Batman Begins: The best superhero film of all time

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Batman Begins: The best superhero film of all time

Post by anarky »

Something about someone named Miranda.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Ran wrote:Oh, and anyone have any idea on how much longer dark movies will be the trend?
I'm pretty tired of this trend, too. The Avengers wasn't "dark," and even its evil characters were baddies in the melodramatic vein, and it was the most fun movie I've seen in years. I'm all for keeping the world of a fantastical movie somewhat realistic, but "gritty" doesn't automatically equal "realistic."

That said, I love The Dark Knight, but for some reason nothing I've seen from TDKR makes me go "I HAVE TO SEE THAT RIGHT NOW!!!" The Aurora shit certainly didn't help, either.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Unfortunately (whether you love them or hate them), films like Speed Racer and John Carter, which realize that you don't have to be dark and gritty and faux-realistic to be good and strive to be fun movies, don't often do well at the box office. There are exceptions, like Avengers (which is, granted, a huge exception), but dark seems to be the flavor of the day.

Too bad; two of the (truly) darkest, best, and also most family-friendly movies I've seen are The Empire Strikes Back and The Magnificent Seven. Nothing in either I wouldn't let a 10-year-old see. Some mild language in both, and there's the exchange in TMS about how Chris is sort of insulted that the farmers just assumed the gunmen would abuse the women, but it would go over the heads of anyone too young to understand.

Truthfully, TDKR looks more over-the-top than TDK, which I'm looking forward to. I still say TDK is like a great crime movie that they dropped Batman and Joker into.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Some movies NEED to be seen on the big screen the first time you watch them. Granted, these films are becoming fewer and fewer as time goes on. But TDK3 is on that list.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

Shouldn't it be BB3 or TDK2? :lol:
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

If its getting called "The Dark Knight Trilogy" then the easiest way to differentiate TDK from TDKR is calling it TDK3.
You could shorten it to DKR, but I've always reserved that for Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns. And since there are certain elements from DKR in TDK3, referring to them both as DKR becomes problematic. And DK3 is clearly Donkey Kong 3, so that's off the table as well.

Hence TDK3
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Finally saw it and it made me like the other 2 movies better, it was that good. I honestly wouldn't have changed a single thing - even though some of the "surprises" were a little transparent it was perfect.
"Something inside me....."
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

They pushed Gangster Squad from Sept back to January. That seems strange because you'd think they would want to be eligible for Oscar Noms.
anarky

Post by anarky »

And are re-filming or cutting the theater scene.

Warner Bros: Letting terrorists win since 2012.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I finally am going to see this tonight, but, thanks to all sorts of assholes all over the fucking internet, I already know the deal with He-Who-Played-Cobra-Commander.

Seriously, great that you got to fucking go the first week. Everyone on Earth doesn't have that privilege. You can all collectively fuck yourselves*. I hope you're not on fire, because I wouldn't piss on you.

Not aimed anyone here, of course, but, god damn, I want to fucking put my foot in some asses. I think I'm going to sign up for one of those "early premiere" clubs and post spoilers all over the fucking interwebs before the movie comes out.

*--Being pluralized, Zero does not hold this trademark.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

They telegraph it so much throughout the film, you'd have figured it out anyway.
anarky

Post by anarky »

And, mother fuck fuck, I guess this will be the first Batman movie to be released in my lifetime that I don't see in the theaters.

Fuck my life. Because someone already did.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Sucks your plan got shanghaied. Hopefully it will stick around long enough you get another chance.
I'm taking the kids in the morning. The Boy never saw the other two films because he was five when TDK came out and his mother and I thought the Joker's "Magic Trick" would be too intense for him(truthfully, the Joker's entire performance) Which, of course, snowballed in the intervening four years into him thinking the Batman films are some kind of hybrid of Friday the 13th and Texas Chainsaw Massacre scarefests.
Anyway, he's almost ten now, and he's played Arkham Asylum and Arkham City on XBox and seen other PG-13 films(ive seriously had to convince him to watch other PG-13 films because he associated that rating with "SCARY BLOODY" or whatever. Even though it's probably because somebody said "Shit" once or you see a bare butt for one second onscreen.)
So we watched Batman Begins. He loved it.
So then we watched The Dark Knight I warned him when and where the 'pencil' happens so he could avoid it. Even though he knows exactly what the premise of the 'trick' is from everyone telling him. Aside from that, he loved that film as well. He totally got excited when he realized Two-Face was in the movie. Since he doesn't get the Harvey Dent thing, he didn't realize that would happen. He also wasn't clear about the ending when Batman says he'll take the rap for killing the cops so I had to explain that a bit.
Short story long, we're going to see Dark Knight Rises matinee in the morning. He's a lucky turd. I had to wait three goddamn years between 1 and 2, and four goddamn years between 2 and 3. And he gets all 3 in 48 hours.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Eh, it's still around here. Just not in this town. Or for $2.50. I might actually blow the $12 to see it in another city if I have a chance next week. (I've already confirmed the local theater is replacing it with Expendables 2, which would be awesome if I'd seen DKR, and if I had a car big enough to transport my balls, given how supermassive they'd be afterwards.)

Seriously, $2.50 (okay, on Wednesdays, with other days being $3.75 matinee/$5 general admission). Needless to say, even though it's a relatively tiny screen and doesn't have the best sound system, that theater is almost always sold the fuck out. Doesn't help that they don't pre-sell tickets and only open the box office a half hour before a showing. But I can almost see five movies for what one costs me anywhere else.

With the scope of the spoilers, though, I'm already thinking it's less a "Batman movie" and more a "movie musing upon Batman."
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Perhaps. But on the other hand, you're so well versed in the comic lore of all the characters involved, it's not like anything in the film is coming out of left field. A novice might've been surprised, but you'll be going "Aha. I know where they are going with this subplot or that subplot."
I did. And that was without me biting at every little scrap of spoiler or speculation that came out beforehand. Nolan's foreshadowing this time around bordered on hamfisted.
I'm looking forward to seeing it a second time.