Cheap DVD buys

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Cheap DVD buys

Post by Diabolical »

Picked up a handful of cheap ones at Best Buy.
Firefly on Blu-Ray $12.99
Prometheus on Blu-Ray $12.99
Jaws on Blu-Ray $9.99
Dinner for Schmucks and Fletch on DVD $1.99 each.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Just ordered Walking Dead Season 1 at Amazon (DVD) for eight bucks. Now I can finally watch the damned thing.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

'Kay, guys, cutting out the bullshit, is Firefly: The Complete Series worth $7.99 if you haven't seen it? This isn't some sort of massive prank to get me to spend money on a shitty show, is it?

(Based entirely on Avengers and Toy Story, I'm guessing not. Whedon can be socially awkward as much as he wants at Comic-Con; I've changed my mind and decided he's pretty damned awesome.)

And Serenity takes place after Firefly, but isn't included in the regular series DVD, correct?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Well, fuck all y'all hoes for not answering. I'm going to be fucking pissed if I pop the DVD in and it's a screen of Joss Whedon and Diabolical jerking off Rollo, all three laughing and saying, "Hey, 'Nark, you just wasted eight bucks on this shit, so now, stay tuned for the worst fucking show ever made!!!!"

:lol:

Should have it the first week in December (I opted for the slow delivery to get a buck off a future purchase... so sue me).
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Firefly is awesome at 10x $7.99. You made a great purchase.

After you marathon through every episode in one sitting(and you will) you should go back and watch the episodes in the order Fox broadcast them just to see what incompetent assholes are capable of. For funsies.

Serenity you'll have to dig out of the $5 bin at WM. But after you watch Firefly, $5 for Serenity will seem like a mistake because you will think it should be a bargain at $50.

PS. I'm jealous you get to experience it for the first time.
PPS. I'm gonna watch it again this weekend. It's been a year since I last watched it.
PPPS. Pshyeah. We're all hoes because we didn't check our Internet forums in the middle of Thanksgiving. :roll: blow it out yer hole. :lol:
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

Pshaw. My wife's family is addicted to screens. iPads, TV's, computers, phones, doesn't matter. And they conversation is only important with people who are reading those silly old-fashioned "books," which means you're doing nothing important and deserve to be interrupted. I did get through two paperbacks, but, hell, what else am I supposed to do but check various insane asylums online periodically?

Not sure about the "one sitting" thing, though, with two small kids.

And I'm planning to free my wife's Game of Thrones from its shrinkwrapped prison and read that motherfucker soon.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I've now purchased Firefly twice (DVD and Blu-Ray) and Serenity three times (DVD, SE DVD. and Blu-Ray)...so FUCK YES its worth it.

One warning: you will be sad when you finish the series and movie only because there is no more after that (only a couple of in continuity comics).

I rewatched Firelyrecently and fell in love with it all over again.

Serenity is not included in the Firefly set.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I agree with Diabolical, even if he paid money for Dinner For Schmucks.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Not sure about the "one sitting" thing, though, with two small kids.
Pfft. She'll be singing the theme song by the end of disc two.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

I cancelled my order for Walking Dead, because the Target still had several copies. The same price, but 5% off. So I figured, if I'm there already, may as well save forty cents. :D
anarky

Post by anarky »

Walking Dead Season 2 is $16.99 at Costco, if there's one near you.

I'd picked it up at Target on Black Friday weekend (I figured if I like the first season, I'll want it; if not, I can return it) for $20, which seemed like a steal. I'll be taking that copy back this week. Yes, I'm that cheap. (But the difference is about 60% the price of Serenity.)
anarky

Post by anarky »

I found Spartacus: Blood & Sand on blu-ray for $11.65 on clearance at Target. It was marked "As Is," but undamaged, and there were multiple copies, so it was probably either an online return or that location wants to get rid of them. I figure Amazon Prime doesn't have that series, and that's cheaper than a month of Starz (when the show may or may not air).

Also, Big Lots had a collection of all four TMNT movies for $3. Seriously. $0.75 per movie. Three bucks would be a steal for either the first or the fourth movie, but, holy shit, I started to get it until I remembered everyone I know who'd appreciate it already has them.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Another bizarre "As Is" item at Target. I found two copies of the Tintin cartoon, Vol. 1 for $3.86. I have never seen this toon, and didn't know it existed until around the time the movie came out and they released these to capitalize on it, but, fuck yeah, a copy went home with me.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Not a "buy," but Dollar Tree had an assortment of blu-rays (for a buck, of course) mixed in with a sea of Dog Whisperer DVD's. Most of them were crap. I recall seeing V.I. Warshowski.

But there was one copy of Ernest Goes to Camp in the bunch. I had it in my hand, very seriously considering buying it. But I have the DVD, and this has no additional features (or, well, any), and I kind of had doubts that the blu-ray would be anything but a straight translation (port? what's the term here?) of the DVD.

But if you don't have it, it's the one Ernest movie that's definitely worth owning. Especially for a dollar.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

You passed on V. I. Warshowski?!?! Whaaat?!!

Heh. I'm kidding. That movie is terrible. Kathleen Turner in a bubble bath is almost enough to turn a straight man gay. Bleuurgh. *shudders AND throws up in mouth a little*