which was well done. I shant ruin it. The death was surprising, but the funeral scene was great. The second death was even more surprising.
But it paid off at the very end and gets you excited for Thor 3.
The mid-credit sequence, because of the costuming and set dressing(and to some extent the acting), reminded me of an episode of Star Trek from 1966.
The post-credit sequence was better than the IM3 one.

Something else occurred to me, how hilarious would it be if they cast Liam Hemsworth as Balder the Brave at some point?

This one was an excellent film. In its own way it's a good as The Avengers. It's better than the first one by far. Though to be fair the first one set a solid foundation for this one to build on. Alan Taylor did an excellent job directing. Highly recommended.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

I saw Thor 2 is regular 2D this afternoon, so no Cap preview, but the flick was crazy good. A big step up from the already great Thor 1. Great action and great effects. I read one review that said the flick has a lot of small faults but the rest is so good that the faults are easily forgivable. I agree. Easily the best superhero flick of the year.

I loved that semi-cameo.

I also had a lot of "they should've done the prequels like this" moments, especially a lot of the AOTC Naboo stuff, mainly the look of Asgard vs Naboo. There was one small bit in particular with Thor and Jane that echoed the "I hate sand, it gets everywhere" scene that Thor wins easily. And that funeral bit blew Padme's away.

There is one bit that bugged me a little bit...
The film starts with Loki's return and punishment but it isn't clear how much time passes after that. We suddenly have the rainbow bridge repaired with the new Bifrost? In The Avengers, Loki mentioned Odin must have had to conjure up a lot of dark energy to send Thor to Earth, implying the Bifrost was still down. It doesn't seem like its been that long between Loki's return and Thor's battles to return order to the Nine Realms. Jane says it has been 2 years since Thor 1, so I'm assuming 1 year since The Avengers.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I kinda felt like that wasn't the first time Odin had dragged him up there in chains to berate him. And it seemed like Thor had been off in the Nine Realms for awhile.

I'm gonna go see it again maybe on Tuesday.

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

it was fucking awesome. the subtle bits of humor were all great and the action was fantastic. the way it worked as a stand-alone movie and/or sequel to the original Thor movie, while working within the greater context of the over-arching franchise was impressive.

the mid-credit stinger was a lot of fun. for the record it was directed by James Gunn, director of the forthcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Hmm, glad to hear you queers liked it. Other reaction I've seen has been lukewarm so I'll have to check it out soon.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The Mighty Marvel Juggernaut rolls ever onward.
+1 for the music choice.

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

:hulkout:

Holy.

Fucking.

Shit!!

We have a fucking GotG sequel and an MCU Spidey with Michael Keaton looking like one of the best supervillains to appear on the big screen.

And this honestly looks like it could destroy them both.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I thoroughly enjoyed the retro-70s style neon font.

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Was he briefly possessed by his character from Ghostbusters?