Phrases of dialogue that should be outlawed

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Phrases of dialogue that should be outlawed

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I'm more forgiving of a fart jokes in kids movies, than say an Adam Sandler or Kevin Smith movie. Little kids think farts are hilarious.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

One subtle fart joke (like the squid in Finding Nemo or the firefly in The Princess and the Frog) is fine. Even the ones in the first Shrek weren't bad (Donkey pissing on the fire was hilarious). But when these movies wind up looking like Terrance and Phillip because they're so chock full of fart jokes, the shark was jumped, mugged, beaten within an inch of its life, and left in a coma.

I think Disney can again pull off fart jokes, since John Lasseter (founder and longtime head of Pixar) is now in charge of all Disney animation.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

anarky wrote:One subtle fart joke (like the squid in Finding Nemo or the firefly in The Princess and the Frog) is fine. Even the ones in the first Shrek weren't bad (Donkey pissing on the fire was hilarious). But when these movies wind up looking like Terrance and Phillip because they're so chock full of fart jokes, the shark was jumped, mugged, beaten within an inch of its life, and left in a coma.

I think Disney can again pull off fart jokes, since John Lasseter (founder and longtime head of Pixar) is now in charge of all Disney animation.
One of the live action Scooby Doo movies really beat the fart joke into the ground. The movie would have been fine without Scooby's ongoing gas problem.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Step Brothers has a great fart scene.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Posted by someone else on facebook:
TEN THINGS I NEVER WANT TO SEE IN A MOVIE AGAIN

1. A suitcase full of cash.

2. A "tense" suspense sequence involving dollying around a person punching buttons on a cell phone/laptop.

3. A "type A" woman learning to loosen up and love life by falling in love.

4. A cartoon whose moral is that little girls can punch out, trip and confuse gooey aliens as easily as boys can.

5. A criminal who wants to get out--but only after that one last really big job.

6. The hot girl inexplicably falls in love with a guy who looks like Mr. Potato Head because he makes some witty quips about a cast member of "Party of Five."

7. Running through a gauntlet of goblins double-firing. Small pass if it's Milla Jovovich, no pass if it's Kate Beckinsale.

8. The best-laid plans of mice and men go awry.

9. Slacker goofball learns to grow up via marriage/children/button-down shirts.

10. The bad guy in the government organization standing next to the Big Board says into his Bluetooth, "I don't care what it takes--just take him out! NOW!"
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

When somebody is chasing the badguy through a hospital or a hotel and invariably a wheelchair or the cleaning cart comes out of a doorway to inhibit the protagonist. It happens so often it makes me think they should have special wheelchair avoidance classes at the police academy.

Oh, and the badguy invariably escapes by running through the kitchen area of hospital/hotel. Which makes me think SOP is to immediately send units to the kitchen area and wait for the perp to run there.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Diabolical wrote:1. A suitcase full of cash.
reminds me of 'dodgeball' - "I don't know if you've ever seen a hundred thousand dollars before, except, perhaps, in the movies, but let me show you something that gets lost, in the translation."
Rollo Tomassi wrote:When somebody is chasing the badguy through a hospital or a hotel and invariably a wheelchair or the cleaning cart comes out of a doorway to inhibit the protagonist. It happens so often it makes me think they should have special wheelchair avoidance classes at the police academy.
i just watched "wayne's world 2" the other day and they have that scene in the beginning with the guys whose job it is just to stack crates of chickens and watermelons and the other guys who walk back and forth with the plate-glass window, just so later in the movie wayne can crash into all of it.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran

Post by Ran »

vynsane wrote:
i just watched "wayne's world 2" the other day and they have that scene in the beginning with the guys whose job it is just to stack crates of chickens and watermelons and the other guys who walk back and forth with the plate-glass window, just so later in the movie wayne can crash into all of it.
That was the first thing I thought of when I read Rollo's post.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

When the protagonist of a story finds himself incarcerated in prison and the cliche gets dropped he's 'responsible for putting half the scumbags in here'.

Really? ONE GUY is responsible for half the arrests in said jurisdiction? Ridiculously implausible.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I was thinking about the "not in kansas, toto" cliche.

You see the hero and his team or whatever get taken to this completely hi-tech underground secret base by the USGovt. and all these guys in white labcoats. Like the Stargate entrance or whatever. And somebody makes the Kansas joke, and then one of the labcoats guys says, "Actually this facility is in an abandoned Cereal Factory just outside of Abilene. So actually you ARE still in Kansas..."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Anything to do with Roswell.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Problem with Roswell, as cliche as it is, nerds expect at least a reference to it in any UFO movie now.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I've driven through Roswell. Its a shit hole.

I got a couple after watching half of For Your Eyes Only last night.

Shooting a pistol out of someone's hand.

People flying backwards after being shot by a either a gun or especially a crossbow.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Shooting a gun while jumping/diving to the floor/running/etc.

Computers that are lightning quick - People sit down at a computer and they don't have to boot it up or even turn the monitor on. Three keystrokes (or clicks) later, they have the info they need.
Except when someone is coming. Then the computer is suddenly slow, but manages to print everything just in time.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I was watching one of those insipid CSI shows the other night, and apparently that little bluelight wand they have makes ANY evidence relative to the case they are working on glow. Regardless of whether its stains on carpet or some specific type of metal shavings leaving a trail through the grass in the backyard. Crime solving is easy as pie with the magic bluelight wand!