What have you watched lately?

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Been watching a few DVDs lately....

Post by jjreason »

Okay, not tons - but with the Mrs. gone I've checked out Syriana and Munich, with History of Violence and Crash up next. Syriana was awesome - I'd heard some negatives but really liked it. Munich put me to sleep.
"Something inside me....."
captain funtime
sloth

Post by captain funtime »

You mean they have DVD's in that 3rd world country of yours?
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I bought Munich a week or two ago when Best Buy had it for $8 or $9, but have yet to watch it.
Crash was incredible.
A History of Violence is one of the tops on my to-buy list. I just wish someone would put it on sale or the price would drop soon. Keep an eye out for the awesome nude scene. Giggity!
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

A History Of Violence sucked ass, man. What the fuck was up with the "angry sex" scene on the stairs? One minute, Aragorn's beatin' his wife, the next, they're doin' it. And the ending was totally abrupt and stupid.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

What have you watched lately?

Post by anarky »

There's a similar thread over at another site, but it's becoming more and more "three people discuss what horror flicks they've seen and ignore everyone else."

Being at home most of the time now, I've decided to take advantage of Free Movies on Demand (most of them classics from TCM), HBO, and the mass of unwatched DVDs that are building up.

So, here, report what you've seen recently, and then we discuss.

This week, I've seen three movies I've never seen before:

Major Payne: Pretty damned funny movie. I like silly humor, if done well, and it's definitely done well here. Between this, I'm Gonna Git You Sucka!, and In Living Color, it's tough to pinpoint why things went wrong for Damon, who was once one of the funniest men alive.

Bridge on the River Kwai: Damnation, this one is good. And it keeps you guessing, even on the type of film it is. At one point, it seems like a tribute to the human spirit; at other times, an examination of one man's self-destructive obsession; and it even borders on comedy in a few points. The end, even with practically no action, is possibly the most tense nail-biter I've ever seen. This one lives up to the hype. And even Sir Alec liked his work in this one, and we know what a sour bastage he became later on.

The Cat Returns: I love Miyazaki, and have picked up a few non-Miyazaki films by his studio (Studio Ghibli). None that I've seen have disappointed. This one is a bit strange in that a statue of a cat baron is a main character, and it's the same statue that (although quite inanimate) was a major part of the story of the far more realistic Whisper of the Heart. This one is more of a kids' movie, and more geared to girls than boys, but, well, I could say the same about Lilo and Stitch, but that doesn't mean either isn't well worth watching. If you like animation, or if you have kids (especially girls), I'd highly recommend this one, too.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Post by Eternal Padawan »

I can't believe I waited so long to see Bridge on the River Kwai, but when I did purchase the 2-Disc Edition a few years ago, I was blown away. The second disc with all the making of footage was equally entertaining. I highly recommend.
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I think I've seen "The Jizz on River's Eye", which touched on a few key plot points of the real movie. That'll cover it on my end.

In all serious, I've seen nothing new lately. I was planning on going hog wild when I was cooped up in a hotel all last week (they had shit like Borat and James Bond that I'd have gladly watched) - but they wanted $14 per movie so I didn't watch any.

I think the last movie I sat and watched through was Brokeback - make all the jokes you want, it's really good.
"Something inside me....."
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

I watched ANH on HBO today. Good movie...

I went to see Letters from Iwo Jima last week. Damn fine flick as well and a great companion piece to Flags of Our Fathers.
Sweet berry wine!
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

I also watched ANH on HBO, but followed it up with ESB for desert. Think I will pop in ROTJ later on
Ran

Post by Ran »

ROTJ was on this morning. I find myself paying attention to more of the background now and I'm noticing things I've never seen before.
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

I caught the ending of it, will watch it at 12:45 EST on the west channel.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I hate how they show the full screen version. I suppose I could get off my ass and put the DVD in.

Oh, great. HBO2 West is showing The Color Purple. Bastards
Slimmie
knightrider

Post by Slimmie »

Watched Beer-Fest today. Pretty funny, not super funny, but I'd watch it again to make sure I picked up some of the best quotes. Plus it had a few good boobie scenes too.
"America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

Watched Sleepy Hollow tonight. Forgot how much I liked this movie
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

I watched "Beerfest" and most of "Talledega Nights" at Slimmie's yesterday. Two of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time.

Shake and bake, baby!
:grillmarks: