Batman Begins: The best superhero film of all time

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Batman Begins: The best superhero film of all time

Post by Diabolical »

I was just so excited to see the flick that 90% of the obvious shit was lost on me. It was afterward when I thought, "How did I miss that?"
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Maybe I'll think differently when I see it, but I'm getting really sick of stories whose point seems to be "Batman is just a costume and it doesn't matter who's under the mask."

This is the opposite of what was whole point of Batman comics for the entire time I read them. The Knightfall Saga/Prodigal proved it--not even Dick should be Batman; he's his own man now. The only other person who should be Batman is Tim, who's being trained specifically for it and will continue to be for years.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I always thought Jason Todd should've been Batman the second time.

BTW, Watching the film a second time, I saw what people were joking about the sun going down in a matter of minutes. When Bane and his thugs leave the Stock Exchange it's clearly daylight out. Not even dusk or evening. And then a short motorcycle chase later(less than eight minutes if we believe the plot point) it's full on night time.

And sending ALL your Police into the tunnels is tactically stupid. I know that had to serve a story point, but it's a really idiotic move.

I understood more of Bane's mumbling this time, but that was more from context than him being clear.

Also, I wondered why Bruce built a fully functioning Batcave under Wayne Manor in the intervening eight years if he was retired.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

finally saw it this past weekend.

frankly, i found the shift from Chicago to NYC as the over-all backdrop of Gotham City VERY jarring, almost to the point that it took me out of the 'world'. i really thought using Chicago set it apart from other Superhero movies - especially the Spideys and The Avengers.
anarky wrote:Seriously, $2.50 (okay, on Wednesdays, with other days being $3.75 matinee/$5 general admission). Needless to say, even though it's a relatively tiny screen and doesn't have the best sound system
well, that's not going to help you understand Bane - or anyone else in the movie, for that matter. the sound mixer apparently takes his/her job way too literally and actually adds the sound of a cement mixer into every scene. i swear to god, the sound has been horrible for all three movies. i couldn't understand a thing gordon said at the end of TDK, and most of the softly-spoke scenes this time around weren't any better. didn't catch most of what gordon said to blake after they escaped the hospital, but i got the gist. that said, i could understand Bane a LOT better than in the trailers/commercials.

over-all, like previous installments, i enjoyed it despite its flaws and my wife hated it. she has such a hate-boner for these movies. but her criticisms were not unfounded. like...
  • if bruce has no more cartilage in his knees, how does he get out of the pit (or do anything that he does, for that matter)? they have a lot of cortisone shots laying around the cells? they showed that knee brace bionic augmentation thing once, but he doesn't have it with him in the pit...
  • ALL DA COPS ARE TRAPPED! this would never happen, as pointed out earlier.
  • don't worry, all the batman vehicles and weapons are safe and secure... separated from the bad guy by one foot of concrete that he could never, ever get through... i didn't think all the construction that was going on right beneath the armory was anything to worry about.
  • i wish blake had been introduced from the beginning of the series. his rise through the ranks from anonymous beatcop to gordon's go-to guy seemed a bit too fast, and too convenient. also, his disappointment in gordon didn't stop him from working along-side him.
  • what funds are going to be used to allow blake to be batman? is it all on blake to figure that one out or something? also, how is he going to operate in secret if there are a billion and a half orphaned boys living in wayne manor? at least there will be no shortage of robins to choose from...
  • on that note, blake's real name being 'robin'. really? that's lame.
  • not enough alfred, really! WTF, he left?
  • oh, yeah, we've had nuclear fusion for a while now. no big whoop. sure, there is a lot of sci-fi like tech, but it was always grounded in reality. there's a huge difference between an armored truck that jumps and nuclear fusion. The Bat is even more believable and more in line with the 'reality' take of the previous two installments.
and the good:
  • anne hathaway's performance was outstanding. and not just because of how hot she looked (very). the alternating self-assured, sassy, sultry vibe and vulnerable, in-over-her-head, grounded-in-reality portrayals really felt genuine and neither one felt like an act vs. reality for the character. unfortunately, i don't really have much to go on for tom hardy. he certainly was muscular, i suppose. does that count as acting?
  • bale had less of an annoying batman voice this time around.
  • the main bane/batman fight was great. the suspense of knowing what would happen, but not HOW it would happen or what the ultimate outcome was going to be was intense.
  • the switcheroo between bane and mirandatalia got me. the missus wasn't surprised because of the "the chick did it" trope.
  • The Bat was fucking cool.
  • i legitimately welled up with tears three times - the end of the first bane/batman brawl, when batman revealed who he was to gordon, and especially because of how he did it, and when alfred was crying at bruce's grave.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

holy shit, did i write this without knowing?

If The Dark Knight Rises was 10 Times Shorter and More Honest

they even mention the basketball that was used for Spidey's costume in ASM!
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

I still haven't seen this and I'm frankly in no rush to do so. I already heard a lot of spoilers - Bruce Wayne dies, or doesn't really die or some shit, so I guess that's not a spoiler, but Joseph Gordon-Levitt's real name is Robin, which strikes me as really retarded. I dunno why.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I've read so many comments where people flip their shit because of that part of the movie. It didn't bother me all that much. Yes, I can see the validity of someone objecting to how it went down. And it could've been done in a better and different way(like just using a more obvious name than John Blake. I mean, the movie telegraphed the reveal the entire time anyway. And you've got five or six names to choose from).
But I don't get how you go from "Hey I liked the movie!" and then you hear "_____" and all the sudden it's "Gawd that movie was stupid and shitty!"

Remember, 99% of the Worldwide Audience aren't Comic Nerds. It was just shorthand and the quickest way to establish the 'connection' of the character.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Should've called him Jean-Paul Valley. :)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Or Jason Todd.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Yeah, but use any Robin, and you're playing favorites. Also, any of them (particularly Dick or Tim) would be obvious. No non-geek would pick up on JPV.

Plus, he's the only man I'll accept as replacing Bruce Wayne as Batman for more than a month's worth of comics.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Grayson could've worked also.
I like it as is. It's a fun little touch.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

That's because I AM playing favorites.

"He slipped."
Ran

Post by Ran »

Was "Robin" the first name? Maybe the last name was Flantdig.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Ran wrote:Was "Robin" the first name? Maybe the last name was Flantdig.
We need a "like" button. Vyncent?
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I keep watching those clips from the animated Dark Knight Returns movie. Peter Weller as Batman is awesome. I'm excited.