Spider-Man 4 is dead; Reboot to follow.

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Spider-Man 4 is dead; Reboot to follow.

Post by Diabolical »

Both Raimi and Maguire have walked away and Sony is going to reboot the series.
Yikes.

Spider-Man 4 Scrapped; Raimi and Maguire Gone; Sony Plans Franchise Reboot for 2012

WHOA. As I mentioned earlier, Nikki Finke just recruited Variety’s chief newshound Mike Fleming, and now the new duo are coming out of the gate with a massive story. Their first big report is that Sony is scrapping Spider-Man 4 after script and schedule concerns caused Sam Raimi to walk away from the film. The scuttled sequel has already been confirmed by a Sony Pictures press release, and the studio will now go for a full franchise reboot. New director, new cast. Details after the break.

Finke and Fleming’s report says the decision was made just today, and that the studio will start over with a “franchise reboot” script by James Vanderbilt. They quote sources reporting that Raimi said he couldn’t make the picture’s 2011 release date and maintain quality standards.

The Sony press release offers more info. Shorn of back-patting quotes, the core info is as follows:

Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012. Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.

That means no Malkovich, no Vulture, no Vulturess, and no more Kirsten Dunst. Let’s see what Sony comes up with now; bets on a thinly-translated Ultimate Spider-Man adaptation? Reboot writer James Vanderbilt wrote an early draft of Spider-Man 4, and had been hired to write the presumptive fifth and sixth films.

When that deal for SM5 and 6 came down last August, the possibility of those scripts being the basis for a reboot was mentioned, so this isn’t an utter left-field surprise. Though a studio scrapping a film as potentially massive as Spidey 4 in favor of a reboot is still a huge deal; this is nothing like rebooting the Hulk, or Ghost Rider or Fantastic Four.

What next for Raimi? Will he go directly on to World of Warcraft, the Dennis Lehane adaptation The Given Day, or something else? (Another smaller film?) All things considered, you’ve got to guess that he and Tobey Maguire are both more happy than anything else to get away from increasingly difficult franchise.
slashfilm
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Spider-Man 4 is dead; Reboot to follow.

Post by mabudon »

Just read this elsewhere but figured comments would best be spent here
After only hours ago reading that they were sticking with Vulture as the main villain (and that "Vulturess" was still to be the new Felecia Hardy alias as far as I know) this is somehow even worse news IMO

The notion of a "reboot" means that everything has to be thrown out, yet the series had already established a solid stride (and yes, I am one of the few who actually enjoyed 3, it was nothing quite like 2 but I have enjoyed watching it every time and IIRC that's 3 full viewings)
I really had no problems with the "universe" so far, and I shudder to think what the new incarnation might look like- that's not even considering that a reboot will likely mean we get to see the goblin family and Doc Ock and Venom all over again (and seeing as I hate Venom, this time he would be super fan-wank and I would have to boycott the film on principle)

I must say Spiderman 2 will be on my "top 10 films of all time" list forever, so no matter what may come (and who knows, it could be an interesting new angle, but this is about as ridiculous as re-making 300 or something at this point) I can rest easy knowing that what is possibly the PERFECT Spiderman film was indeed made :beard:
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

mabudon wrote:Just read this elsewhere but figured comments would best be spent here
Exactly why I posted it here.
mabudon wrote:The notion of a "reboot" means that everything has to be thrown out, yet the series had already established a solid stride (and yes, I am one of the few who actually enjoyed 3, it was nothing quite like 2 but I have enjoyed watching it every time and IIRC that's 3 full viewings)
I enjoyed Spider-Man 3 also. Besides the weird emo-Parker, my only real problem was there was far too much crammed into the film. It felt like 2 films condensed into 1 (which it probably should have been 2 films).
mabudon wrote:I must say Spiderman 2 will be on my "top 10 films of all time" list forever
Ditto. Or at the very least my Top 3 comic book movies of all time.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

wow... processing. i'll get back to you.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran

Post by Ran »

If the movie is dead, why is Target selling adult men's spiderman underwear? My wife offered to buy me a pair, but I declined.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

I was gonna post something about vyn having to sequester himself for a few months after reading that, and no there it is.

I read more on this in various sources- seems the powers that be wanted Spiderman to be more contemporary and- wait for it- "grittier" and "darker", which is just plain ridiculous.

