Pixar Films!

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Pixar Films!

Post by vynsane »

i think finding nemo is my absolute all time favorite pixar flick, as it was the one my daughter latched onto when she was 1.5 y/o and still loves it, and i haven't gotten tired of it yet.

i like, though, that other animated movie companies are taking note that you don't need to have sexual or crass humor to entertain the adults while the kids like the 'pritty pitchers'. i loved shrek, but the second one was almost embarrassing - my wife (then g/f) and i took her cousin to see it and we were uncomfortable the entire time... so much that i didn't even bother seeing the third one. but now my daughter loves the first one, so we took her to see 'shrek forever after' and it was a LOT more tame and also just a lot better. same for 'how to train your dragon' which was great, and didn't have any of that crass humor to it. just an enjoyable flick.

anyway, in my estimation, here's the list of pixar movies i've seen from most favorite to less so.
  • finding nemo
  • wall-e
  • the incredibles
  • ratatouille
  • monsters, inc.
  • cars
  • toy story
  • toy story 2
  • up
  • a bug's life
this is not to say i don't like the lower ones, just that i like the upper ones more.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

I've only seen Finding Nemo once when it first came out on DVD. Same goes for Monsters Inc. When I visited my Mom back in April she gave me her copies of each, and I've been meaning to revisit them.

I'm not really sure I can pick a favorite, especially when it comes to Wall-E, Up, The Incredibles and the Toy Story flicks. They're all so damn good.
I remember thinking Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc. were just okay when I first saw them, but that may change when I watch them again.

I still haven't seen Ratatouille or Cars and still have no real desire to. Maybe someday. Maybe.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

rollo - we're thinking of going to see TS3 tonight - the one intense part that you're talking about, do you think it would be too much for a relatively sensitive 3.5 y/o girl? did you go with your kids and if so, what did they think?

EDIT: my wife is doing her own research with her mommy network in town and we have a bit more info on what is probably the scene you're talking about. one of the comments was that it's no more intense than the scene with the kid next door from the first movie - what would you say?
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Though I can't say from any kind of parents' perspective, here's my take on the scene, with the describing of the scene in spoiler text:
Near the end, all the main toys are about to be incinerated at the garbage dump with absolutely no discernible way out. They've tried to escape several times, but instead, they just accept their fate and hold each other's hands. But it gets resolved in spectacular fashion.
It's extremely sad and touching, but there were several very little kids in the audience, and I don't think any of them were screaming crying or anything. I don't think there's really anything to compare it to from the first two films - if there is, this moment is much longer than any of those.

Anyway, I also love Pixar (which I guess is kind of saying you love food or breathing). The previews before Toy Story 3 were pretty much all for kid-oriented films, and it was disheartening to see how terrible they all looked. Even Disney's Tangled, which is a take on the Rapunzel story, could have been a classic film like any of their old movies that took inspiration from classic tales; but, no, it has to be layered in sarcasm and snark and cynicism. It's a shame that today's kids have mostly shitty entertainment, but thankfully Pixar can still provide the good stuff.

I was a huge Toy Story fan back in the day, and I just rewatched the first two films before seeing the third, which I think made it much more poignant. I was six when the first one came out, and now I'm 20, so it's definitely hard to not identify with Andy a lot. For those of you who haven't seen it, you better run and go do it, as it's incredible. I'll throw my hat into the pile and say I got choked up quite a few times - it was honestly probably the most emotional I've been at a movie.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

SenorJabba hit the nail on the head with his Spoiler.

I would say its much more intense than the stuff with the rotten kid from the first movie.

As SenorJJL said, the part that affected me was when they stopped struggling and resigned themselves to their fate. I dunno, that part might go over a 4 year olds head. I didn't take my kids to see it yet, but I plan to. Maybe in 3D. I went with my "little" sister (she's 24 now) because she was like 8 when the first one came out and she was in town for Father's Day.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Newsbot
Official anchor of the vynsane 5 o'clock news

'Toy Story 3' Chock Full of Hidden Facts and Movie Reference

Post by Newsbot »

'Toy Story 3' Chock Full of Hidden Facts and Movie References

Click the link for a list of the Easter eggs in Toy Story 3. Not posting the article due to potential spoilers. But there are several references to Cars.
Putting the broad back into broadcasting.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I posted this on my facebook.
Here is a screencap from Toy Story 3 of a kid that looks suspiciously like Antropov's son.
Attachments
ts3.jpg
ts3.jpg (61.87 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Skipping the spoiler discussion for now.

