FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Post by anarky »

I really want Fox to have to make a deal with Disney.

Every Marvel movie where Dr. Doom isn't lurking in the back of every hero's mind is tragic.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

The potential is really there. In the comic Marvel Universe one of the best character driven rivalries is between Reed Richards & Dr Doom - and as a fan of the FF I find it a big, gaping hole in the movie universe. I wish Fox would just let them deal with it - they could make a fortune.
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

I really hope Marvel has a plan to work them into Infinity War, and is waiting for this to bomb to approach Fox and say, "Yo, how'd you like half of a Fantastic Four movie that people give a shit about?" Kinda like with Spider-Man.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

so what do we all think about this new movie FantFourStic? it looks an awful lot like those forgettable Fantastic Four movies that Fox made a few years ago.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

It still looks generic.
The reviews have been brutal.

The 90 minute run time ain't helping anything.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I just watched it.
Awful might be too harsh a word.
But it is a very boring film. Which makes it a different kind of awful.
There isn't any kind of Marvel comics joy anywhere to be found. There was no charisma in any of the characters.
But it wasn't even like the dark angsty Chris Nolan WB template either.

It was a Fantastic Bore.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Somehow, that's actually worse.

Currently at 8% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's considerably lower than even Pixels.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Assuming Kate Mara would almost single handedly assure any project a 96 percent on any measuring tool, this movie must truly be a negative 104. That is not good.

"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

9% on RottenTomatoes. Yikes.
Less than 24 hours after it opened, the director was already Tweeting about studio interference.
And heyve revised the weekend estimates down to where it might not make $30M.

Disney should sue Fox for damaging the Marvel Cinematic brand.
It'd be like if WB had released the movie as Star Wars Episode XIII: Jupiter Ascending.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

There are people who don't know it's not a Marvel movie, especially since I'm assuming it opens with the Marvel logo, as all the movies have done. I've even seen some critics who don't seem to understand the difference.

So far, Disney has only released one non-MCU Marvel movie theatrically, the (much changed) Big Hero 6. The cameos in Fred's collection could still exist in the MCU (so a Sleepwalker Netflix show is only extremely unlikely, not totally unlikely).
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I saw Fant4stic on Thursday evening because I couldn't resist seeing exactly how bad it could be.
And yes, it is bad. Really bad.
The worst comic book movie ever? Far from it. Off the top of my head: both Ghost Riders, Punisher War Zone and Elektra were worse.

Watching the movie, you can't help but think how obvious that massive chunks of this film had been cut or reworked. The 95 minute run time (minus credits) make that even more painfully obvious. Gone is any sort of characterization or motivation for any of the characters. Replaced is nothing but idiotic motivations, asinine suspensions of disbelief and plotholes galore.

I can't fault the main cast. They are all good. It's too bad that very little of their performance remain intact. Everyone comes across as flat and lifeless.

There are the seeds of a good movie here. The science fiction angle director Josh Trank took is the right one, as the first FF story is pure science fiction. After hearing 3 parts of the 4 part interview he's been doing with Kevin Smith on SModcast I find it very hard to believe that he is the massive asshole we have been lead to believe from the rumors that spread a while ago. He clearly had a passion for this film.

What happened later is the real mystery. After seeing what was released, I believe the rumors that Fox got cold feet (for some reason), removed Trank, reshot massive chunks and recut this film. I would love to see a real director's cut, which still might not be any good, but it has to be better than this mess.

The one thing that I feel that can be be blamed on Trank: Dr. Doom.
Jesus Fucking Christ. It made me long for the 2005-2007 version. At least he looked like Dr. Doom.
Why is it so fucking hard to get this character right?
anarky

Post by anarky »

All kidding and wishful thinking aside, could Marvel sue Fox for breach of contract somehow?

FF is their property. The Marvel logo flashes at the beginning, I'm sure. Everyone knows it's based on a Marvel comic, and, if not, every review mentions it.

It's also pretty obvious from just a random sampling of social media that the majority of "non-geeks" do not understand this movie is not made by Marvel Studios, nor part of the MCU. Even a lot of critics don't seem to fully grasp this.

So, bottom line, a bad FF harms Marvel's brand.

It's looked for a while like they threw together a movie only to keep the rights. Trank's comments seem to back that up. It's understandable to try to make a good movie and fail miserably. To not give a shit in the quest to simply release something , though is a lot less defensible if there's a reasonable expectation for a licensee to not damage the brand.

So, really, I wonder if Marvel could cause some serious legal shit if Fox doesn't negotiate.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The unhappy truth of it is that Fox can legally sit on the property for another 7 years now. So even if they let the rights lapse, it'll be 2022 before Marvel gets them back. And then we probably wouldn't see an FF film until 2024 or 2025.

Disney bringing legal action is probably a mess they really don't want to pull the trigger on. They might be better off dangling some carrot Fox wants in exchange for the FF back. Or even pulling a Sony deal.

Or Disney could just buy Fox altogether. If they've got $4B for Marvel and $4B for Star Wars, I'm sure they can dig in the couch cushions for the treefiddy Fox is worth at this point.
I'm trying to think of what franchise properties Fox has that are remotely popular. Aliens? Die Hard? Oh yeah, X-Men...

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

There is the rumor that the FF rights are Disney's big bargaining chip if Fox really wants to do an X-Men tv series, since Fox only has film the rights.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

just watched Fant4stic for the first time, since it was recently added to Disney+... wow. it makes the other two look like masterpieces. i was waiting for something to happen, and then there were 20 minutes left. the guy who plays Reed looks like he was made of rubber even before the 'incident', and the only real part he plays in the climax is Basil Exposition. "he overloaded it. it will create a black hole that will consume the entire planet" he said, with the logical assessment of a single quick glance...

why didn't Ben get pants?

and, yeah, they really don't understand Dr. Doom at all.
Life is short. STUNT IT!