What have you watched lately?

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: What have you watched lately?

Post by Tom Foolery »

My sister was in town for the holiday, so we took my kids to see Ghostbusters. First, i was surprised it was still playing in the theaters. Secondly, I was pleasantly surprised it was a decent flick. Was it as good as the original? Of course not. But it today's hyperbolic world everything is either the GOAT or Hitler's dogshit. I enjoyed it. It's too bad social media prejudged the film and now it probably won't get a sequel. It was certainly better than Ghostbusters II.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I've heard some good about it from people I generally trust, you included. I don't really care one way or the other. I'll catch it at some point, I guess, but remakes generally don't excite me too much.

Since you said it was certainly better than Ghostbusters II, I take it you're in the "Ghostbusters II makes Jar Jar's sweaty scrotum look like quality entertainment" camp? That more than any movie (even TPM) seems divided into camps on whether it was a decent sequel or dogshit's shit.

I would never say it was a preferable sequel to the events of The Real Ghostbusters cartoon (I doubt anyone would), but I didn't think it was bad.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

They waited to long to make GB2 and it just wasn't very good or memorable. Does it suck ass? No. Can you recall anything about it, or quote any lines from it? No. It was a weak cash grab after the first one became a monster hit, but waiting six years to make it was a mistake.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

"Valentine's Day? Bummer."

"You sly dog."

"Do."
"Re."
"Egon!"

I'll admit that's about the extent of it.

It did bug me that Slimer shows up as a Ghostbuster ally like it's no big deal. That detail was from the cartoon, which the sequel can't coexist with.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

I've never actually sat down and watched Ghostbusters 2 in its entirety, so I can't really say what I think of it. I know the basic plot. The parts I have seen, never grabbed my attention the way the original did.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i use the line "everything you are doing is bad... i want you to know this." all the time. it was a throw-away line by peter macnicol's character, janosz poha, the director of the art restoration dept. i like gb2. not as much as the first one.

i really liked the new one, and so did my daughter.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

You.know what's forgettable and unremarkable? The Ghostbusters 2 soundtrack. Elton John, Glenn Frey, Run-DMC, Oingo Boingo--and none of them did anything worth a damn.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap. A documentary by Ice T. I missed the beginning. And since it was on regular TV, a good part of what I saw was bleeped out. It was actually pretty interesting.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Deadpool. I recorded it a couple weeks ago when we had free HBO for the weekend. I really didn't know much about the character going into this other than the fact that he was a wise ass. You all know I'm not as into the superhero movies as much as the rest of you, but this is probably my favorite one so far.
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

Don't Breathe: for some reason the trailers pulled me in and I was entertained by it. It's a decent thriller that I watched twice in theaters (different girls) and I'm not mad about it.

Fury: about the 5th time I've seen it and it's still a great flick.
Sweet berry wine!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Spotlight. Last year's Oscar winner. It was good, but I keep thinking about all the actors as they're comic book characters. And it has A LOT of comic book actors in it.

Jason Bourne. Decent flick, but not as engaging as the original trilogy. Kinda like Stranger Tides, feels like a tacked on money maker for the franchise. I thought even the Jeremy Renner "sequel" was better, as it had some memorable action set pieces. This one was just barely above meh.

Pee Wee's Big Holiday. Holy shit this was fantastic. I'm not even joking. Joe Managiello playing himself is fucking hysterical. The opening sequence of Pee Wee's Rube Goldbergian morning routine was what sold me on the flick. And the balloon sequence had me in stitches. Fun, goofy stuff.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Some stuff from the last couple of months.

Keanu - The Key & Peele Kitten movie. Meh. I expected more based on the buzz.

Fences - Denzel's Oscar bait. The entire cast puts on an acting clinic. Great flick.

O Brother Where Art Thou - Good, not great. Too much quirk for the sake of being quirky. I don't know why it's so beloved. Blasphemy, I know.

The White Rabbit Project - The new Netflix series with Tory, Grant, and Kari from Mythbusters. Some episodes are better than others, but I liked it.

The Jungle Book - Great animation. The rest is ok.

The Great Outdoors - The John Candy/Dan Akroyd flick. I haven't seen it in years. A lot of it holds up. I'm surprised Adam Sandler and Kevin James haven't tried remaking it.

The Burbs - Tom Hanks classic. I wish this motherfucker would do comedy again. Carrie Fisher in her early 30's still feels older than I am.

O.J.: Made in America - ESPN's 8 hour documentary. Phenomenal. This shit was 22-23 years ago? Fuck. When someone that wasn't around for it asks what the big deal was with the O.J. trial, show them this.

Deadfall - In an attempt to start clearing stuff from my Netflix queue I watched this snoozer of a thriller with a big cast. Eric Bana, Charlie Human, Olivia Wilde, Kate Mara, Treat Williams, Sissy Spacek, and Kris Kristopherson.

Ghostheads - Ghostbusters fan documentary on Netflix. Meh, should've been a DVD extra.

Sully - Tom Hanks again. Even in an ok movie like this, Hanks is always good.

La La Land - Over-hyped, but entertaining sure-to-clean-up-at-the-Oscars flick. The Academy seems to love these throwbacks to old Hollywood.

Zootopia - Netflix. A lot better than I expected. A few genuinely funny moments.

Jane Got A Gun - Netflix. Natalie "Padme" Portman seeks the help of Joel "Owen" Edgerton from the evil Ewan "Obi-Wan" McGregor in this dull western.

Ghost Team - Netflix. "Comedy" with John Heder.

Amanda Knox - Netflix documentary about *spoilers* Amanda Knox. Not as engrossing as the O.J. one, but I really didn't pay much attention to the story while it was happening, just the basics.

The Nice Guys - Russele Crowe and Ryan Gosling in the under-performing mystery/crime/action/comedy from writer-director Shane Black. I thought it was pretty damn good. I laughed several times.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Watched part of Mortal Kombat last night followed by the entire Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. They were so bad on so many levels, I couldn't turn them off.
anarky

Post by anarky »

The first one is pretty fun. The second is right down there with Highlander 2.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I thought we had a LEGO Movie topic, but I guess not.

Saw LEGO Batman today. Absolutely hilarious. Extremely funny sendup/love letter to the entire Batman mythos with in jokes from literally every era of Batman. And of course, plenty of LEGO jokes as well. I'd say not quite as glorious as the LEGO Movie, but just about as close as you can get.
Also a bit of trivia as it's the only movie in which Ralph Fiennes is in the movie, and Lord Voldemort is in the movie, but not played by Fiennes. So, bar bet info right there.