How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

vynsane
master of the universe

Re: How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

Post by vynsane »

saw it on thursday night but only had the opportunity to sit down and discuss now.

i'm very surprised by the polar opposite reactions to this movie. for the record, i'm on the side of "it was awesome".
jjreason wrote:- the projection of the Force Astral Form threw me for a loop, but I DID ask myself if Luke was "really there" when he first appeared with Leia. He looked like Flashback Luke... I guess the blue lightsaber was another clue now that I sit here typing, since had already seen its fate play out on screen
third clue was that he didn't leave red footprints. they not only specifically called out the whole "it's salt!" thing at the beginning of the battle, but had two closeups of both Ben's and Luke's feet during the duel. this is not something i picked up on, mind you, it's something i read and then remembered after the fact due to an answer on this scifi.stackexchange question. the answers there bring up great points, in that it's Luke projecting his idealized Jedi Legend version of himself.
jjreason wrote:- the reveal of Rey's parentage (if that's the truth) was a relief. So glad not everything has to be connected to the Skywalker lineage, it makes the story so much bigger
agreed. they basically could have made one or both of Rey's parents someone integral to the saga, and there's always a way - Ben could have been lying - but in a way this is so much more powerful. you don't need to have a legacy to be a hero. i think it's also the only solution that wouldn't have felt forced (no pun intended, but gleefully offered).
jjreason wrote:- someone confirm with me that the youngling at the end uses the force to grab the broom. I wanted to believe he did but it was subtle, or else I wasn't focusing on that part of the frame. I'm literally 100 percent sure he did, just seeking confirmation
confirmed.

_________

i really like that article you linked to at motherboard. it definitely makes sense to me, it puts into words things that i felt but couldn't express. it mentions how the prequels show a civilization at or even just past the peak of its greatness, headed for decline - largely awful or at the very least ineffective people in beautiful surroundings. this is mirrored by the world Canto Bight - Rose says she wishes she could put her fist through the entire city. i think i read peaches say that exact thing about the prequels themselves.

it's interesting that the mosaic in the reflecting pool in the temple features basically a yin/yang motif. the original Jedi obviously acknowledged that light and darkness are two sides of the same coin, something the Jedi Order we saw in the prequels had disavowed, or at least forgotten.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

The Tico sisters' medallions also appear to be a form of yin and yang.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

That was very fitting (yin yang motif), as the Jedi & Daoism have a clear link. I'm hoping no one is taking offence to it. In 2017, one can never be sure. ><

I am down to being good with it at this point, aside from the Leia spacewalk & her not being written out of the story at this point.... those I still can't fathom. The spacewalk.... I guess it's one of those "She can't do that!!!" issues - but obviously she CAN, because she did, during a full blown cannon film. It's not like we've seen any of the other Force users have to deal with being blown into space before, so I'm not sure why it's bugging me as much as it is.
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

Kanan Jarrus did once.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

oh, also, the cinematography depicting what has now come to be known as the Holdo Maneuver, when she hit Snoke's ship with the cruiser at Hyperspace was incredible.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

It was ridiculously awesome, I must agree. Loved that.
anarky

Post by anarky »

If Laura Dern had to die, at least she did it with style.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

anarky wrote:If Laura Dern had to die, at least she did it with style.
Tactically speaking, I was annoyed she waited so long.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Kinda. It's like it dawned on her or something, not like she had it planned but was saving it for the right time. At least in my mind.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I was with Mabs in real life (no kidding) and he said something like "OH MAN, THIS IS BLOWING MY FUCKING MIND!!!!" during the quiet part. :lol:
anarky

Post by anarky »

I think Star Wars fandom has hit a new low. A bunch of fucking basement dwellers cannot shut the fuck up. It's fine to like the movie; it's fine to dislike the movie. It's fine to debate it.

It's not fine to devote every fucking moment of your life to not shut the fuck up about how a fucking movie destroyed the world.

This makes Star Wars fans look more pathetic than everyone already thinks of us as being.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Yeah it's pretty sad. I'm choosing to ignore all of that. I am only discussing it here & at the Canadian collector site.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Reading all this vitriol on the internet, I chuckle and try to imagine these people’s reactions to ESB had there been internet in 1980.

“Ohmigawd, he’s his FATHER?!? That’s such fucking BULLSHIT!! RRRRRAAAAAGGGGGEEEEE!!!!!11”
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Exactly right. There is one excellent mockup of a ragetard's ESB rant had there been such a thing back then. Will try to find & share here.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

My girlfriend pointed out if Poe and Finn hadn’t hatched their plan and left the ship, the escaping fleet would’ve made it to the planet pretty much intact and the Rebellion wouldn’t be down to like 12 people.

I blame Vice Admiral Dr Ellie Sattler for not being more forthcoming with the plan.