Spider-Man 4 is dead; Reboot to follow.

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Spider-Man 4 is dead; Reboot to follow.

Post by Tom Foolery »

Saw Homecoming today. Great film with lots of sass and action.

Had two minor nitpicks. I thought they missed an opportunity by not calling Donald Glover's character Hobie Brown instead of Aaron Davis. But after doing a little research, it turns out Aaron Davis is the Ultimate version of Hobie Brown's alter ego, and also Miles Morales' uncle to boot. So that potential is there in future films.
And while Zendaya's character was well done and likable, shoehorning that reference in at the end just felt off. It wasn't as bad as Joseph Gordon-Levitt at the end of DKR, but there was no reason why that could've been a "new" character. Not everything has to be a goddamn Easter egg.

Although there were a lot of cool Easter eggs. And cameos.

Keaton made a very good villain. He was the bad guy, but he had a legitimate story arc and was not just a mustache twirler. I like that Spidey's Rogue bench is so deep, they've hardly had to return to the well. Goblin being the only exception.

It's hard to rank the Spidey movies as I've enjoyed them all, apart from Spidey 3. But this one is towards the top of the list.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Late to the party but I really loved it. The Marvel Movies, like the comics, are a bit formulaic at times (not a complaint), but this was well outside the mold enough that every minute & every scene had something new & enjoyable. Will definitely watch again once it's available for home viewing.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I'm going again today or tomorrow with the kids, my sister and mom.

I'm looking forward to the day when Fox looks at how Sony's deal with Marvel boosted Spidey's box office and they bring the X-Men movies back to the MCU and the first movie they immediately announce is a Spider-Man/Deadpool movie.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i thought it was awesome, the best spidey movie to date. yes, better than raimi 1 & 2. where tobey maguire was a great peter and lackluster spidey, and andrew garfield was a better spidey but hot mess of a peter, tom holland really is equally excellent at both.

are we doing spoilers for plot specifics, or has everyone seen it? just in case...

the absolute only (incredibly minor) issue i had was with the MJ reveal at the end. i don't care that she has a different skin color or characterization, or anything. but MJ's name isn't Michelle. it's Mary. and it's Jane. and they only changed the name to make it a shocking revelation at the end that didn't need to exist.

i really thought Liz was Liz Allen, so to end up being Liz Toomes was actually genuinely surprising to me.

the end-credits stinger was hilarious.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The parental plot twist was very real. I think I have a bruise on my chest from my chin. That girl is already absolute fire, 3-4 more years to take the edge off the creepiness and I will be planning on leaving Jodi for her. Not kidding. Ok maybe a little.

Have they already inked Childish Lando-bino to continue on as Prowler or is that up in the air?

Did you guys have the Wakanda trailer in front? That was also pretty pulse pounding.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I had the plot twist ruined for me by spoilers, but it was still a great reveal. The scene in the car on the way to homecoming was also very well done.

I can't see casting Donald Glover in such a minor role and NOT looking at the potential for future films. But really, there's so many setups and you've got TWO Avengers movies to get thru before getting to the sequel, I feel like a Prowler subplot is a minor thing.

No Panther trailer for me, dammit. I had to sit thru Pitch Perfect 3, Daddy's Home 2, Geostorm, and the Eric Stoltz Mask prequel.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

It was fine. They're going to throw a lot of "urban/street" into the movie, which I guess has to be there. I really enjoyed (on second read more than the first) the 13 issues of Black Panther which took place almost completely (or was it 100 percent completely?) in Wakanda - I think there is way more than enough there without having to take the show to Manhattan. It will be a good movie like Dr Strange was a good movie, but it won't be Spider-Man or Cap.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

She recorded all her dialogue while wearing a wife beater and rocking on a mechanical horse in Target.

You can’t disprove that. So just have that visual while rewatching the movie.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

How did you not know that? I feel like it was well publicized when the film came out.

Its pretty fitting, considering she's married to Paul Bettany.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

probably because i try to avoid any and all publicity/spoilers for basically every film i'm interested in. was watching it again today while i worked from home and looked the voice up on IMDB because i was like "who is that, she sounds sexy" and lo and behold, she is.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Karen? As in Plankton's wife in Spongebob Squarepants? Never thought they would do a Spiderman/Spongebob crossover.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Jake Gylenhaal is in talks to play the villain in Homecoming 2 and I was like “Sweet! He’s playing Kraven!”
But no. He’ll be playing Mysterio. Which is okay I guess.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I'm wondering if Mysterio is a curveball - would they reveal who the villain is this early? I guess maybe they would.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

SPPOILERRRRRSSSS for Spider-Man 7...er...2...er...whatever. Homecoming 2.

You’ve been warned!!

Code: Select all

Plot details on the SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING sequel from a reliable source.

Set after AVENGERS 4. Peter is revived, and it appears Tony Stark will indeed die and Peter will be mourning his death. The plot revolved around something groundbreaking that Stark has created, and which is stolen and Spider-Man must retrieve.

Set mainly in London. Peter and his friends are there for a conference sponsored by Stark Industries. MJ, Ned, Liz, Flash and Aunt May are returning, alongside the Midtown students and staff from HOMECOMING. Gwyneth Paltrow is also supposed to appear as Pepper Potts.

Mysterio is the main villain. He is an international thief and master of illusion, who has stolen Stark’s creation at the behest of a mysterious employer. Apparently, there are plans to include the fishbowl helmet, but he will not wear it throughout the movie.

Jessica Drew is a MI6 operative pursuing Mysterio, who begrudgingly teams up with Spider-Man to stop him. She has no superpowers, but is a combat expert and skilled tactician.

Peter develops a rivalry with a new student, Alistair Smythe, a technology prodigy who is determined to upstage him. Smythe is “manipulative” and tries to turn Peter’s friends against him. His father, Spencer Smythe, works for Stark Industries.

Vulture and Scorpion will appear in minor roles. Scorpion is apparently working for the same man who hired Mysterio to steal Stark’s creation, and they attempt to get Vulture to betray Spider-Man’s identity to them.

Mysterio’s employer is apparently a major villain from the comics and will be prominent in SPIDER-MAN movies going forward. No word on who he is yet, but he will have a minor appearance in the movie. Marvel and Sony eyeing A-list actors. Casting won’t be officially announced. Supposed to be a surprise twist.

Yes, they are building up to the Sinister Six, but they are not guaranteed for a potential third movie in the series.

The title (so far) is SPIDER-MAN: FIELD TRIP.