What'cha readin', you illiterate fuck?

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: What'cha readin', you illiterate fuck?

Post by Slicker »

I just finished reading the Thrawn Trilogy again and now I'm almost done with the Thrawn Duology again. I must say that the Duology is just carp. I don't like it one bit. As for the Trilogy I personally think it's still good (even though RB won't pick it up) and is just a notch below SOTE.
Sweet berry wine!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Slicker wrote:I just finished reading the Thrawn Trilogy again and now I'm almost done with the Thrawn Duology again. I must say that the Duology is just carp. I don't like it one bit. As for the Trilogy I personally think it's still good (even though RB won't pick it up) and is just a notch below SOTE.
I read the overrated Thrawn trilogy last year. Go back to the first page of this thread, bitch.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

Diabolical wrote:I read the overrated Thrawn trilogy last year. Go back to the first page of this thread, bitch.
I didn't feel like reading the whole thing.
Sweet berry wine!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Slicker wrote:
Diabolical wrote:I read the overrated Thrawn trilogy last year. Go back to the first page of this thread, bitch.
I didn't feel like reading the whole thing.
You were posting on the first page. :D
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Just started Hunger Games. I didn't realize it was first person.

EDIT 1. On page 148. The Games just started. The first 147 pages are the events leading up to it, all the pageantry and whatnot. It's a 374 page book.

EDIT 2. Got to page 244 with the "rule change".

EDIT 3. Page 323. Without spoiling too much, there's an interminably long boring stretch in a cave....the whole book kinda grinds to a halt. 50 pages to go!

EDIT 4. Annnnnnd.....finished. Aside from a few goofy moments here and there Like the "Muttations" being the dead Tributes. Actually, the entire idea of Muttations was a tad lame. And the post-Arena drama but overall it was decent, and would make a good movie.

There's a few things I wouldn't mind discussing once more of you have read it.
Particularly the character of Haymitch.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

I'm taking the History of Children's Literature this semester (I get two 500+ level "electives" in my Master's program) and am finally reading a lot of "classics". I'll be the first to admit that I am surprised that the books don't completely suck cock. Among the books I've read so far are: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, The Wind in the Willows,Treasure Island,Anne of Green Gables and Tom Sawyer. While they're plenty dry and smack of Victorian/Edwardian society, I actually do find them pleasant to read, especially given the rest of my reading load on any given week, which consists mostly of doctoral theses printed by some university press and written by some jack-off using conveniently selected sources to make his point.
:grillmarks:
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Lewis Carroll was a master of language. Robert Louis Stevenson was one of the greats of adventure stories.

And Mark Twain once said he would never allow either Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn to be read by children, and it troubled him that they were. Sure, he may have been joking. Huck Finn is infinitely better than Tom Sawyer, if you've not read it. Infinitely better than any other book in English, for that matter.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:Just started Hunger Games. I didn't realize it was first person.

EDIT 1. On page 148. The Games just started. The first 147 pages are the events leading up to it, all the pageantry and whatnot. It's a 374 page book.

EDIT 2. Got to page 244 with the "rule change".

EDIT 3. Page 323. Without spoiling too much, there's an interminably long boring stretch in a cave....the whole book kinda grinds to a halt. 50 pages to go!

EDIT 4. Annnnnnd.....finished. Aside from a few goofy moments here and there Like the "Muttations" being the dead Tributes. Actually, the entire idea of Muttations was a tad lame. And the post-Arena drama but overall it was decent, and would make a good movie.

There's a few things I wouldn't mind discussing once more of you have read it.
Particularly the character of Haymitch.
Regarding your issues, specifically edits 3 and part of 4, I think you'll like the movie.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I saw the movie last Tuesday. The differences between the book and film were small enough to be forgivable.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:I saw the movie last Tuesday. The differences between the book and film were small enough to be forgivable.
Ah. I was too lazy to look in the movies forum.

I liked how the edited the cave and it was good to see the "Hulk Dogs" get another film role. :D
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

I just finished reading "Juiced" by Jose Canseco. It took me only about 3 days to do so. The book is very...meh. It's basically him preaching about how he introduced steroids to baseball and every player should thank him for their sky high homerun numbers. He's also VERY full of himself constantly calling himself the greatest athlete in the world (this was in the early 90's when they had a basketball player named Montell Jordan or something and that little hockey guy named Gretzkey both in their prime...) and then bashing all of these great players because they were "golden boys" because they were white. He's got a definite chip on his shoulder about racism and whatnot.
Sweet berry wine!
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

He's such a cock face. When that book came out five or so years ago he got so much press for it for it being such a shitty book and for him being such a despicable human being. He is such a slap in the face to baseball. I was watching something recently (Outside the Lines on ESPN maybe?) and they were trying to get him for an interview. He asked them to show up to whatever card store he signs at in Vegas and THEN told them it would cost them thousands to interview him. They basically laughed at him, asked him what he thought was an "offhand question" (but was the crux of the interview they were after), got a response and thanked him for the free interview.
:grillmarks:
anarky

Post by anarky »

The Gods of Mars. The series is different enough from the film that I have no idea where it's going yet, but I highly recommend it. Dated at times, and the science is downright laughable, but the story is awesome.

John Carter seems sort of like the Lord of the Rings movies in the way it brings in details from later books.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I haven't read the John Carter books since jr high. But I remember them being pretty awesome for what they were.

I reread Ender's Game last night, cover to cover. It just reinforces my concerns about the changes they're making in the film. A six year old is not a 14 year old.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I probably would've read them earlier, but everyone (nerds, teachers, family, friends) told me Burroughs had great ideas but sucked as a writer.

I guess they were confused and thought they were talking about the Naked Lunch dude. Even he's supposed to be quite good, though I guess based on what I know about his work that it wouldn't be most folks' cup of tea.