JJ Abrams new Star Trek movie...

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Shatner
bacon

JJ Abrams new Star Trek movie...

Post by Shatner »

...is gonna... suck.

I ain't... in it.
Last edited by Shatner on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"KHAAAAAAAN!!!!"
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: JJ Abrams new Star Trek movie...

Post by Diabolical »

No, it'll suck because its Star Trek.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Double_G
megatron

Re: JJ Abrams new Star Trek movie...

Post by Double_G »

Diabolical wrote:No, it'll suck because its Star Trek.
:foshizzle:
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Am I the only person alive...

Post by anarky »

...who doesn't give a rat's wet ass about Star Trek?

I'm not against it or hating it. I just don't fucking care.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Am I the only person alive...

Post by Slicker »

I've never given a shit about Star Trek. I've never sat through an episode of it nor have I ever seen one of the movies so there's no reason for me to start now.
Sweet berry wine!
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

Nope, I'm in the same boat, complete sense of apathy. All of the great reviews I've read somehow make it seem like fans of the film are hiding something, to boot :ducks:
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Something about the rabid intensity of Trekkies and their borderline insane focus on continuity makes me think that erasing the entire timeline (except Enterprise and this new movie) and knowing Uhura was fucking Spock can't sit as well with them as they let on.

I think they just conspired to love this movie regardless, sort of a, "Ha ha, Star Wars fans, all of us love our prequel!"
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I've seen it and I loved it.

I seen a few episodes of Trek over the years but and never really did anything for me (way too nerdy with boring action), but the movie is everything Star Trek isn't - good action, good effects, good story, a great cast and it's a lot of fun.
I've said this to a few people (and since yesterday I've seen a few reviewers say it also) but it reminds me a lot of Iron Man last year. Before the movie hype machine kicked in, both properties weren't considered cool by any means, but both flicks were just well crafted, really fun movies. Now besides the movies I still wouldn't call myself a fan of either, but I'll gladly put the DVDs on my shelf.

As for pissing off the old fans: I really don't think it will upset too many. There is a good explanation of why in the movie. SMALL SPOILER: By accidentally going back in time, the villain has caused a massive change in history, which (as they even say in the movie) has created a parallel/alternate universe. So this isn't a total reboot, but as I see it more like Trek's version of Marvel's Ultimate Universe.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Mr Spick
bacon

Post by Mr Spick »

Ah, hey, holmes, I've been tappin' dat black ass in the backseat of my pimped-up ride, ese! Dat gringo Kirk, he not know what he missing, eh?
Es muy ilogico, ese!
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

star trek is for gaymos
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i'm a casual fan of star trek. i'm not sure if i'm the only one, but i'm definitely a minority, as it seems you're either a FAN or you're not.

i like some of the movies, was into next generation and voyager, but wasn't really grabbed by DS9 or enterprise, and i've seen a handful of original series eps. my favorite ST movie is 'first contact' - it actually has a BATTLE between SPACE SHIPS! holy crap!

anyway, i'm highly interested in the new ST reboot movie, but won't be seeing it until long after the work on my house is done.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I'm a casual fan, too. Seriously. It does seem those who aren't adamant one way or the other are a huge minority. (I just realized that I only referred to "Star Trek" in my first post, referring to the movie, not the franchise altogether.)

I enjoyed the original series, mainly for the incredible cheesiness. Remastering and improving the special effects seems like blasphemy to me, since it was the goofiness that was much of its appeal. I liked Next Generation, which had better effects and storytelling, but was, at first, an attempt to do something new within the same universe. Later on, it and its spinoffs took themselves way too seriously.

I thought Voyager had potential, sending an entire crew to an uncharted region of the galaxy with new aliens, new worlds, and no clue how to get home. I think that idea lasted five episodes before they were back on Earth fighting the Borg and Trek was taking itself too seriously again.

Never cared for DS9. Couldn't get through an entire episode. Didn't watch Enterprise, but enjoyed the few episodes I saw, though I thought the time traveling bad guys were sort of a stupid way to tie it to the NG era.

I've seen Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, The Final Frontier, The Undiscovered Country, First Contact, and whatever that stupid-ass second NG movie was with the condom-headed aliens. First Contact was the best of these by a long shot.

Now, it's a relaunch of a series I know will take itself too damned seriously again in a few years. It always does. I'm just indifferent. I don't hate Abrams, but I don't much care for him, either. I do know that Orci and Kurzman wrote two of the most fucking godawful screenplays ever filmed, and they claimed to be as big fans of Trek as they are supposedly of Transformers. I probably would've preferred a TV show, truth be told. I could watch bits and pieces of it without dropping money.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I never really cared much for any the Star Trek movies. The origional series used to be on after school when I was a kid. That was probably the last time I watched any of them. I saw a bunch of the Next Generation and it seemed repetitive. Q was kind of funny and I liked Picard. The only reason I watched the end of the DS9 series is because it was on after The Simpsons and I was too lazy to change the channel and they kept hyping what looked like was going to be a huge space battle finale. That was disapointing. Saw a little bit of the Captain Janeway series but never got into it. I never saw the series after that. No interest in the new movie. The commercials looked pretty dumb.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

The only Trek thing I've ever seen was some shitty movie they did in the late 90s that I only saw because of a friend. It involved some weird guy getting facelifts the whole time or something. It sucked ass, but I don't remember much of it now.

But, I don't really have an interest in getting more into it, or seeing anything more from it. Eh.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
anarky

Post by anarky »

That was the one I referred to as "the condomhead movie." It was really, really shitty. Most of the rest is better.

What sucks is that they re-released the classic series on DVD with redone special effects. About 75% of the appeal of Trek, for me, at least, and for other non-Trekkers I've spoken to, is the insanely bad special effects. I don't want to see a snazzy CG Enterprise; I want the fucking model on a wire. But that's not an option unless I want to pay a shitload for the earlier, out-of-print DVDs.

Even bearing that in mind, the original series is a lot of fun if you can catch it. A good portion of what makes the original and the first half of Next Generation good is that they're not especially heavy on continuity, so you don't have to watch everything ever made. The people making the later stuff forgot that, and it's why Trek pretty much died for a while.