Cheap DVD buys

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Cheap DVD buys

Post by Tom Foolery »

From the WM $5 bin; Russell Crowe's 2010 Robin Hood and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Holy crap, MI:GP was $5 already?
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Picked up Sin City outta the $5 bin because I figured the new one's out in a few months and I hadn't seen in it a long time. Goddamn, Carla Gugino wins for best tits and farter.

And I got Haywire to see if it was any good. It wasn't. What the hell, Soderbergh? Did you forget how to direct? Gina Carano's cute, but she ain't exactly Olivier. And everybody else is just wasted in the slowest action film ever. Somebody suggested that if you watch it as a satire of the Bourne films, it's a pretty good unintentional comedy.

I passed on Green Hornet and Prince of Persia. They also had all the Pirates films for cheap, except the last one. Really, Disney? THATS the one you're holding back?
And they had Amazing Spidey in a 2-pack with the first Ghost Rider. What the hell? I might've paid $11 for ASM and the new GR just to watch/have it. Or perhaps even ASM by itself. But I already have GR so I passed.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I picked up No Country For Old Men on Blu-Ray for $5 a week or two ago.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Picked up a movie at Big Lots for $5 on blu-ray the other day: Legend of the Black Scorpion. Haven't watched it yet, but it's a fairly recent Chinese movie based on Hamlet, starring Ziyi Zhang, with choreography by the same guy who did the fights in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I checked reviews before getting it, because it seemed too good to be true, but they all look positive. I'll let you folks know if it's worthwhile, but I imagine it should be.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Walmart had a new $5 bin with Blu Rays. Didn't see much, but they had the Adam West Batman movie.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Found one of those DoubleFeature DVDs that had The Losers and RockNRolla for $5.
The Losers is a guilty pleasure film. It's not great, but it's pretty good and rewatchable. There're some great "action" one liners in it, a likable cast(especially Chris Evan's Jensen) and Jason Patric's over the top villain.
I'd never seen Rocknrolla, but I like Guy Ritchie's other crime films (Lock Stock and Snatch) as well as his Sherlock films. This one was pretty good with a solid cast of up and comers(at the time). They teased a sequel at the end that probably won't ever happen.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Target has the Back to the Future Trilogy on Blu-Ray for only $14.99 and The Indiana Jones set (also on Blu-Ray) for $34.99.

I picked up BTTF. May pick up Indy before the week is out.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Out of the $5 bin; Sherlock Holmes:Game of Shadows, the Red Dawn remake, and Hitman.

Sherlock is good, but I like the first one better.
Red Dawn was awful. But it got me thinking the premise might make a good cable TV series ala Walking Dead.
Hitman was not bad. I'd never played any of the video games it's based on. Tim Olyphant was badass as 47. Olga Kurylenko is smokin' hot and gets plenty naked several times during the movie.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Picked up the complete The Tick (live action) for $5 at Walmart.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Upgraded a few DVDs to Blu-Ray the other day.

Inglourious Basterds $7.99
Not usre if my DVD had all the special features. Now I have the two Tarantino flicks I can watch more than once on Blu-Ray. Pulp Fiction being the other.

Clerks $7.99
Seems odd buying a movie as shitty looking as Clerks on Blu-Ray, but it has all the Clerks X features on one disc rather than 3 DVDs. It was also labeled as the "15th Anniversary Edition" but has nothing new on it.

Garden State $6.99
Emo as fuck and no new features, but I still love this movie.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Walmart had both seasons of Rome and all three seasons of Deadwood for $9.99 each.
They also had the new Ghostbusters Blu-Ray double pack for only $15.97 and the director's cut of Zodiac for $7.88.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Diabolical wrote:Walmart had both seasons of Rome and all three seasons of Deadwood for $9.99 each.
:shock: I need that Walmart here. The cheapest I've ever seen is $50 for the full bluray series of Deadwood, not sure about Rome.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

These were on DVD.

Best Buy has the Deadwood box set for $75 or the individual seasons for $15 each. They also have the Rome set for $38.

$50 vs $113.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Couple movies out of the WM$5 bin.

Battleship. Yup. Had to see how shitty it was. Which it was. But the scene where the old guys are on the USS Missouri and they do the montage of getting Her ready to fight was cool because those were the actual retired Navy combat veterans. Peter Berg is a class act for that at least.

The Last Stand. Ahnuld's first movie back from being Governator. Another guilty pleasure movie. I'm gonna try to work "Obliged." into more conversations.