JJ Abrams new Star Trek movie...

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Am I the only person alive...

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:I thought Voyager had potential, sending an entire crew to an uncharted region of the galaxy with new aliens, new worlds, and no clue how to get home. I think that idea lasted five episodes before they were back on Earth fighting the Borg and Trek was taking itself too seriously again.
voyager is probably the only one i watched with any regularity. next generation takes a close second.

they never made it back to earth in voyager until the end of the series, though - don't know what you're talking about there. they did fight the borg, but they came from the delta quadrant. my only gripe was the amount of human borg if the delta quadrant was relatively unexplored, though, with the borg, that can be explained away by time-travel, i guess. it's always tachyons.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I must've been mistaken. I just saw a preview for an episode with the Borg, and figured, "Eh, I guess it's over."
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

anarky wrote:What sucks is that they re-released the classic series on DVD with redone special effects. About 75% of the appeal of Trek, for me, at least, and for other non-Trekkers I've spoken to, is the insanely bad special effects. I don't want to see a snazzy CG Enterprise; I want the fucking model on a wire. But that's not an option unless I want to pay a shitload for the earlier, out-of-print DVDs.
How do the hard(er)core fans feel about this? There's the shitstorm among SW fans about some of the changes in the SEs, but I guess most people really don't mind the updates. You (and I, for that matter) seem to tend to like some things for their so-bad-they're-good qualities, but was that part of the appeal for Trek fans? I'm just asking since I know next to nothing about it.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Mostly positive from what I've seen. But most Trekkers I know don't appreciate the cheesiness the way non-Trekkers seem to.

I'm pretty big on unaltered versions of any show or movie being kept in circulation. It's one thing to make minor changes between the theatrical release and DVD a few months later, and something totally different to change something that's been part of the pop culture for an entire generation or two. What if whoever owned the rights to Dallas suddenly decided Zac Efron would be a better Bobby Ewing and replaced Patrick Duffy throughout, then took pains to eliminate all previous video releases?

I don't exactly mind the redone episodes, but I'm not paying money for them. However, I did find something rather interesting on YouTube where I can see them for free (didn't know they had full episodes), and you should probably check out a couple if you have free time. The new effects will sort of stand out, but it looks like they were inconsistent in where they updated things, and the acting can't be digitally manipulated.

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=Zk2dX5DnW_c
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

Personally I really dig the original series and thought the rest of the series' sucked

I liked most of the "TOS" films, but oddly I like 5 and 3 (Final Frontier and Search for Spock) a lot more than the stupid whales one- tho they get a LOT of e-hate they are both genuinely fun films with olots of great bits..

I don't particularly love the cheesy effect in TOS (and sorry but my typing sucks so I'm using abbreviations from now on dammit) but I REALLY love the dynamics, and as Anarky points out the lack of "serious-ness". I always got the feeling when seeing TNG etc that the characters were all gunning for their peers to commit some sort of reportable offense so they could turn them in and smugly boast about how they "should have known better" or some such shit

In TOS the characters were obviously real friends- the kind of friends that I myself have- and the "military" they served was much more of a futuristic vision than the seemingly retro, hyper regimented ogranisation in TNG. The crewmembers didn't have any problems telling Kirk he was doing something stupid, and he didn't give them trouble when they did so.

Alright enough about ST. If you can find the episode, look up "Balance of Terror"....

Oh and if you find that episode, I must admit there's a beloved piece of PURE cheese in it- a ship gets hit with a photon torpedo and on the view-screen the enemy captain gets covered in falling dust and chunks of drywall- tho that isn't why I liked the episode :ducks:
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Spoilers for Star Trek but I think I see why I liked it so much...

That, and the green chick was crazy hot.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

You went to see it RB? I thought you hated Star Trek with a passion?
Sweet berry wine!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Slicker wrote:You went to see it RB? I thought you hated Star Trek with a passion?
I wouldn't say I hated it with a passion, but based on what I've seen in the past it was always a bit too cheesy, nerdy and slow for me.
I didn't give two shits about the new flick until I saw the trailer and thought "That look nothing like Star Trek - it actually looks kinda cool!" Then after the first reviews started rolling in with almost unanimous praise I decided to see it, and loved it (because it wasn't the slow, nerdy Trek of yesteryear).
It's been said a few times, but it reminds me a lot of Iron Man - they took a lame subject and made a surprisingly fun movie.
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

Well, fuck. I may have to see it since you like it.
Sweet berry wine!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Diabolical wrote:Spoilers for Star Trek but I think I see why I liked it so much...

I just saw a commercial for the movie that claimed that it is "This Generation's Star Wars".
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Ran wrote:
Diabolical wrote:Spoilers for Star Trek but I think I see why I liked it so much...

I just saw a commercial for the movie that claimed that it is "This Generation's Star Wars".
Just like Stargate, Starship Troopers, Lost In Space, etc. before it.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Don't forget Titan AE! :roll:
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

and 'the fifth element'...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

...and the Prequel Trilogy.
Sweet berry wine!