FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Post by Eternal Padawan »

Doom is in it.

Galactus is NOT the Kirby-esque giant purple guy we are all wanting to see onscreen. I read that months ago. Apparently it's a large cloud-type thing. Which sucks, but once you prepare yourself for it, is not a big deal. We are still getting Reed, Johnny, Sue, Ben, Doom, and Norrin Radd.
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Is H.E.R.B.I.E. in it?

I refuse to see any FF movie without him.

And what the fuck is up with Johnny going all "Super Skrull"?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Not to be too spoileriffic, but apparently the "Cosmic Rays" that gave the Fab Four their powers are from the Silver Surfer in some way. So when he touches them again, he sets their powers all wonky and they start switching off. Eventually Johnny and then Reed get all four powers to defeat him. or something like that.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

Yeah. Galactus is a swarm of Bees, Doc Doom summoned the Surfer or whatever. This film is REAL low on my "hopeful" list, reminds me way too much of chewap 80's films where the producers budgeted for one action sequence and tried desparately to pad out the rest of the runtime with a mix of comedy and shitty, pointless drama

If there's RAVES over it, I might go so far as to track down a rip :mabs:
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

FANTASTIC FOUR 2 IS BETTER THAN SPIDER-MAN 3.

Heresy? No.

FF2 does not get overwhelmed by it's own director's idiosyncracies. While Tim Story is not a "memorable" director like Tarantino, Michael Bay, or Sam Raimi, he doesn't need to be. He lets the characters he's been given to play with tell their own story. He gets out of the way and lets The Fantastic Four act like the Fantastic Four in this movie. Unlike a certain other Superhero movie this summer, these characters have not become parodies of themselves because the actors got bored and wanted to "have fun" with the roll. The acting was better in this and where it was was a little hedgy, there was always enough other performances that you didn't stay on the poor one *cough Jessica Alba cough* for very long. Every characterization is faithful, with enough variation to allow for some fun moments, like Reed's Bachelor Party, flying coach etc.

His movie is short and sweet. It gets in, tells its tale and gets out, avoiding any meandering subplots and forced characters. The Silver Surfer was in the movie just enough to be cool. Dr. Doom pops up only as a plot device and not because Julian McMahon needs his screen time. I was actually surprised at how little he was in the film, but it was the right amount, and Doom still comes across as a double crossing dick and a threat. Galactus wasn't the giant Purple Menace we all know and love, but what they did works well enough. And there was a slight nod to the original when his shadow falls across Saturn on the way to Earth. I thought maybe they could have done a little more with that when Norrin Radd confronts "G" in the middle of the cloud. Even a hint of a silhouette or something would have been cool, but whatev.

And above all, it was fun. The power switching was great, and worked as a plot device, too. Jessica Alba is totally hot when shes naked and on fire. The Fantasticar was cool and accurate, even down to the "splitting" feature.

Ghost Rider was a swing and a miss, SM3 was a serious foul ball, but Marvel finally gets a "double" this year. They didn't hit it out of the park, but you got a solid, fun popcorn experience waiting for you.
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

This is more or less what I posted at the other site:
I liked more than the first. Better action and more comedy, especially between Johnny and Ben. The Surfer looked great for an all CGI character.

A few complaints I can overlook:

Ben's rock still moves like rubber, which really bugged me in the first one.

The dance scene (which was nowhere near as bad a Spider-man 3's).

Doom was even worse this time around. They start him off in the right direction by making him all scarred up and fugly (the original reason he wore that damn mask) only to screw it up and have him miraculously healed by the Surfer. And he had no real point to be in the movie besides a temporary distraction to make the ending a little more intense.

My biggest complaint is obviously Galactus. No, no he's not a swarm of bees, but a cloud of rock...stuff. I would have preferred the giant guy (an updated black and sliver design would've been cool), but no.
Eternal Padawan wrote:His movie is short and sweet. It gets in, tells its tale and gets out, avoiding any meandering subplots and forced characters.
At 90 minutes it was maybe a little too short, IMO. 10-15 more minutes would have been great.
Eternal Padawan wrote:Galactus wasn't the giant Purple Menace we all know and love, but what they did works well enough. And there was a slight nod to the original when his shadow falls across Saturn on the way to Earth. I thought maybe they could have done a little more with that when Norrin Radd confronts "G" in the middle of the cloud. Even a hint of a silhouette or something would have been cool, but whatev.
But there was a another silhouette-ish shape of G's helmet in the cloud near the end when the Surfer tells Galactus that he will no longer be his herald.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I heard that Reed blew the Silver Surfer . Is that true?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Diabolical wrote:
Eternal Padawan wrote:Galactus wasn't the giant Purple Menace we all know and love, but what they did works well enough. And there was a slight nod to the original when his shadow falls across Saturn on the way to Earth. I thought maybe they could have done a little more with that when Norrin Radd confronts "G" in the middle of the cloud. Even a hint of a silhouette or something would have been cool, but whatev.
But there was a another silhouette-ish shape of G's helmet in the cloud near the end when the Surfer tells Galactus that he will no longer be his herald.

Really? I must've missed that. I guess I was looking for something more concrete in the center of the cloud and wasn't looking for "subtle".

I was really impressed with the level of articulation they did with the Surfer. Even his close-ups resonated as a real person. It looked kind of like Duane "The Rock" Johnson's face was the blueprint, but slimmer.
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

If ya SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLALALALALALA what the Surfer is ccoking
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

Well, pleasant surprise to see this movie, I thought it was good. Fishburne as the Silver Surfers voice was pretty cool. Doom showing up was a nice touch, but I thought he stole the Surfers powers when he was knocked off his board.
Would be a shame if the Surfer died at the end of the movie, wouldnt have minded a Silver Surfer movie of some kind
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

I think they tacked that "recovery" scene of the Silver Surfer on at the end so if the movie did well, they can spin SS off into his own movie.

Bring on Thanos, bitches!

What would be a good villain in the third movie? I would love to see FF3 open with them fighting the huge monster from the cover of their first issue, and then fight MoleMan but take him out in the first 5-10 minutes. Then either a Negative Zone movie vs Annihilus or a Skrull movie.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I thought they should have saved Galactus for the third movie and just teased him and having the Surfer in both 2 and 3.
Almost anything they face on Earth (like the Mole Man) will seem pretty minor compared to Big G and I don't think they should go too sci-fi (off-planet) for the third.
Unless they fight off a Skrull invasion or something, but even that could seem too similar to the Big G.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

My vote is for a Kree/Skrull war installment. Have Uatu contact them out of dire urgency and send them to try and moderate.... which of course won't work. Then they kick Skrull butt for about half an hour. Roll credits.
"Something inside me....."
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

I think they could have alot of fun with Skrulls coming in and being 'Evil Doubles' for oll the main characters, allowing everyone to act goofy or evil or whatever. The skrulls are trying to get their DNA and they end up getting it and creating a Super-Skrull for them to beat up in the third act.

But, oh yeah, Tim Story already wasted the "all four powers at once" gag in the second movie. idiot.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

A third one would also need to be more than 90 minutes long.