What have you watched lately?

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: What have you watched lately?

Post by Ran »

Ok, so there was a reboot as well as time travel. Got it.

The two things that were consistent in the two versions were that Hugh Jackman was Wolverine and Cyclops was a douche. In the 90s animated series, he wasn't a douche.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:First Class a reboot or a prequel? I would have gone with prequel. :P
I went with reboot in the sense that Last Stand made the “present day” continuity toxic scorched earth so they had to come up with a premise that could ignore it and start over. Brett Ratner ruined everything.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Fuck, it was bad. I need to re-watch Apocalypse again because I kept falling asleep, but it was pretty bad too if what I caught was representative. Didn't they even make a joke about the third one always being the worst?

Rando - the nature of Cyclops' character is that of an introvert who is basically forced into a leadership role. He turns out to be pretty good at it, but interpersonal stuff like joking around or banter will never come natural to him. To look competent in front of battle hardened teammates (ok, Wolverine) he may put on an air of arrogance at times, but in my mind this is more defensive than anything else. Later on in the comics he becomes so driven that he is more like Magneto than Professor X.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Tom Foolery wrote:Saturday morning, I decided to peruse Hulu for something I hadn't seen before. I ended up watching the 1968 cult sci-fi classic Barberella with a suitably nekked Jane Fonda cavorting everywhere. It was hilariously campy. David Hemmings "sex" scene needs to be a gif.
Wal-Mart had Barbarella for $5 on DVD so I picked it up. It is camp, cheesy, and stupid.
I always forget that Jane Fonda was stupid hot 50 years ago.

I know a remake has been an on/off thing for years, but I'd love to see it happen, as long as they maintain the spirit of it and keep it sexy and ridiculous. I was recasting it in my head as I watched. Margot Robbie could work as Barbarella - she's definitely done nudity before (or a young Charlize Theron would have been great). Chris Pine as Pygar, the blind angel, and Alfred Molina as Durand Durand.

The best part is that the flick is rated PG.That's a lot of titty for a PG movie.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Since last time...

Thor: The Dark World - The road to Infinity War. People give this movie a lot of shit. It is the weakest of the Thor trilogy, but its not bad. Like so many early Marvel movies, it suffers most from the forgettable villain.

Annihilation - Loved it. Great sci-fi/mystery with horror elements. Worth seeing for the bear scene alone - that shit is the stuff nightmares are made of.
I think its on Netflix outside the US.

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - Cheap Blu-Ray buy. Some chuckles, but nothing outstanding. I'm guessing it might be one of those comedies that plays better with a crowd.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The road to Infinity War. Damn, this movie is great.

Deadpool - The road to Infinity War Deadpool 2. I always think this movie is funny, but then I rewatch it and realize I always underestimate just how funny it is.

Tomb Raider - Rebooted film series based on the rebooted game series. I enjoyed it. The action is really well done and Alicia Vikander (yum) is a great as the new Lara Croft. Too bad the chances of a sequel look bleak.
I just found out she's married to Michael Fassbender. Poor girl. She must have a hard time walking these days.

Guardians of the Galaxy - The road to Infinity War. Endlessly rewatchable.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Clambake - Elvis movie. Definitely had a 1967 feel to it.

Big Trouble in Little China - There is some goofy stuff in it, but it isn't bad.

DirecTV has free Showtime this weekend. Haven't check to see what's on yet.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I watched a movie titled Clambake once.

It was very different.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Big Trouble in Little China is overrated.

There. I said it.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Agreed. Its a good kind of stupid, but dated and overrated.

A few years ago they announced a remake which is a great idea - I think The Rock was attached to star.
It could stand to be updated and make it a lot more fun.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Diabolical wrote:Since last time...

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - Cheap Blu-Ray buy. Some chuckles, but nothing outstanding. I'm guessing it might be one of those comedies that plays better with a crowd.
I just skipped to the moments where Aubrey Plaza was in anything less than full clothing & I found it delightful. Only took about 10 min to watch, too.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Every time someone says bad things about Big Trouble in Little China, an angel dies of hemmorhoids.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Spaceballs. I have to admit that there are some cheesy scenes and bad lines in between the funny parts.

Rush: Time Stand Still - Its a documentary about Rush's final tour. Narrated by Paul Rudd. Everybody likes Paul Rudd. I thought it was very well done.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

That was a good documentary. I watched about the last 30 min of it & forgot to go back & see the start. I'm into one now called the Defiant Ones or something like that about Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine. Super interesting.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

The Avengers: Age of Ultron - The real problem with this flick is Ultron/James Spader. Totally miscast and...strange. I haven't read a lot of Ultron stuff, but he was pretty poorly written.

Pacific Rim - Rewatch for the sequel. Just as big, dumb, stupid, and fun as it was 5 years ago. How do you top big robots fighting big monsters?

Pacific Rim: Uprising - By having big robots fight big robots and big monsters! Just as big, dumb, stupid, and fun as the first.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Jumanji:Welcome to the Jungle. Enjoyable film that doesn’t step on the toes of the first film. Some funny moments.

Darkest Hour. Gary Oldman’s portrayal of Winston Churchill earned him an Oscar finally. I’m a sucker for WWII movies.

Geostorm. Hahahahah. What the fuck. Awfulsome.

And I started rewatching the MCU. Almost done with Phase 1.