Speed Racer: The Movie

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Speed Racer: The Movie

Post by vynsane »

watched it the other night. it was even more fun than i remembered. this one will go down in the annals of history as an infinitely rewatchable flick like fifth element and galaxy quest. for some reason i can watch those movies over and over and over again without getting tired of them...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

vynsane wrote:this one will go down in the annals of history as an infinitely rewatchable flick like fifth element and galaxy quest.
Once was more than enough for the Fifth Element (mainly because of Chris Tucker - I still can't watch anything that bitch is in) and once was good for Galaxy Quest (unless they release the original R rated version).
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Speed Racer meets Election '08

Post by anarky »

Mrs A caught a line spoken by Snake Oiler that she immediately said sounded like McCain:

"This was supposed to be my race! I've played by the rules for EIGHT YEARS!"

Creepy, eh?

A movie about a nobody who comes out of nowhere and beats a corporately-controlled system to change the world?

I immediately said that Royalton was Cheney, Cruncher Block was Rove, and, if Snake is already McCain, this must make Bush (the stooge of Rove and Cheney) be portrayed by Cannonball (the stooge of Royalton and Cruncher).

She went a bit farther and said Trixie was Michelle and Racer-X was Biden. I guess I can see that.

Not sure who Palin would be. Denise Mobile or one of the other female racers you barely see? That doesn't quite seem to fit. She requires more thought.

I had to add that Prince Kabala is John Edwards, who came really close to winning the whole deal until royally screwing himself in the end.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Speed Racer meets Election '08

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

I'm sure, since Biden was picked well after this movie had already tanked at theaters. :lol:

By the way, the last time I had a sandwich, I really noticed that the cheese was on top of the meat, just like how Obama is on top of McCain in the polls. I had to pause for a minute and think of the psychological ramifications. :wink:
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Double_G
megatron

Post by Double_G »

anarky wrote:this must make Bush (the stooge of Rove and Cheney) be portrayed by Cannonball (the stooge of Royalton and Cruncher)
I dunno. Dubya gives off more of a Chim-Chim vibe.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
anarky

Post by anarky »

JJL, it was entirely a silly comparison based on the "for eight years" line, which really does sound like what I imagine McCain to be saying offscreen. :)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

anarky wrote:JJL, it was entirely a silly comparison based on the "for eight years" line, which really does sound like what I imagine McCain to be saying offscreen. :)
I know, I was just busting your balls. :lol:
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Dub_G, Chim-Chim is totally Dennis Kucinich.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Senor JabbaJohnL wrote:
anarky wrote:JJL, it was entirely a silly comparison based on the "for eight years" line, which really does sound like what I imagine McCain to be saying offscreen. :)
I know, I was just busting your balls. :lol:

I laughed at the ball busting. "I had a sandwich..." Too fucking funny dude.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Attention SSpeed Racer nerds: Wickedcoolstuff has a Mach 5 t-shirt for $10.

anarky

Post by anarky »

I was reading something somewhere. I'd be happy to link to it, but I don't remember where it was or how I got to it. It was mostly complaining about the whitewashing of Avatar: The Last Airbender. (In case you didn't know, the movie not only can't have the word "Avatar" anywhere in the title, but all the Asian, Indian, and Inuit parts have been cast as white... despite it being directed by an Indian-American.)

So it went on to mention other movies that were whitewashed. Prince of Persia was the next, which I can see: last I checked, Jake Gyllenhall isn't Persian.

And third... Speed Racer? Did I miss something? Or did they not realize that, despite being a Japanese cartoon, the characters were supposed to be white Americans? Hell, with Prince Kabala now being black and new characters like Taejo, I think the movie was more diverse than the cartoon.

Really, did the people making such a claim think that, since the cartoon was Japanese, all the characters were Japanese, and therefore casting Emile Hirsch was racist? And does this totally undermine any other argument they have about any other film?
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

Well it sure puts the authority in question, no doubt

A shit-ton of anime features mostly white americans who are indeed supposed to be actual US citizens. In much of Gundam most of the characters are like that, I think it was G Gundam wherein the main character was actually japanese for the first time and that was the 4th (??) actual series

The entire Speed Racer universe was just a romanticized version of 50's/60's US culture and wasn't supposed to have anything to do with Japan- essentially, in Japan it was in fact representing all things foreign and american- big, fast cars and the rugged, authentic men who build and drive them.

The whole common "observation" (usually made by fucking idiots) about "all anime characters have those huge eyes" is telling- the round-eye syndrome is such due to the fact that they are NOT SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE JAPANESE PEOPLE and thus sport stylized, exaggerated "super round-eye"
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:I was reading something somewhere. I'd be happy to link to it, but I don't remember where it was or how I got to it. It was mostly complaining about the whitewashing of Avatar: The Last Airbender. (In case you didn't know, the movie not only can't have the word "Avatar" anywhere in the title, but all the Asian, Indian, and Inuit parts have been cast as white... despite it being directed by an Indian-American.)
Here’s the thing. The great thing about anime is that it’s ambiguous. The features of the characters are an intentional mix of all features. It’s intended to be ambiguous. That is completely its point. So when we watch Katara, my oldest daughter is literally a photo double of Katara in the cartoon. So that means that Katara is Indian, correct? No that’s just in our house. And her friends who watch it, they see themselves in it. And that’s what’s so beautiful about anime.
M. Night Shyamalan Responds to Last Airbender Race Issues
anarky

Post by anarky »

There are apparently two Indian actors, both villains. All the heroes are white.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

anarky wrote:There are apparently two Indian actors, both villains. All the heroes are white.

So it's reflective the real world? As it should be. :roll:
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie