HARRY POTTER!!

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I'd be most curious to know what Sambo and the rest of the fictitiousional characters thought of the book.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Sambo
Sold to Apokolips

Post by Sambo »

Dat english woman stole de idea for dat Harry Potter from me! I be de boy who lived!!! And dat voldemort honky, dat be nuttin more than dat ol' tiger who chased me round dat tree!! And all dat magic talk? It jezz be a yumafism fo all de butter! Dat woman owe me a whole lotta money!! Laws yes she do!!
"'dat sho' look like a tasty stack o' pancakes!!"
Bizarro The Grin
knightrider

Post by Bizarro The Grin »

This was a damned good book. Damned good. I bet it would've been better if I could remember the other six!
"fREUD SAID, 'sOMETIMES A CIGAR IS JUST A CIGAR.'

oH, YEAH? wELL SOMETIMES IT'S A BIG, BROWN DICK."

* - fOR AWARD-WINNING FATHER-LOVING.
vynsane
master of the universe

Re:

Post by vynsane »

so, yeah... i'm obviously really late to the party, but i wanted to go back through and read all of them back-to-back. of course, that was something i could've started months prior to the last book, but whachagonnado? you know how lazy i am.
anarky wrote: 5) The death of Colin. Totally unexpected, especially since we don't find out until most of the fighting is over. Something about the innocence of the character in HP&TCOS, as well as Harry's noticing how small his body looks, really drives his death home more than a lot of the others.
i found the deaths of lupin and tonks to be more heart-wrenching. another child looses both of his parents in one fell-swoop at the hands of voldemort. that shit sucks. do we have another prophecy on our hands? i want to read more! please let there be another prophecy!!!
4) Xenophilius pretty much driven mad (madder?) over the abduction of Luna. Sure, we find out later she's relatively okay, but his anguish over his daughter rips your heart out.
i was just mostly pissed at xeno. what a sellout. luna wouldn't have cracked like that.
3) The death of Dobby, and his funeral. Wow. Really didn't see this one coming. He died a hero, defending Harry until his last breath. Harry begging him not to die, then deciding to bury him without using magic, is the kicker.
definitely.
2) Harry's walk to his death. It's bad enough, since Rowling does an amazing job of getting into his head. But then he brings back Sirius, Lupin, James, and Lily, and the four of them discuss death with Harry.
great scene.
1) Albus Severus Potter. I think this being stuck in the middle of an otherwise happy-go-lucky epilogue makes it a million times more powerful than it would've been otherwise. Snape is finally redeemed, and Harry has accepted how much he gave up to protect him, even as he kept thinking he was the villain in every book so far.
yeah, that plus the entire memory flash in the penseive. snape did it all for his undying, unrequited love for lily. (and i knew snape wasn't bad.) the doe patronus was a really cool touch.

that said, i'm kinda pissed that we didn't hear confirmation that james' middle name was sirius. as redeemed in harry's mind as snape's memory was, sirius should've been memorialized somehow as well. the fact remains snape was an asshole to harry, and sirius was nothing but a caring, loving father-figure.

i want a prequel series, chronicling the exploits of messrs. mooney, wormtail, padfoot and prongs and their trials during voldemort's first reign of terror. i also now want "hogwarts: the next generation" with james, lily, albus, teddy, rose, and hugo. there's gotta be some more dark wizards out there... c'mon, you know you want it as well!

i felt a lot of the middle was repetitive, with the moving to a new forest and camping out every day, but over-all it was a great finale to a great series of books. my favorite remains "prisoner of azkaban" followed closely by "goblet of fire".

in all, here's the order of how i like them, and therefore the definitive list that everyone should go by and you're totally ghey if you don't agree:

1: prisoner of azkaban
2: goblet of fire
3: deathly hallows
4: half-blood prince
5: order of the phoenix
6: chamber of secrets
7: sorcerer's stone
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: HARRY POTTER!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Extra, extra! Dumbledore's queer!

The most bizarre part about that story is that they were gonna put in a part in the sixth movie about Dumbledore thinking about an old love. Why?
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Dell Rusk
IMPOSTOR!!!

Post by Dell Rusk »

Blimey! As if the sorcery weren't enough, now there's sodomy? I hope I can get out of me contract for the next two. As we all know from Leviticus 18:22, man lying with man is unclean and an abomination before the Lord our God.
UR SO GAY I BET U THANK THIS SONG IS ABAUT U DONT U U FUCKIN FAGGET
Negative Boy
knightrider

Post by Negative Boy »

Well, I used to really enjoy these books, too. Now that I know they're filled with rampant homosexuality on every page. I can't deign to pick them up again except to throw them on the fire. Poor Sir Richard Harris would be rolling in his grave if he'd known his final role was that of a raging pedophile sodomizer! I think that English bitch should return all those billions of dollars for corrupting our youth with her bigoted liberal gay loving agenda.
GOD! That is so STUPID!! You are WRONG!!

Eternal Padawan is DEAD!! Fuck yeah!
Ro11o Tomassi
bacon

Post by Ro11o Tomassi »

I've been trying to read these, but they're confusing as hell. How do you pronounce "Hermione"? Maybe I can read some more once I stop getting pulled out of the narrative when I'm trying to pronounce these crazy names.
"Jim? Who the hell is this 'Jim' character? I was gonna say something about that guy and his bad outfit, but you start talking about Jim. C'mon, tell me who Jim is. Are you cheating on me?"
Rollo Tornassi
bacon

Post by Rollo Tornassi »

I have never heard of these books. Probably because I'm American. I'll have to wiggle it online tonight or check on nile.com.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Zaphod
knightrider
Location: CHESTER A. ARTHUR'S WIFE'S VAGINA... WITH THE VINEGAR, BABY!

Post by Zaphod »

anarky

Post by anarky »

Mrs. Anarky found out from someone that the narrator of the audio editions is Pushing Daisies' Jim Dale (or, as she put it since she couldn't remember the name of the show, "the narrator from the Piemaker show"). Needless to say, this made us interested in hearing them.

They cost a motherfucking fortune.

However, the library has the audiobooks on CD. And anyone with iTunes (or any other software) can copy them.

The total number of discs is 99. :eek: I'm going to see if I can find some binder-styled case that holds 100 discs. Unfortunately, it looks like Tales of Beedle the Bard has never been released as an audiobook.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Bit Torrent
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

we're listening to the first book in the car on our trip - it's very well done. never even thought about ripping them... might have to consider that...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I have such shitty luck with bit torrent that I figured this was easier.
Mister Roboto
sloth

Post by Mister Roboto »

Anybody ever wonder what happened to little 11 year old Rosie from New Zealand who used to post here about Harry Potter and Queen?

She grew up.
I am the Modern Man.