Lincoln Rhyme

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Lincoln Rhyme

Post by Eternal Padawan »

The new Lincoln Rhyme by Jeffrey Deaver paperback finally came out last week.

If you don't know Lincoln Rhyme, you might remember him from the Movie "The Bone Collector" with Denzel and Angelina Jolie.

Imagine Dr House if he was played by Christopher Reeve crossed with CSI. An irredeemable dickhead quadrapalegic who happens to be the best forensics expert ever. Throw in "plots so twisted, they could hide behind a spiral staircase" and you got some good beach reading. There's been six or seven books so far.

The Bone Collector
The Coffin Dancer
The Empty Chair
The Stone Monkey
The Vanished Man
The Twelfth Card

I realize I'm pretty much the only person who reads books anymore, but i try to encourage reading whenever i can.
jdr3
sloth

Post by jdr3 »

I've read all of those except the Twelfth Card and Bone collector, I think.

Interesting description of Lincoln though...hmph
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

But accurate, no? The guy is a total douchebag to everyone.

Once you've read enough of them you can kinda start seeing the plot twists coming, but for everyone I catch, I miss the bigger one and it blows me away. Like the one in The Stone Monkey. I'm still trying to figure out a way to make that work on the big screen. That would be so cool to pull off.
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Completely unrelated: I'm going to start calling my wiener "the stone monkey" in honor of this thread.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I saw The Bone Collector, didn't realize it was based on a book in a series. A rather good movie, but not one I'd rush out to get on DVD.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eternal Padawan</i>
<br />Imagine Dr House if he was played by Christopher Reeve crossed with CSI.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">With a description like that I may never read one.

The wife has read a bunch of the Deaver books, with a few of the Rhyme novels. She like James Patterson's Alex Cross novels better I think.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

LMAO "stone monkey" you are fucking ridiculous Bro...

Continue, sorry for the drive-by
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Actually, my first thought was that it did sound like Alex Cross - but then I read the other 99% of the post and realized that they had different jobs. I've read 2 of the Patterson books (at least - the red and blue ones for what that's worth) and they move along pretty well. Maybe I should read The Bone Collector and see how that goes.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

See, I read Four Blind Mice and couldn't stand the cloying characterization. The only way I got through it was seeing Morgan Freeman in my head. He lends gravitas without even being there. Deaver is much better.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Maybe a better description would be if the guy playing Dr House was paralyzed. Not to knock Reeves acting skills or nothing.

And the Movie version of Bone Collector I figured out the killer in the OPENING CREDITS. Seriously. Total let down. And Queen Latifah's character is made up just for the movie. But I saw the movie before I ever picked up any of the books. And I read Bone Collector after I read a few of the others. The books are way better at keeping you guessing. Even Bone Collector had a more involved plot than what they showed in the movie.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Killing time at the airport during a layover, so I went into Hudson and browsing around I discovered Deaver had written another Rhyme book. The Cold Moon is the seventh in the series and marks the first time the bad guy gets away at the end, setting "The Watchmaker" up as an ongoing Nemesis for Lincoln and his team. Again, I thought I had things figured out, and BANG, he switches it up like four more times after that. I figured the killings were going to be some sort clock face laid out over Manhattan with each victim a certain numeral on the clock. But nope, much more complicated than that. He also created a character who looks to be the main protagonist in his next novel. Franchising his own Detectives. Clever.
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Lincoln Rhyme

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

More of a Jeffrey Deaver announcement than a Lincoln Rhyme one, but Deaver has just been tapped by Ian Fleming's estate to write new James Bond 007 novels. He's the first American to be chosen. I haven't read any of the Bond books since the John Gardner run back in the 90's. It's strange that they don't keep the original Ian Fleming books in print isn't it?
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie