How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

Post by anarky »

JJ, watch Clone Wars, then Rebels. (And keep in mind I was one of the biggest naysayers of both.)

Short answer: his brother Savage (yes, that's a shitty name) learned he lived and tracked him down, and the Nightsisters restored his shattered mind. He and Savage started their own criminal organization by swallowing up other groups, and initially wanted to get back into Palpatine's graces. This backfired, and Palpatine killed Savage, and more or less enslaved Maul. CW ends, but a comic series apparently tells how he leads the Separatists at a battle of Mandalore, being left for dead and vanishing.

He apparently started his criminal organization again, keeping his identity under wraps.

Later he resurfaces in Rebels, obsessed with vengeance against all Jedi and Sith, particularly Obi-Wan.

I still say the initial idea to resurrect him was shit, but it led to great things.

Putting him in a film where most people won't know the current canon says he survived is a ballsy, possibly stupid, idea, though.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I guess I live by the tenet "anyone can come back & they will". It wasn't surprising to me, but I guess it was ballsy for the reason you state. It feels like they want people to google Darth Maul alive???? and have them want to seek out the EU material that tells that story. I'm ok with that.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'm starting to wonder off this is a thread not for future Solo movies, but for future Star Wars Stories.

With the unofficial announcement of James Mangold's Boba Fett movie and the seemingly all-but-confirmed Obi-Wan Kenobi movie and the possible few years before we see Episode X, maybe this is Lucasfilm's way to keep the individual movies connected, ala Marvel.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I'm definitely thinking it's setup for Boba Fett (and maybe beyond).

Maul has beyond stranded on Malachor for "years" when he pops up in Rebels. His criminal empire appears to be gone.

My thoughts: Jabba or Black Sun hire Boba Fett to take out the leadership of Crimson Dawn. Fett winds up killing Q'i'r'a, creating animosity between himself and Han Solo, who never knows Fett did the galaxy a favor. (Fett might hate him already because his mentor killed his mentor--meaning Lando's line in Solo about Beckett killing Aurra Sing isn't the throwaway line it appears to be.) Fett gets some vengeance against Maul for what he did to Mandalore. And, most importantly, how best to quiet decades of "he looks cool but does nothing" than to have him best the other guy who looks cool and doesn't do much, but at least takes down a Jedi?

I don't think it can directly tie in with Obi-Wan. At the very least, Maul has no idea that Obi-Wan lives, and definitely not that he's on Tatooine. Not impossible, but tricky.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I would agree - they are definitely looking to continue this story - Obi Wan taking place on Tatooine makes that a shoe-in for some continuation and I'm sure that the Boba Fett movie will pick up where that leaves off.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

First off, that was spoiled for me because of a “completely random” article about Darth Maul showing up on CBR that just happens to coincide with Solo’s opening weekend? People aren’t that stupid. Or at least I’m not. Fuck sakes, can you not keep it in your pants for at least a week CBR??

At some point, I’m hoping this series of films (Solo,Fett, Kenobi, etc) has Vader find out Maul is around and we get an epic fucking showdown we all deserve.

I’ll post more thoughts on the movie itself later.
“Not if you round down, buddy!”
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Tom Foolery wrote:At some point, I’m hoping this series of films (Solo,Fett, Kenobi, etc) has Vader find out Maul is around and we get an epic fucking showdown we all deserve.
Tags off now? Good.

I really want Maul to not appear in Kenobi. Their showdown in Rebels is too perfect, and implies it's been a very long time since they last met.

Your idea, though, is freaking brilliant. Perhaps Vader beats the shit out of him and leaves him stranded on Malachor?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Vader could be the thread thru this ‘trilogy’ of films. Or Quadrilogy if we add a Lando film in.
In Fett, we could get a reason for the pointed ‘No disintegrations’ line from Empire. Fett takes a job from Vader for some reason and it doesn’t go down the way it supposed to.
And if there’s a Kenobi film, I would like there to be a more ominous explanation for the ‘You should not have come back.’ Like there’s a proper Vader/Obi-Wan fight, however briefly, and Vader let’s Obi-Wan scurry off back into hiding with the understanding he’ll stay gone. A rare act of humanity Anakin has for his former master.

And then Vader turns around and gives Maul the rich ass beat down he deserves, settling that debate once and for all.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Like the fuckin' debate between a hammer & a nail. #kickhisassseabass
Ran

Post by Ran »

Just read this article on why Solo is failing. Naturally, I had to read the comments. Someone in the comments section said the author was wrong and claimed that the low attendance was due to a fan boycott due stemming from TLJ. That just seems hard to believe.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/sol ... 23901.html
anarky

Post by anarky »

There are a lot of misogynistic assholes who truly believe that's the case.

Me, I think Star Wars has sucked ever since they shoehorned in "diverse" characters, like that badass princess and the Colt 45 guy.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

There has been a definite backlash since The Last Jedi fucked things up.
I've seen a lot of people that just don't care about SW since that turd came out.

I really think the biggest problem is Solo got lost in the wake of back-to-back Marvel films. Infinity War was out a month before and is still making money. Deadpool 2 came out just one week before solo and absolutely crushed at the box office. Disney/Lucasfilm severely underestimated Deadpool and it hurt them.
Solo should have waited until September or even October when the field is clear of BIG movies.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

TLJ is a good film, IMHO, but, as an installment in a huge series, it really goes astray. I think Johnson wanted to absolutely undo JJ's obvious plans, and it shows that Disney is doing a great job of maintaining continuity, but has no vision. Someone should've said, "No, dude. You can't kill Luke, undo Rey's parentage, and off Snoke with no backstory. One, maybe. Two, slight chance. All three, hell to the no no no."
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:Someone should've said, "No, dude. You can't kill Luke, undo Rey's parentage, and off Snoke with no backstory. One, maybe. Two, slight chance. All three, hell to the no no no."
what was "undone" about Rey's parentage? there was nothing originally done to begin with. i like JJ Abrams as a filmmaker but he doens't have a lot of grand vision. he's good at setting up questions, but i get the sense that he doesn't actually have the answers to them. i suppose we'll see in the next episode, since he's back behind the wheel, but i contend there was nothing to undo - there was no "master plan" for Rey's origin that was thrown out the window. anything that was undone was in our collective imaginations. i hope they continue to run with the idea that she came from nothing. it means that a hero can come from anywhere.

i just find it funny that there are so many vocal people out there who basically hate everything that has been done in the SW realm since the first three movies. not that those people are all in the same circle, but i'd imagine the venn diagram might be pretty tight. i think Disney's forays are suffering the same kind of backlash as the prequels, honestly. it has nothing to do with fatigue or the creative teams not 'getting' the characters, or that Kathleen Kennedy is now in charge (because, from what i've read, she was a driving force behind a LOT of G.Lu's and Spielberg's work throughout our childhoods). i just don't understand all the hate. i watch these movies to be entertained, not to pick them apart at the seams. maybe that makes me a bad fan, or a casual fan, or whatever. i'm just in it for more stories set in that galaxy. personally, when they throw curveballs i like it, because it means they're not beholden to what came before. looking at the "TFA was too similar to the originals" and "TLJ was too different from the originals" comments, it's like they can't ever win.

i do wonder what the reactions to TLJ means for the side trilogy that will be helmed by Rian Johnson. has there been any word that they've been put on hold? i also wonder if those reactions aren't a very small, very vocal minority.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran

Post by Ran »

It was implied in TFA that Rey had some Jedi training. TLJ said, "Nope, Rey's parents were losers who abandoned her on Jakku." We'll see if they can salvage her story in the last film.

I didn't have any problems with Rogue One, other than CGI Tarkin and Leia being kind of creepy.

There was some cool stuff in the prequels, I guess I just didn't like Anakin. Ignoring the parallels to ANH, TFA had some cool things in it, too. TLJ was just a mess. It actually made me appreciate the prequels a little more.