Ratatouille is definitely worth seeing, DB. It's by Brad Bird. Brad Bird is the best of the Pixar bunch. He started on The Simpsons when it was the undisputed best show on TV, and went on to direct The Iron Giant. Then The Incredibles. That should be more than enough.

The closest to a sexual innuendo in any Pixar film is still something so innocuous it wouldn't offend most preachers. From The Incredibles, "You... married Elasti-Girl? And got BIZAY!"
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

it was a good finale to the series, but overall i thought it was very formulaic with the other two - the toys get lost/thrown out/otherwise separated from andy and no one thinks it was a mistake other than woody. it's the same premise three times now - i would've rather seen something more original.

the intense scene definitely affected my daughter, but not too much. overall she enjoyed it.

i missed most of the 'easter eggs' - man, there was a LOT of stuff hidden in there!
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Yeah, I haven't seen it, but expected A113 and some Pixar cameos. I also shat my pants when I saw Totoro in either an advance photo or trailer. That was unexpected and awesome, even if you can't actually get Totoros in the US. I'll have to keep an eye out for Sid.

I spoiled myself after all, and it was something I sort of expected. I was worried that JJL was going to say Buzz got killed saving Jessie from a dog or something. On the one hand, it's a kids' movie. On the other, if anyone had the balls to kill off a main character in a kids' franchise, it'd be Pixar.

My rankings (as of now):

The Incredibles
Toy Story 2
Wall-E
Ratatouille
Monsters Inc
Toy Story
Finding Nemo
Cars
A Bug's Life

Haven't yet seen Up or Toy Story 3. Haven't seen and am in no real hurry to see Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (which is Pixar, even if it doesn't look it).
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:Ratatouille is definitely worth seeing, DB. It's by Brad Bird. Brad Bird is the best of the Pixar bunch. He started on The Simpsons when it was the undisputed best show on TV, and went on to direct The Iron Giant. Then The Incredibles. That should be more than enough.
I love The Incredibles, and I can't speak for his Simpsons work because I didn't know he worked on it (or what he did). And I know it's sacrilege, but I really didn't care for The Iron Giant.
I think the main reason I'm in no hurry to see Ratatouille is Patton Oswalt. I just don't the guy is funny or entertaining in the least (and 90% of his recent Serenity comic kinda sucked).
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Diabolical wrote:And I know it's sacrilege, but I really didn't care for The Iron Giant.
BANNED!
I think the main reason I'm in no hurry to see Ratatouille is Patton Oswalt. I just don't the guy is funny or entertaining in the least.
DOUBLE BANNED!
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

anarky wrote: I'll have to keep an eye out for Sid.
He's literally in the very beginning and in the very end. The shirt is the only thing that gives it away.
Sweet berry wine!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

It's good to know Sid found honest work. I wonder if he realizes that is the family that lived next door to him when he was a kid?
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Diabolical wrote:I love The Incredibles, and I can't speak for his Simpsons work because I didn't know he worked on it (or what he did). And I know it's sacrilege, but I really didn't care for The Iron Giant.
I think the main reason I'm in no hurry to see Ratatouille is Patton Oswalt. I just don't the guy is funny or entertaining in the least (and 90% of his recent Serenity comic kinda sucked).
Ratatouille is not at the top of my list, but it's still good. I'm a fan of Patton Oswalt (he's hilarious in stand-up and he was great in Big Fan) but it's not like he's going around doing jokes in Ratatouille; it's more of a straight-up acting gig, and I think he's good for the role.

I haven't seen some of the films in a while, but here's my own Pixar list, from favorite to least, as of right now:

*Toy Story 3
*WALL-E
*Toy Story
*The Incredibles
*Monsters, Inc.
*Up
*Toy Story 2
*Finding Nemo
*Ratatouille
*A Bug's Life (it's just been so damn long, so it could be higher)
*Cars
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.