Superhero casting call: What the hell ever

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Superhero casting call: What the hell ever

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Gina Carano should play She-Hulk. With Alison Brie playing Jen Walters.

I was trying to think of some blonde pretty boy actor to play Captain Marvel for one film (or one and a half films because he'd die in the sequel) before Ms. Marvel would take over for the subsequent films and also be in the Avengers sequels.

Ms./Captain Marvel would be played by Kristen Bell, Yvonne Strahovski, or Sarah Jones.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

A discussion on FB about switching races of characters led me to use the G.I.Joe movies as examples, pretty extensively.

The first movie is full of race-switching for no reason whatsoever. Breaker and Ripcord are the two big examples. Also, not quite race, but Baroness is American. The movie failed on all levels. (Ripcord's problems with being like any previous version of Ripcord were so bad that the race change was the smallest of them.)

But the second movie is especially interesting. We have Dwayne Johnson, who is so light-skinned most people seem to think he's white, playing the best-known black dude from G.I.Joe. (Seeming) race-switching based more on casting the best actor for the role than simply to make things more diverse. And, in the same movie, we have Blind Master as a black dude, presumably because the comic book Blind Master was black, never mind that the black guy they cast sucks ass in the role and there's no logical reason or explanation for why the leader of the "good" Arashikage in Japan is an American black man. It's almost like they set out to prove that casting a character based entirely on race (when it's not a case where the race is an important facet of the character--you can't have a white Luke Cage or an South African Storm Shadow) fails.

Another point was, if you're going to stick with the races as originally created, anything before the 1980s is going to be an awful lot of white guys. And the minorities are going to be caricatures. Again, I went to Joe as an example since it's from the 80s and has a billion characters. It's not until the fourth wave that the minorities weren't stereotypes (with Zap being sort of an exception, since his filecard says practically nothing about him, the figure looks like Grunt with black hair, and he was underused in the comic and cartoon, so most people probably think he's white if they even remember him). Stalker: street gang leader from Detroit. Roadblock: so scary that he doesn't need his guns. Airborne: likely psychic. Spirit: talks to animals and dresses like a Village People reject. Storm Shadow: ninja. Wave 4, you get Quick Kick (a stereotype, but more a Bruce Lee homage than a straight-up stereotype), Alpine (about as white as a black guy can get), and Shipwreck (who is so non-Mexican that the cartoon just made him white for all intents and purposes). It's almost like a backlash against the earlier guys. And then from that point they get normal.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:Dude, those guys are way too old. If you were making a Luke Cage movie in the early 90s, then yes. But not 2014.

That's like saying Robert Redford should be Captain America, Burt Reynolds should be Iron Man, and James Caan should play Bruce Banner.
while searching for proof of my Luke Cage as Cap theory, i found this post and thought it was pretty funny. Robert Redford AS Cap, no, but as Cap's boss...?
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Tom Hardy said he wants to play The Punisher.

Fuck yes. Make it happen Marvel.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I can see that. Tom Jane would've been my top choice, but that's unlikely, and he's probably getting too old.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Punisher is most likely going to be a Wave 2 Netflix Series. Would Hardy commit to TV? He seems more a movie guy.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'd love to see Tom Jane return also, but after Dirty Laundry he said that was his farewell to Frank.

Netflix is only 13 episodes. From what little I've seen of Tom Hardy he doesn't seem the type to think tv is beneath him. He wore a mask the entire time in Batman. Besides, big stars doing tv is the cool thing to do now. Look at House of Cards, and True Detective. Or shows like The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, which didn't have a big name movie star, but they draw massive audiences and attention.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Here's an idea that, done right, could be fucking brilliant. Done wrong, king of disasters.

Totally by coincidence, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Scourge, and Crossbones (in the costume) appear on the scene at about the same time. Daredevil, Iron Fist, Cage, and whoever else become aware of various murders and attempted murders. Though the MO's don't match, when there is a survivor (particularly in Ghost Rider cases), he or she can only describe their attacker by mentioning a black suit and a skull. They think they're after one guy. Since it's four different people, it's next to impossible to track the perp down, but they have to: there's no rhyme or reason to the attacks, and Crossbones goes after guys who aren't criminals (or at least not obviously so). Maybe Scourge is following the MO of a previous Scourge from years or even decades ago (I can't remember if he ever had a proper backstory, and he's kinda a "who gives a shit? we already have Punisher" character), and they think it's all a new Scourge, but don't know who. And it ends with a kickass crossover.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Scourge turned out to be several guys bankrolled by golden age hero The Angel. USAgent took them out.
Later on, he's been co-opted by shady govt types. I know there was a Thunderbolts arc where Jack "Nomad"Monroe was brainwashed into being Scourge. Then Nuke was one for awhile in Ellis' TBolts.
The most recent one turned out to be brainwashed Dennis Dunphy and Cap had to kill him.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Zaphod
knightrider
Location: CHESTER A. ARTHUR'S WIFE'S VAGINA... WITH THE VINEGAR, BABY!

Post by Zaphod »

rob riggle as the punisher. make it a comedy. piss everyone off.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Bradley Cooper should play Adam Warlock. He's already doing Rocket's voice.
Pull a Bettany with him.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

How about this casting strategy...

Christian Bale as Kraven the Hunter.
Val Kilmer as Dr. Otto Octavius.
George Clooney as Norman Osborn.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

It's going to be tough to out do Michael Keaton (as always). Bale I like, but is Val Kilmer still alive? I know he's alive, but I mean alive & able to do anything? Clooney would have to show me he can flip the switch & become psychotic as needed - I've never seen him any other way but suave.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Mark Hamill had recently expressed interest in playing Doc Ock.
Yes, please.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Saw Ray Liotta in an ad for Chantix the other day and thought he’d make a pretty good Wrecker. Then I thought what other “seasoned” actors could play the rest of the Wrecking Crew?
Eddie Murphy as Thunderball. The smart guy on the team.
The other two, Bulldozer and Piledriver, didn’t really have too much personality from what I can remember. Bulldozer was ex-military Mst Sgt I think.
The other guy was just Wrecker’s cellmate at Rykers.

Thoughts?