Cheap DVD buys

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Cheap DVD buys

Post by Diabolical »

Forgot a couple I found recently.

Short Term 12 - DVD. Brie Larson in an indie drama about a juvenile residential facility. She got a bit of awards buzz at the time (this was before Room). Besides being a good flick, I liked it because I know people who have worked in places like this and it was apparently pretty accurate in a lot of spots.

Buckaroo Banzai and UHF - Both on Blu-Ray for $15 and $12. They were in the clearance/online return section at Target, the same spot I found Passengers for under $7.
I don't think I've seen UHF since it first arrived on VHS. And I've never seen Buckaroo Banzai, but since it's a cult classic, I figured why not.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Buckaroo Banzai was one of those movies my elementary school would put on at the end of the term. Condorman was another one they used to show. I know I liked both movies, but it has been decades since I've seen either. The last time I thought of Condorman was a few years ago because there was a power disc for Disney Infinity that gave you the wings.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I'm sorry, DB. I think UHF is one of the funniest movies of ever. Since you're the Antinark, you just wasted $12 on a flick you'll hate.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

They talked about UHF in one of those Weird Al "Behind the Music" shows. It has a huge cult following, but it bombed in theaters. It came out in 1989. So did Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Batman, Lethal Weapon 2, Uncle Buck, The Abyss, When Harry Met Sally, Weekend at Bernie's, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Ghostbusters 2, Star Trek V, and Licensed to Kill. There were more, I just got tired of typing.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I remember that. They made it sound like the failure of the movie led Al to become depressed and possibly suicidal.

He kinda tore that to pieces on his website and said that his life wasn't dramatic enough so they had to come up with something.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Was in VideoGamesEtc (sort of local GameStop type store) today while my GF was next door at a fabric/hobby store.
Saw a used BluRay set of the first 9 Superman and Batman movies that probably came out around the time of BvsS(I’m assuming). It was only $30 and they were having a 10% off sale so I got it for $28. That’s basically $3 per movie. I mean, the likelihood of me ever watching Superman III or IV ever is pretty low. And I’d only rewatch Batman & Robin to make fun of it. But still a decent deal for a comic nerd like myself.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Found Robin Hood:Men in Tights in the $7 Blu-ray bin last night. Hadn’t seen it in forever.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Bought the Equalizer with Denzel out of the $7 Blu-ray bin and also Smokey and the Bandit.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Creed DVD for $3.74 and Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray for $5. Thanks WM.
Also got Lego Batman Movie, but it came with 3 mini figs(Batman, Gandalf, and Wyldstyle) and their Lego Dimensions discs. If only I had Lego Dimensions.

Ran

Post by Ran »

Tom Foolery wrote:Creed DVD for $3.74 and Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray for $5. Thanks WM.
Also got Lego Batman Movie, but it came with 3 mini figs(Batman, Gandalf, and Wyldstyle) and their Lego Dimensions discs. If only I had Lego Dimensions.
I was thinking about trying to track down a copy of Lego Dimensions.
anarky

Post by anarky »

The 99-cent stores around here were getting a lot of the sets. I don't care about the game, a BA Barracus or ET Lego set is a must-have.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I hate going to 99-Cent stores. They are so crowded. But, I might have to go look. I already have BA Barracus.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Dollar Tree had a shitload of DVDs and Blu-Rays.

DVD:
Both Adam West Batman cartoons.
A Miracle on Ice documentary.
A DC Superhero Girls double feature for the kid when she's old enough.

Blu-Ray:
Her - a movie I thought was just ok, but I'll give it a second chance for $1.
Inherent Vice - Looked weird and entertaining when it came out.
Focus - the Margot Robbie/Will Smith flick.
Maps to the Stars - A Cronenberg flick with Julianne Moore, John Cusack, Robert Pattinson, and Mia Wasikowska. The box said "graphic nudity," so I'm in.

Also 2 pre-Black Friday Blu-Ray pick ups for $3.99 each: Red Sparrow (Totally NOT. A Black Widow movie, but does have a very nekkid Jennifer Lawrence) and The Greatest Showman for the woman.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The ‘graphic nudity’ isn’t the good kind. Unless you’re Jargo. It’s dick’n’balls.

Red Sparrow was kinda dull. I got that and Atomic Blonde a few months ago in the $3 bin.

anarky

Post by anarky »

I seem to recall some Julianne Moore getting nekkid frisky in that film. But, yeah, there were balls.