Kurt Vonnegut

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Jedi Knightrider 3000
sloth

Kurt Vonnegut

Post by Jedi Knightrider 3000 »

kurt vonnegut is THE master satirist and all around crazy person responsible for such famous books as <i>breakfast of champions</i> and of course <i>slaughterhouse 5</i>.

i LOVE vonnegut's work. my favorite book by him is <i>sirens of titan</i> in which he actually gives not THE reason for life, but a darn good reason for living...

books by vonnegut i've read (in the order i remember them...)

slaughterhouse 5
bluebeard
god bless you mr. rosewater
breakfast of champions
timequake
galapagos
sirens of titan
welcome to the monkeyhouse
dead eye dick (dead eye should be one word, but it would get censored into asshole dick... that's pretty funny...)
cat's cradle

that's all i can remember right now. i've read all these since my freshman year of college, when my english professor assigned a paper, and told me that i should right the paper on slaughterhouse 5, because he "thought i would really get it..." well, i did, and never go enough....
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

i've read most of them--all are excellent--well, except for timequake--i didn't care for that one but more on that later

my favorite. . . hard to tell--i really like bluebeard and slaughterhouse-five or the children's crusade yadda yadda full title taking another page

i recommend player piano--his first novel--much more linear and plausible than his other works--but still characteristically vonnegut

also read bogambo snuff box--a collection of short stories and essays

however--read cat's cradle next--period

i've never read his son's book, the eden express--i have it though--one day i'll get to it

timequake is not so good--not bad but not as good--apparently he wrote a "last novel" and scrapped it when it was almost done--then he wrote timequake as another "last novel"--which is all fine and good--but stop referring to a novel you never finished and we'll never see--it's just frustrating
Jedi Knightrider 3000
sloth

Post by Jedi Knightrider 3000 »

i read cat's cradle! this is how the world ends... not with a bang, but with a whisper...

i tried player piano. i just couldn't get into the groove on this book. usually i can just feel a vonnegut book. player piano felt more like reading. or something. i don't know, i'll probably try it again some time...
Bizarro Mabudon
bacon

Post by Bizarro Mabudon »

mE AM UNDERSTANDING HE AM GOOD BUT ME AM NOT KNOW HOW TO READ.
bIZarRO jJrEasoN
bacon

Post by bIZarRO jJrEasoN »

biZarrO kUrt VonneGuT namEd kilGore trOut. hiM noT am sucCessFul, am nEarly hoMeless buM.
The Cow
bacon

Post by The Cow »

MOOOOOOOOO!!
The Goat
bacon

Post by The Goat »

BAAAAAA!!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

11/11/22 - 4/11/07

So it goes.

:(
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

po-te-weet.

my favorite novel of his is "sirens of titan". i have an autographed copy. it's one of my most treasured possessions.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

I heard very little about his passing and it just illustrates a major problem.

They'd rather cover that completely idiotic Imus case instead of praising the life of a literary genius.

You Americans suck and your country makes me wanna be a citizen of Japan!!!
Sweet berry wine!
Negative Boy
knightrider

Re: Kurt Vonnegut

Post by Negative Boy »

Man, fuck your punk ass no talent bitch Vonnegut. I've been more riveted by the Sears ad in the sunday paper.
GOD! That is so STUPID!! You are WRONG!!

Eternal Padawan is DEAD!! Fuck yeah!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Fuck you, NB.

It looks like a new collection of unpublished pieces on war and peace came out today. I'll probably be picking it up in about a week. Costco's got it for $13.99, which I imagine will not be beaten by anyone else.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
autochthonous
bacon

Post by autochthonous »

I had the privilege of seeing Kurt Vonnegut speak when I was in college. Even then, he was old, but damn, was he an amazing speaker.
I am not going to use an image. Dammit.