What'cha readin', you illiterate fuck?

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

What are you reading right now?

Post by anarky »

I'm still working on two tomes I've been going through slowly, more slowly than I normally take on books:

I'm Just Here for the Food, Version 2.0 by Alton Brown, and

Japanese Sword Fighting: Secrets of the Samurai byMasaaki Hatsumi
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Newsbot
Official anchor of the vynsane 5 o'clock news

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Newsbot »

Code: Select all

I'm reading your post, duh.  Now all of you go back and read my posts.  I'll tell you everything you need to know.
Putting the broad back into broadcasting.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Stupid bint.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

I finally got The Making of Star Wars yesterday, so I've been chipping away at it. I recently finished I Am America (And So Can You!), my only complaint of which is that it's far too short.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

I am currently reading this thread
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Newsbot wrote:

I'm reading your post, duh.
kidhuman wrote:I am currently reading this thread
anyone who makes the same joke as newsbot 2.0 is subject to a fine of one BSLOS.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Reading? I don't have time for that. I'm still looking at that picture anarky posted in the 2001 thread trying to figure out which one of the girls is cold.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Rogue II, since you may not have learned this in fifth grade, something happens to bazoombas when they get cold.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Ok, I'm going to keep staring at that picture until I figure it out.
Rollo Tornassi
bacon

Post by Rollo Tornassi »

I'm reading this really cool book about the Mafia. I can see them making it into a movie. i don't know why they wouldn't have already. It's called the Godfather. It's totally awesome.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

vynsane wrote:
Newsbot wrote:

I'm reading your post, duh.
kidhuman wrote:I am currently reading this thread
anyone who makes the same joke as newsbot 2.0 is subject to a fine of one BSLOS.

Well to my defense I dont read Newsbot posts so I didnt know it was made already.
Seven
knightrider

Post by Seven »

Just finished up 'God is NOT Great' by Christopher Hitchens. This guy is hilarious and puts you in your place right quick.

I did just pick up the new Star Wars book but I haven't finished the last one yet in that series...I've been on a non-fiction kick since July and can't stop!
The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an Amusement Park.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

While in Florida last week I picked up a book I had my eye on for a while then forgot about until I saw it the store: The Blind Side by Michael Lewis.
Fantastic book. I'm about 2/3 of the way through and one of those books you don't want to put down.
Synopsis from BN.com:
In football, as in life, the value we place on people changes with the rules of the games they play.
When we first meet the young man at the center of this extraordinary and moving story, he is one of thirteen children by a mother addicted to crack; he does not know his real name, his father, his birthday, or any of the things a child might learn in school. And he has no serious experience playing organized football.
What changes? He takes up football, and school, after a rich, Evangelical, Republican family plucks him from the mean streets. Their love is the first great force that alters the world’s perception of the boy, whom they adopt. The second force is the evolution of professional football itself.
In The Blind Side, Lewis shows us a largely unanalyzed but inexorable trend in football working its way down from the pros to the high school game, where it collides with the life of a single young man to produce a narrative of great and surprising power.
I also bought and read the 10th (and final) book in the Last of the Jedi series. I haven't been into the story since book 4 or 5, but I wanted to see how it ended.

After The Blind Side, I'll start on the last book I picked up on vacation: Diablo Cody's Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper. Since I loved Juno so much I figured I'd give her book a shot. And after the first line ("Nobody comes to Minnesota to take their clothes off, at least as far as I know.") and the dedication ("For Jonny and the three ugly ones") I think I'll enjoy it.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

If you like Michael Lewis, read Moneyball. That book will change your life (or at least make you enjoy baseball more).

Right now I'm reading I Am America (And So Can You!) "by" Stephen Colbert. Its alright, but it tries too hard to be John Stewart's "America". It has a ton of footnotes and margin notes that are more distracting than funny, especially given that a lot of the margin notes don't line up well with what they are referencing.
:grillmarks:
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

After re-watching The Shining on an impulse, I sat down and read the book for the first time.

Right now I am reading Lord of the Flies; another classic I'm only now getting around to reading.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie