A Song Of Ice And Fire

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire

Post by Tom Foolery »

Somebody put the actual scene up on YouTube, so I watched it before it gets taken down(or not).
It's pretty brutal. I was prepared for worse, though I can see how unprepared viewers would curl up in the fetal position afterwards. Also, in the book, Robb's wife wasn't at the Wedding. That part was different.

My prediction in the books is that Walder Frey lives to a ripe old age and dies in his sleep, but before then, every single one of his offspring is killed and he dies knowing his bloodline, that he spent so many many years fucking his different wives to accumulate, ends with him. Die you fucker.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

The theory I'm reading is that they included Robb's wife at the wedding to dispel any rumors about potential heirs running around later, as people apparently like to speculate about who just read the books. Also, it was a horrendous sight watching her get stabbed, there is nothing they could have done to make that seen any more visually revolting than that. Jesus tapdancing Christ, was that ugly.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Yeah, in the book it was more about the political faux pas of him getting married and reneging on the Frey deal. So the new little wifey didn't even matter afterward. I think Jaime Lannister just sent her back home. She had ZERO political capital as a hostage. :)

Besides, we all know this series isn't about the Stark legacy. It's about the Targaryen legacy. Jon Snow, Tyrion, and Dany. The three heads of the Dragon.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

I finally watched the final two episodes of the season last night.

Unfortunately I had already learned that Robb's child would die, meaning Talisa probably would as well, and I knew Robb and Catelyn were at the wedding. So it wasn't hugely shocking, but it was still so goddamn fucking brutal.

Seeing Coldplay's drummer as one of the band members was a weird little moment that took me out of it for a second.

Arya's mini-retribution in the next episode was fucking awesome, at least.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Hodor.
Attachments
hodor.png
hodor.png (353.94 KiB) Viewed 8080 times
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The other actors are jealous because that guy's already got his lines memorized for the rest of the series.

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

In the latest issue of Young Avengers, writer Kieron Gillen responds to a fan letter. Showing how awesome Gillen is and why you should read his books.
I like the phrase third-generation nerd, which brings to mind the sort of family trees you get at the back of Game of Thrones. Lyn Nerddöttir of the line of Nerd. You'll probably be killed tragically and randomly at some point in the third book. There's lots of fanart of you which imagines what it'd be like if you got a dragon. You'll also be made to kiss almost everyone in the cast in this aforementioned fanart, including the dragon. How does that feel, Lyn? I'd imagine it's weird and you want to wash. Er--glad the book is working for you and thanks for writing (Though I suspect you're regretting it now).
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I really - REALLY wish the comic was being done by this artist. LOVE these character designs.

Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

A recent recasting announcement was accompanied by more goddamn fucking spoilers on some site. The author thought they were being cute by not actually describing what happens involving this character, just the fan reaction to something that happens to a related character beforehand, but it was clear enough to figure out that Joffrey dies relatively soon. Maybe I'm wrong, but reading that shit in what should have been an innocuous article pissed me the fuck off. I hate people.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The one thing that's for sure is that nothing's for sure. Stick around.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Started reading A Feast For Crows earlier this month. About 600 pages in. Not as sluggish as I'd feared without half the characters (and some of the most interesting ones).

A Dance With Dragons should be out in about 2 months in paperback, IIRC.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Now that anarky is finally starting to (re)read these, I thought I'd resurrect the topic.

Also, who hasn't read them? Or where are you in the series?

Heads up, nark! I know we've mentioned this several times already, but those indexes in the back of the book are gonna be your best friend. If there was a way to rip them out and put them on a giant cork board like an FBI agent working a RICO case, I would. Fuck me, there's a lot of characters to keep track of.
When book six comes out, I'm gonna be completely fucked because I'll be 'wait, who the fuck is this again and who're they related to? And who do they hate because somebody killed someone who was related to them?' <------ That x1000.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Nah, you'll read the first chapter for each character & he'll masterfully remind you of what just happened with them before the long break & you'll be all like "Ah, fuck yes. I do recall that now." Just watch & see.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Shit. I thought there were just five books, but there are all sorts of assorted short stories and novellas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Dunk_and_Egg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Queen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rogue_Prince

At least most of these look like they're in collections that have enough other good-looking stuff. I know I've got the first Legends collection already for the similar "Little Sisters of Eleuria" story by Stephen King, in his Dark Tower universe before he royally fucked it up.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!