Am I cured of the SW fix?

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Am I cured of the SW fix?

Post by anarky »

I've bought, in the past year or so, Darth Bane, Allegiance, and Death Star. I've not read a damned one of them yet. I'm not even in a hurry to do so.

I've passed on a few ____ing a Galaxy books, The Making of Star Wars, Mad About Star Wars, Jedi vs Sith: The Essential Guide, Star Wars Vault, and the kiddie Vader biography. All stuff I would've given a nut for three years ago.

I figure Star Wars Vault and Making of Star Wars are, though they might look cool on the surface, overpriced collections of Lucas trying to retcon real-world history and claiming he had the idea for Qui-Gon in 1977.

I don't give a flying fuck about all this Legacy horseshit. I bought the first book, started reading it, got disgusted, and (unfortunately) forgot to cancel my order for the second one before it shipped. (Shipping to return it would be almost what the book cost in the first place.)

It's like... neither Lucas, his company, or the publishers have any fucking respect for the material or the audience. So why should I bother wasting my cash to watch what once was a proud monument of storytelling get dragged through the mud any more?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Am I cured of the SW fix?

Post by Diabolical »

I got The Making of Star Wars (softcover) for my birthday.
My wife actually picked it out. I couldn't decide between that and Firefly The Official Companion Volume 2 (which I just got for Christmas). Her logic was "get the Star Wars one - it's a bigger book." I did and was initially regretting it, since my SW love has been fading fast, until I started reading it. I thought it was a great book. I didn't see anything I thought was revisionist history. Most of it seems to be written from a you are there standpoint, rather than a looking back standpoint.

It is one of the few Star Wars thing I've enjoyed in the past year or two. I'd quickly pick up a Making of Empire if they made one.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

I'm fairly sure that all the other films had "Making of" books written in the years they were made, but ANH was the exception.

Anyway, it is really phenomenal. Same with the Vault. As for Qui-Gon, the Vault explicitly states he wasn't even in the first draft of TPM (though Making of Star Wars does say that he had the idea for midi-chlorians back then; it's in an interview from July or August of that year). The only thing that slightly seems like revisionism is how Lucas split the Starkiller character into two characters, making Luke and Leia, and deciding they were twins. Earlier he had them as cousins, and she was still interested in him. Maybe he's just really into incest.

Give either one of them a good look and your opinion will be completely changed. As for the others, well, EU has always been gay. :P And you don't have to get every single book they put out, either.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
anarky

Post by anarky »

The EU isn't always gay. Read anything by Jude Watson for proof of that. Wait, everything she wrote is out of print, aside from Last of the Jedi.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Well, I should correct myself: EU is ALMOST always gay. She wrote some of those books about Obi-Wan's apprenticeship, right? I used to like them, but some of the stuff was pretty gay (those long-armed brothers come to mind).

James Luceno is also pretty good. But I don't like really any of the post-ROTJ stuff; it makes the movies seem unimportant ("you thought THAT Empire was bad? Well, just get a load of THIS one!").
anarky

Post by anarky »

You thought Guerra and Paxxi were gay? :eek:

You're right, and you don't suck. Ha ha! I lie!!

(If you read it, you'll get it.)
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

I remembered that they had a really annoying catchphrase that made them sound like foreigners, but I forgot what it was. I tried so, so hard to forget it. Thanks a lot. :(
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »