MCU Topic

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: MCU Topic

Post by anarky »

"Noble sentiments from one who is about to die."
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I'm intrigued by the "half" notion. I have never read the Infinity Gauntlet series or the corresponding Surfer issues - but hasn't Thanos' goal always been complete & utter destruction? Does "half" factor into the comics as well? I can only speculate that we'll be losing half our heroes - so how about a list of potential deaths?

Thor & Loki - clearly Loki will die.

Iron Man & Rhodey - where you might think Rhodey has to go, they can kill Tony & have him become a Stark AI like he has in RiRi Williams' book... kinda like Obi Wan's spirit. So my guess is Tony.

Cap & Bucky - Hmmmm. Tough to call. The Death of Cap would really be something but the trailer is almost TOO foreshadowing. My guess is Bucky.

Vision & Scarlet Witch - well I seem to recall the sceptre preparing to pull the yellow stone off Vision's head in one of the preview trailers, and Quicksilver is already gone. I will guess Vision, but we'll see him again somehow. Technology, am I right?

Hawkeye/Ronin & Black Widow - I think Hawkeye will get to retire to the family, and that Nat will die to allow that to happen. I can see it now - we be saddened but secretly & ashamedly aroused by the orgasmic look she has on her face at the time of death.

Hulk & ? - who do I pair the Hulk with, General Ross? I am still hoping against hope for a Hulk standalone, so I'll suggest Ross is going to eat it.
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

jjreason wrote:I'm intrigued by the "half" notion. I have never read the Infinity Gauntlet series or the corresponding Surfer issues - but hasn't Thanos' goal always been complete & utter destruction? Does "half" factor into the comics as well?
Get out.

Just get the fuck out. And leave your geek card at the door.

:hulkout:

As I recall, Thanos thought the universe was unbalanced because there were more living beings in the present than had ever died in the past, and he sought to rectify this by eliminating half the life forms. (And get into Death's cobwebbed panties doing it.) It wasn't an even 50/50 along any discernible lines--the entire FF team was wiped out, for instance.

You really, really, really should read it. Even if just the six issues of the main title. It is a classic. And, even if the story sucked, the artwork is glorious.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I can see Peter stepping into Tony's shoes.
Homecoming set up that (surrogate) father/son, mentor/mentee relationship.

It'd be an interesting change to the mythos.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:I watched the trailer & shit my pants. Then I changed my pants & watched it again but shit them again. I literally cannot risk a third viewing as all my pants are now in the wash.
*thumbs towards JJ*
Get a load of mister moneybags over here with three pairs of pants.

—————————

I feel like the big three of Iron Man, Thor, and Cap will be sacrificed either in this movie or the next.

The ‘next gen’ of heroes Dr Strange, Panther, and Capt Marvel will step up for the next round of films. As well as whatever new heroes they feel can sustain their own movies. Which at this point could be anyone in the Marvel U. Also Fantastic Four. Just saying.

I feel like Black Widow will be around because they were talking about a BW solo film.
Bucky will be the new Cap going forward.

It would be cool if they used the Gauntlet to bring back Quicksilver.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

That all came out during my break. I left comics right as Jim Lee was starting on X-Men (google tells me that was 1989) and I didn't come back until the 2nd or 3rd issue of the Batman "Knightfall" thingy leading up to 500 (1993). Infinity Gauntlet was smack dab in the middle of that, 2nd half of 1991. Yes, there has been lots of time since I came back to get it read, just haven't gotten there yet. :(
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It’s been so long since I read IG, I’d have to go back and reread it and it would probably be 85% “new” for me. I remember the broad strokes, but not many specifics.

I remember the lead in series Thanos Quest was the fucking balls. 2 issue prestige series where Thanos gathers the gems from all the Elders of the Universe. It kicked ass

I do remember George Perez was drawing it until DC made him quit to go do their “event” series that summer; The War of the Gods. And Ron Lim finished up the rest of the IG series.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

My chance at getting Thanos Quest for less than an organ will be when they release Silver Surfer Epic Collection 6 - appropriately entitled "Thanos' Quest". I have the volume 7 sitting here with the IG tie in issues, but it doesn't include IG of course. So my question - grab an IG trade & read all that now, or wait so I can read Thanos' Quest first? Sucks ass that the book won't get here until the end of May, a full month after the movie. :frus:
anarky

Post by anarky »

I read IG on its own without reading Thanos Quest (which was already pricey a couple of months after release). IG sums up the most important points of that miniseries nicely.

I also only read the tie-in issues in series I was already reading. It was pricey for a teenager with a shit job to branch out too much. (I can't imagine what it must be with modern crossovers.) So I'd just get a battered copy of IG and read it.

Cap vs Thanos is, honest to God, one of the best confrontations in comic book history, even as ridiculously one-sided as it is. "Noble sentiments from one who is about to die."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Yeah, you don’t need to read TQ to enjoy or follow IG.

But definitely read it eventually. That and the SS series starting with 34(?) were where Starlin came back to Marvel and picked up where he left off with the Thanos/Warlock cosmic epic. And Ron Lim is still my definitive/favorite SS artist because of it.

Ran

Post by Ran »

anarky wrote:
jjreason wrote:I'm intrigued by the "half" notion. I have never read the Infinity Gauntlet series or the corresponding Surfer issues - but hasn't Thanos' goal always been complete & utter destruction? Does "half" factor into the comics as well?
Get out.

Just get the fuck out. And leave your geek card at the door.

:hulkout:

As I recall, Thanos thought the universe was unbalanced because there were more living beings in the present than had ever died in the past, and he sought to rectify this by eliminating half the life forms. (And get into Death's cobwebbed panties doing it.) It wasn't an even 50/50 along any discernible lines--the entire FF team was wiped out, for instance.

You really, really, really should read it. Even if just the six issues of the main title. It is a classic. And, even if the story sucked, the artwork is glorious.
See, I didn't read the comics so as to not be all the way geek, but my friend here is 100% geek. He LOVES the comics.

Sorry, something about that whole exchange reminded me of that line from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Those movie, much like Trailer Park Boys, are tragic comedies because they are way too close to the truth. :(
anarky

Post by anarky »

I was obviously kidding, but I am shocked that JJ was reading comics at the time and has never read Infinity Gauntket.

Infinity War and Infinity Crusade are far less vital.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

anarky wrote:I was obviously kidding, but I am shocked that JJ was reading comics at the time and has never read Infinity Gauntket.

Infinity War and Infinity Crusade are far less vital.
And the even lesser known Infinity Abyss and The End.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I am annoyed that other websites, when predicting Marvel’s slate of films post-Phase 3, all come to the same unoriginal conclusions as GotG 3, Black Panther 2 and 3, Dr Strange 2 and 3, Capt Marvel 2 and 3, Ant-Man 3, and Spider-Man 3. And Black Widow.

No shit guys. Why don’t you do a little creative guessing and come up with which Marvel characters will get the spotlight that ARENT already in the MCU.