What have you watched lately?

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: What have you watched lately?

Post by Ran »

I was busy watching other stuff yesterday so I forgot to see if AMC was doing their annual showing of 1776. We get free HBO & Cinemax this weekend, but I haven't checked to what movies are going to be on. I still haven't watched that 2 part Elvis documentary from the last free HBO weekend. Their Andre the Giant documentary was really good (even if it was a bit depressing).
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Skyscraper. The Rock has a fake leg and is in a building that’s on fire fighting terrorists and trying to save his family. Watching it on the big screen was fun.

Rampage. The Rock and his giant pet albino monkey fight a giant wolf and a giant crocodile in Chicago. They knock down the Sears Tower. Fun giant monster movie and from what I’ve been told, it’s the best reviewed video game adaptation ever. Ever. Wtf?

Pacific Rim Uprising. Confession; I wasn’t all that impressed with the first one. Think it’s kind of overrated. This one seems like it should’ve been straight to video. Also not sure why Charlie Hunnam didn’t bother to return for the sequel. It’s not like he’s become a huge movie star since the first film. And the script for this one wasn’t any better or worse than the first one. I give it slightly above ‘meh’.

The Shape of Water. What a delightful film. Had no expectations going in. Hadn’t even seen the trailer. I knew it was sort of a Creature from the Black Lagoon meets Splash mashup set in the 50s or 60s but that was it. Good stuff.

Also rewatched Ghostbusters for the 99th time. Fucking classic. I’m glad they never made sequels because it would’ve diluted the awesomeness.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Ran

Post by Ran »

The Angry Birds Movie was on TV yesterday, so I had it on in the background as I did other stuff. It was actually pretty good.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Two this past week.

The Happytime Murders - Just trying to get my money's worth out of Moviepass before they go belly up. A few chuckles, but nothing groundbreaking from an R-rated Roger Rabbit-wannabe-type of film. This movie feels about 15 years too late to be shocking. Team America already did the shock-comedy with puppets and they did it better.

Three Identical Strangers - Terrific, engrossing documentary. In 1980 a guy goes off to college in upstate New York, where everyone greets him like they know him. He finds out that a guy went to the school the previous semester and he looked exactly like him. Turns out they are identical twins, separated at birth and adopted out to different families. The strange one in a million story hits the paper and they soon discover they weren't identical twins - they were actually identical triplets. The brothers are reunited and everything is awesome...until the truth starts to emerge. Things get serious after that.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Hell or high water and wind river by the guy who did the sicarios. All of these are worth your time.

And I'm currently watching war for the planet of the apes after rewatching rise and Dawn. I'll give you an overall opinion once I'm done, but certainly favorable so far.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

The new Apes movies are vastly underrated.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Diabolical wrote:The new Apes movies are vastly underrated.
especially in relation to the source material - god, the first 45 minutes of the first PotA movie was the woman dying and the survivors and Heston's huge toothy grimacesmile wandering around arizona.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It’s November 5th.

So naturally I had to watch the Double Feature of Back to the Future and V For Vendetta.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Ran

Post by Ran »

Notice any parallels between V For Vendetta and the current political climate?
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Better Call Saul season 3, just in time to realize that season 4 has just finished airing on live AMC. I think I'm going to purchase the season on Google play so I don't have to wait to watch. Also started that Life finds a way thing on Netflix, pretty interesting. I might pick and choose a few of the episodes instead of watching all of them.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Christopher Robin. There was something very nostalgic about watching live action Pooh, Piglet, Tigger etc. It helped they used as many of the recurring voice actors as they could. They story wasn’t very memorable, but that didn’t matter.

Incredibles 2. Overhyped/built up considering the wait. Called the bad guy like 30 seconds into the movie. Not bad, but not great.

Fantastic Beasts 1. In prep for the sequel, rewatched the first one.

Ballad of Buster Scruggs. New Coen Bros movie on Netflix. Only watched the first 4 vignettes before I turned it off. Will finish it eventually, but there’s a line between dark humor and just plain dreary.

Children of Men. Also on Netflix right now. Excellent dystopian flick with several mind blowing tracking shots that last several minutes.

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Crimes of Grindelwald. Fuck the haters. This movie was the shiznit.

Not sure what's a bigger deal here: the introduction of a new member of the Dumbledore family, or the hint that Grindelwald might have been a piece of shit, but he was a piece of shit trying to avert World War II.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Ralph Breaks the Internet. It's no Wreck-It Ralph, but it's still a fun movie worth catching in theaters. Not nearly as loaded with Easter eggs, either. (Michael Giacchino appears in possibly the most subtle Easter egg ever.) Despite the marketing, Oh My Disney plays a small and short role. Which is too bad--the Princesses so thoroughly steal this movie, I gladly would've watched them for two hours.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Finally saw Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

Holy fuck.

I feel that my life can be divided into two distinct parts: before watching Kung Pow and after watching Kung Pow.

That was the single dumbest film ever made, no contest. I laughed my fucking ass off for two hours straight.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I have had Kung POW on my stupid "to watch" list for ages - I'll get to it at some point. ><

Almost done Better Call Saul season 4, it's dragging on compared to the first 3 seasons - or maybe watching 2 seasons of it in short order isn't the way it's intended to be watched.

Rebels Season 1 - episodes 1-5. Despite my efforts to hate it, it has actually been pretty engrossing. Cameos by R2, 3PO and Bail Organa so far.