The Greatest Adventure of all time...

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: The Greatest Adventure of all time...

Post by jjreason »

I would pass her the torch, I'll tell you that much.
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

Some of these are interesting, others....not so much.

19 Whip-Cracking Facts You Never Knew About Indiana Jones

The Indiana Jones team of producer George Lucas, director Steven Spielberg, and star Harrison Ford have just announced that they’re all back on board for a fifth big-screen adventure featuring the fedora-wearing, bullwhip-wielding archaeologist. The new film, which doesn’t yet have a title beyond Indiana Jones and the [Something of Something], will hit theaters on July 19, 2019.

To herald the arrival of a new globetrotting Indy epic, here are 19 facts, figures, and pulse-pounding inside stories about the most thrilling action franchise the movies has ever sent hurtling toward audiences like an ancient tribe’s giant-boulder-turned-burglar-alarm.

1. In 1981, Harrison Ford was 39 years old when he debuted as Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. When the new film arrives, he’ll be 77.

2. To date, four actors have officially portrayed Indiana Jones. On the big screen, Harrison Ford is the most familiar, while River Phoenix cameos as teenaged Indy in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. For the 1992-93 ABC series, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Sean Patrick Flannery donned the fedora to play Indiana from ages 17 to 21, while George Hall portrayed an elderly version of the character in the show’s wraparound segments.

3. Originally, the character was called Indiana Smith, and he was named after George Lucas’s Alaskan malamute, the same big, lovable dog that inspired Chewbacca and the Wookiees in Star Wars. Steven Spielberg changed the surname simply because he thought “Jones” sounded more distinctive than “Smith.”

4. The filmmakers’ first choice to portray Jones was actor and political activist, Peter Coyote, best known for portraying the kindly government scientist in E.T., the Extra-Terrestrial (1982).

5. After the studio rejected Coyote for not being a box office draw, Tom Selleck won the lead in Raiders. Fortunately for Harrison Ford, CBS refused to give Selleck the necessary time off from shooting his new hit series, Magnum, P.I. Footage exists of Selleck acting out Raiders scenes in full costume and character, and he certainly seems up to the job.

6. Not only are there more than 7,000 live snakes covering the floor of the Well of Souls in Raiders, but eagle-eyed fans can pick out an engraving of Star Wars droids C-3PO and R2-D2 on the wall.
7. Harrison Ford, unlike Indiana Jones, is not actually afraid of snakes. So that was all the magic of acting. Steven Spielberg, however, is terrified of heights, which became a factor he had to deal with throughout each movie-shoot.

8. The action in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) opens at Club Obi-Wan, yet another Star Wars Easter Egg in the Indy series.

9. Temple of Doom was the least successful installment of the initial Indiana Jones trilogy. Some point to co-screenwriter Willard Huyck, who penned the scripts for the three biggest bombs George Lucas ever produced: More American Graffiti (1979), Howard the Duck (1986), and Radioland Murders (1994).

10. Spielberg played an amazing prank on Harrison Ford during the shooting of Temple of Doom. While Ford was tied up, waiting to be whipped by Thugee strongmen, the crew set Barbra Streisand loose on the set. She cracked the whip and jokingly yelled at Ford, “That’s for Hanover Street—the worst movie I ever saw!”

11. The chilled brains served from monkey skulls at a lavish Indian dinner in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom are actually a tasty mixture of custard and raspberry sauce.

12. Although Spielberg never officially confirmed it, many believe Temple of Doom’s monkey brains scene was inspired by a similar scene in the cult shockumentary Faces of Death (1978), which exploded in popularity on VHS in the early ’80s.

13. Those monkey brains, along with a gory open-heart human sacrifice, incensed numerous parents upon Temple of Doom’s PG-rated arrival in theaters. Along with that same summer’s Spielberg-produced Gremlins, the resulting outrage prompted the MPAA to create a new classification for movies whose intensity landed them somewhere between PG and R. So thank Indiana Jones (and the Mogwai) for the PG-13 rating.

14. Steven Spielberg says Temple of Doom is his least favorite Indy movie, although he cherishes the experience for having introduced him to the film’s leading lady—and his wife of the past 30 years—Kate Capshaw.

15. The concept of Indiana Jones arose from Steven Spielberg telling George Lucas how badly he wanted to direct a James Bond film. Lucas suggested that instead of going the straight 007 route, they combine that classic international agent element with the spirit of classic Saturday afternoon movie serials from the 1930s and ’40s. Nonetheless, James Bond remained on Spielberg’s mind throughout each of the first two Indiana Jones movies.

16. After determining that Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade would focus on the hero’s relationship with his father, Spielberg said “only one person can play Indy’s father, and that’s James Bond. The original James Bond, the greatest James Bond, Sean Connery.”

17. Harrison Ford was 47 when Last Crusade opened. Sean Connery was 59—just twelve years older than the man playing his son. When the next movie debuts, Connery will be 89.

18. While filming Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008), Harrison Ford’s wardrobe measurements were the same as they were back on Raiders in 1981. When not surviving airplane crashes, Ford keeps himself in tip-top shape.

19. After an implausible scene where India survives a nuclear bomb blast by hiding inside a lead-lined refrigerator, the phrase “Nuke the fridge” joined “Jump the shark” in the popular vernacular to indicate something had gone on too long.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

jjreason wrote:Indy's character needs to have morphed into something akin to Sean Connery in part III for this one. Let him pass the torch to Daisy Ridley, just like he did in TFA.
i'm positive that was what they intended with Mutt Williams, but that character and the actor playing him was so atrocious, not to mention that KotCS left such a bad taste in everyone's mouths that i'm anticipating they just disavow any knowledge of that installment this time around.

they should hire whoever they cast as young Han to also do prequels for Indy. just makes sense.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I liked the old rumor that Bradley Cooper was being eyed for a reboot. I think he could pull it off.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Cooper is too smug to play Indy. You need a grumpy curmudgeon.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

He's only grumpy when he's goal oriented - the task at hand trumps his manners. I think Cooper would be ok, but I'd roll my eyes at them using a handsome bastard just for handsome's sake - same if they picked Channing Tatum or James Franco for example (even though both would likely be pretty entertaining in the role).

Shia and the entire Crystal Skull fiasco needs to be forgotten & not even explained. "And now, for something COMPLETELY different!"
"Something inside me....."
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i don't buy bradley cooper as anything other than a smarmy dudebro (like his character in Wedding Crashers).
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

He's a convincing raccoon.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

^ yes, but a smarmy raccoon, so it still fits.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Kathleen Kennedy said that Indiana Jones 5 is in the works and Harrison Ford is involved.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ind ... 00622.html
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I mean, they’ve been saying that for years now.
I’ll believe it when I see a trailer.

It’s like that new Spawn movie Todd is always on about for like the last 40 years.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I never thought I would say this about an Indy movie but…ew.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

You're drunk.
I'm excited for this.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I don't know what to think yet. There were some cool things, but then there were a few things that look cheesy.

Also, I've never been able to finish The Crystal Skull.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I tried rewatching Crystal Skull a few weeks ago. I had completely forgotten about the stupid vine swinging bullshit. And I zoned out during the third act. I was on my phone or whatever. They went over the waterfall, and when I looked up the movie was over and they were getting married. That’s how boring the third act is.