The Making of Star Wars

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

The Making of Star Wars

Post by Diabolical »

Does anyone else have it?
It's a great book.
And as I said and posted elsewhere, we're getting a Making of Empire:
Confirmed at bottom of this post at StarWars.com
Also to come is The Making of The Empire Strikes Back, to be released in 2010 in conjunction with the 30th anniversary of that film
The Making of Star Wars was one of the few things Star Wars I've actually enjoyed in the past couple of years, so I'm hoping this will be of equal quality.
:mabs:
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: The Making of Star Wars

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Is it a revisionist history where George Lucas created the entire Star Wars universe single handedly and he's so amazing and wow what a guy you should all be thankful to breathe air on the same planet as him?

Or does it give deserved props to DeRuyck and Gary Kurtz and everyone who made the first one so awesome?
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

have we not already had about seven million making of star wars books/videos/articles/websites/wankfests?
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:Is it a revisionist history where George Lucas created the entire Star Wars universe single handedly and he's so amazing and wow what a guy you should all be thankful to breathe air on the same planet as him?
No.
RoIIo Tomassi wrote:Or does it give deserved props to DeRuyck and Gary Kurtz and everyone who made the first one so awesome?
Yes, and then some.

Its been a year since I've read it, but from what I remember its written in a "as it happens" style; there is no "Little did George know..." kind of stuff.
And its a warts and all story. From the troubles getting the movie sold to problems with the studio (like Fox wanting Chewie to wear pants) to the problems on the set to problems with the effects.
The book itself it pretty big. It probably close to 10X12 inches and just over 300 pages (with what must be an 8 point font), but there are a shitload of behind the scenes photos (most of which I had never seen before).
I was pleasantly surprised. Like I said, this is one of the few Star Wars related items I've really enjoyed the past couple of years.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

Fuck ESB, I'm a purist.
Seven
knightrider

Post by Seven »

I have this book. It is awesome. I read it cover to cover. George gives props. He give props to alot of people, FINALLY! I bought a copy for my general practitioner. I bought it for him because he loves Star Wars. He is awesome! I will by the Making of Empire. I can't wait.
The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an Amusement Park.
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

I remember owning a paperback making of book years ago. had a black cover and a few ropey B&W pics in the middle. I definitely had one for ESB and ROTJ not sure if i had the ANH one though. lost so much when i moved house one time.

I remember thinking when i read the books that the behind the scenes stuff was far more interesting than the movies. and how weirdy beardy everyone was back then. they didn't have cool :beard:s
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

I really love that book and will definitely get the ESB one.

While they do indeed give props to other people, it also confirms that George had invented midi-chlorians over 30 years ago, so there's something for everyone. :D
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.