Agreed with you, Diablo, about 3- the plot and pacing were uneven and it really was a mistake to have all them characters, but (especially when I first saw it on the small-screen) the action sequences were truly awesome and a lot of the goofier bits were truly Marvel classics (the scene where Peter first realizes Harry had his mind wiped and the subsequent "shit man something is gonna trigger his memory and THEN what?" bits were masterful) I didn't even mind the much-lamented ret-con of the origin, it was almost perfect "marvel death" type BS and almost deserved its own no-prize "oh Peter just didn't notice cos he was so traumatized by Uncle Bens death, but we assure you that this is actually what happened, serious!"

So yeah, 4 (and if it's a reboot what will the new franchise be called?? I would think "the amazing Spiderman" will probably get the nod, just like the different Hulk movies)

It's funny, I was totally hoping that in Spiderman 4, Spidey could face some kind of "light" villain- one that has no deep personal connection to Peter, like Mysterio or Electro. Mysterio works best for my vision, he'd just be a really skillful, intelligent yet smart-assed criminal, out to steal EVERYTHING. Spidey could be in classic form, the "frame-up" of Spidey could happen properly, and best of all, Spidey could ACTUALLY BEAT THE FUCKING VILLAIN AND PUT HIM IN JAIL for once- while I was thinking about this, I realized EVERY DAMN VILLAIN in the first 3 Spiderman movies LITERALLY KILLS THEMSELVES either by accident or on purpose (the exception being Sandman, but he DID get away, leaving Spidey with an 0-5 record essentially)
Vince, NO!!!!!

mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

also, I can't stop being PISSED OFF at this crap. I sent Anarky a little note on facebox about it since I am sure he could use the distraction and if you want distraction, this would be the thing to do it- it kinda blew my mind when the news broke, I so wanted it to be a hoax, and then the official release from Sony dashed my hopes

EDITED to add- I am having fun trying to guess how long it will take Vyn to post in this thread- hours, days, weeks?
I could hear his head implode from here, I hope he's alright :ducks:
Vince, NO!!!!!

Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

So they're thinking about making a movie about a high schooler that grapples with being a kid and a superhero? I thought that was called Smallville...
Sweet berry wine!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

haha, nice.

in all seriousness, i'm not as distraught as one might expect. we got two awesome spider-man movies and one alright spider-man movie out of the last decade. but there were mistakes made - making mary jane into gwen stacy, rushing through high school, all villains dying, at least half of spider-man 3. a reboot is a chance to correct those mistakes. tobey was a great peter parker, but i had issues with kirsten as MJ. malkovich as the vulture would've RULED (i'm not hearing anything that says he definitely won't still be).

the most lamentable fact is no more bruce campbell cameos.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

I liked Spidey 3, all except the Jazz bar scene. Too much. Agreed it was a lot into one movie. Fuckin Reboots suck.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I didn't care for the third Spidey as much as the rest of you, but the first two are gold. It's funny that the studio didn't take into account everyone loves the first two, and the complaints are all about the third, realize it was due to their tampering, and go hands-off rather than the other direction.

The biggest question: why the hell couldn't they do Spidey 4 with a different director and actor rather than a reboot? Rebooting a recent, successful franchise seems stupid. There's no other way to put it.

Course, with the hard-on for reboots the studios have lately, we might get a decent GIJoe movie sooner rather than later.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Auxiliary
sloth

Post by Auxiliary »

Oh god... GI-Joe that was terrible, beyond terrible. Spidey 3 was pure arse, crying like a little bitch.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Marc Webb* ((500) Days of Summer) has signed on to do a new Spider-Man trilogy.

I wonder what the odds of him getting Joseph Gordon-Levitt cast as Spidey are?
I think he would make a decent choice.

Sidenote: I think Gordon-Levitt could also possibly step in Heath ledgers shoes as the Joker in Batman 3.

Details

*Insert your own Spider/Webb joke.
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

I disagree 100% on Gordon-Levitt as the Joker and/or Spiderman. As much as I dislike Tobers as an actor, I think this guy is even worse.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Should a *gasp* Black Guy play Peter Parker?

Donald Glover, a young black actor on the comedy Community wants to play Spider-Man. At the very least he wants the opportunity, and an audition. I say let him try. The only reason Peter Parker is white is because of the conventions of the era in which he was created. Conventions which no longer apply 50 years later. If Stan Lee had created Spider-Man this year, he may very well have been black.

To be perfectly frank, we already had the traditional white guy play Spidey for 3 films. So if if it came down to it, and this guy was the best choice out of all the people who auditioned, I wouldn't be opposed to see him in the role. Certainly better then Billy fucking Elliot.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie