How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

Post by jjreason »

They didn't really help this go around. Poe's grandstanding cost them their bombers, but got rid of a Dreadmaught. I'll call that a push - but he did it against orders so not good. He then commits treason & mutiny later in the movie, creating havoc because Holdo wouldn't reveal her plan.

Finn I'll give a pass. He's completely out of it when he first wakes up & barely has time to recover before we're off to the races. The side quest is a bit too much to handle. I'm not sure how they fix that whole thing though, honestly. Have DJ be a prisoner in the brig, caught by Rose for trying to desert the ship earlier and he overhears them? I'm not sure.

One thing I AM sure of is that Canto Bight looked like a dog's ass compared to Maz's place - and I blame that on the overuse of CGI that wasn't as spotless as we should expect from SW. They needed a way to get to a creature scene, hence the side quest. I think this likely would have been better done by having them secretly communicate with Maz who's on the planet looking around for the codebreaker or something.
"Something inside me....."
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I take back every complaint I had about The Clone Wars. The movie was a bit of a mess, being essentially three unfinished episodes rushed to the screen, but this is a fricking amazing show.

Best, despite what everything online says to the contrary, I see no reason the entire series can't fit between Episodes 21 and 22 of the original micro-series. A few minor continuity blips (like Grievous not coughing in the micro-series), but easily forgiven.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I still haven't seen The Last Jedi.

Saw the Trailer for Solo. I don't know what to think yet. Do they have to invent a new form of TIE fighter for every incarnation of Star Wars?
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Yes. And I don't know what to think either - I feel like they're really pushing the saturation point here. Marvel can survive the multiple movies per year thing because.... well it's their thing. I don't think Star Wars is the same.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

As long as they keep it to one movie per year I think the Star Wars brand will be OK, especially if they keep it interesting. The Marvel-ization of 3 movies per year would definitely kill the franchise. And with Dickhead Riann Johnson and the Game of Thrones guys both developing multiple non-episode films, I'm afraid that's where its heading.

I liked what I saw from Solo, even though the style looked like Rogue One.
The guy bears a decent resemblance to Harrison Ford. I just hope he can BE Han without doing an impression.
Donald Glover as Lando is going to be great. I already want a Lando movie starring Glover.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I never thought I'd say this. Never.

But here it is:

Ahsoka Tano is one of the absolute greatest characters in the long history of Star Wars.

At first, you want to slap her off the screen, but, damn, she makes up for that fast.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

anarky wrote:I never thought I'd say this. Never.

But here it is:

Ahsoka Tano is one of the absolute greatest characters in the long history of Star Wars.

At first, you want to slap her off the screen, but, damn, she makes up for that fast.
Ha. I rrrrrreeallly want to dredge up the last decade worth of rants you’ve posted about her.

But for now ‘Ha.’ is enough.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:I never thought I'd say this. Never.

But here it is:

I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

She is fucking irritating as hell at first. But I now think that was intentional, to show growth in the character.

I'll admit I was wrong. And I'm going to read her novel and find out what she was up to before joining the early Rebellion.
anarky

Post by anarky »

DB, try to watch the series. In order, because it aired as a convoluted mess. Even if Ahsoka doesn't grow on you, the Clonetroopers' stories are phenomenal.

And also a lot of things that should've been explained in ROTS get explanations here. The arc I watched tonight fully explains why Order 66 happened as it did.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I watched the last episodes of Rebels, but didn't realize I missed two until I watched the final episode. They are on my DVR, so I'll have to go back and watch it again. It didn't really end the way I expected it.
anarky

Post by anarky »

There is a fucking lobster guy in Solo named...

...Wait for it...

THERM SCISSORPUNCH!!!

Fuck, this guy just fucking won the Star Wars.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Last Jedi came out on DVD/BluRay and I didn’t immediately buy it.

So while I’m not “over” Star Wars, I’m in that over it/ambivalent hallway somewhere.

I’m sure it’ll get purchased somewhere down the road.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I tried a home viewing & it didn't go very well. Lasted 34 min exactly & that was enough. I don't dislike it by any stretch, I think I've just seen it enough.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Therm Scissorpunch sounds like something we could have made up. I still haven't bought Force Awakens nor have I seen The Last Jedi.

Over the weekend, I did see parts of the 3 OT movies and TPM on TV. By 2018 standards, C-3PO is kind of a racist when he gives his opinion on various non-human species.