Michael Moore's "Dude, Where's My Country?"

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Michael Moore's "Dude, Where's My Country?"

Post by jjreason »

Anyone else read it? Pretty interesting book, especially the first couple of chapters.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

It's my new bible. =)

THREAD CLOSED!!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Man, no kidding. I think if I typed "Michael Mo" at the old site, someone would bomb the thread before I even entered the post!!!
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

And there'd be a moderator making some smug,off-colour racism inspired joke in the closing post, just to rub it in

I have troubles with the library going WAAAAAY back (not far enough, obviously) so I've not read it, a few of my close friends have though, it sounds at least pretty interesting...
In my case it would sorta be preaching to the converted.... I really do believe that something is horribly wrong with our "story arc" as humans, something I noticed when I realized that if everything WAS the way I was told it IS, it wouldn't BE the way it is..... the sad thing is, we're ALL gonna pay for it sooner or later.

I hope this isn't too "political", I'm trying not to step on any dicks or anything (Jedielf is rather fond of saying "You're stepping on my DICK!!" when she's mad.... I guess you'd have to be there) but I really think that there are too many artless greedy dummies steering our planet in some pretty sinister directions...
I know at least Anarky shares SOME of my consternation, having responded to certain key Daily Show mentions elsewhere...
My favourite BIG LIE currently is that the media is run by liberals.... I can't believe anyone could even say that with a straight face...

Anyways, glad to know that smart folks are still smart folks, outcast or otherwise....

I won't even attempt to tie the recent moon-shot business into this one (anyone have an interpretation of THAT that makes it sound sensible, or even realistic?..... for that matter, how many US people here had the current reality swept away by 50's style sci-fi images?? Just curious, according to the Liberal media, the idea is the SHIT)
anarky

Post by anarky »

My thoughts on the moon thing: anything to get the attention of the US voters off our fiasco in Iraq, the continuing nonextistence of an economy, the silent repeal of the Bill of Rights, and our laughable inability to catch one dude in a cave.

I swear, despite how I might sound sometimes, I'm not nearly as far to the left as Mikey himself.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

No, I wasn't implying such a comparison, man, Mr.Moore is a bit over-the-top for me in some respects as well, I'm just glad that the subjects he covers are still open to discussion, is all.
My stance, politically, is so complex I don't agree with either extreme, and that's sorta how I imagine this place to be.
Just making sure ya didn't get the wrong impression (can ya tell I'm not used to such freedom of speech?)
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

All I care about is that someone is forcing the issue. Someone, a voice that's pretty loud, is using his clout to force the general public to CONSIDER WHAT WE'RE GETTING FROM THE GODDAMNED MASS MEDIA BEFORE we accept it as truth. CNN or MSNBC (or CBC or BBC for that matter) does not equal 100% truth or fact.

I had a sinking feeling in my gut when Bush won, like a darkness fell or something..... like some bullshit charade almost went the wrong way and pulled down the veil exposing OZ. Thank God for big business some master of spin was able to salvage the "vote" for Junior Bush. It looked wrong, and reading this book reinforces to me that my instincts are pretty good about what's fucking bullshit and what's not.

I don't consider myself overly liberal, but what he talks about in terms of "common sense" as opposed to liberal - I'm down with that. Pretty much to a "T", and I'd wager many of us are pretty close on these issues.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i gotta pick up this book... i loved "bowling", and i can't wait to dig into this tome. i also wanna pick up "the awful truth" on dvd.

also, his next movie is purportedly entitled "farenheit 911" presumably about the WTC disaster...

check out http://www.michaelmoore.com for more good stuff...
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

That's the name of the next book. Based on some of the info in Dude, it may very well be an exposure of Bush's dealings with the Saudi Arabians - who's citizens (almost entirely, apparently) perpetrated the 911 attacks.
anarky

Post by anarky »

His next movie is more in-depth about the allegations he brings up in DWMC? regarding Bush secretly getting his friends in the Bin Laden family out of the US following the terrorist attacks. And, presumably, more. Last I heard, it was going to be Fahreneheit 911, but then that's become the name of the book, so who knows? I know it's planned for a 2004 release, in hopes that it will sway voters. :)
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Well maybe I'm screwed up. I thought the book was Farenheit 911, but it could very well be a movie. I think I liked Bowling for Columbine better than Dude - though it's hard to compare a book to a movie. I thought Dude kind of petered out at the end, largely because I have no opportunity to vote in your elections, and won't be trying to persuade anyone to change their tune, or vote, or whatever. We've got our own issues up here.

Whatever the next project may be, I'll be there with bells on. Mike Moore kicks Rush Limbaugh right in the bag.
Negative Boy
knightrider

Post by Negative Boy »

Michael Moore is fat. And liberal. Therefore anything he says can't be trusted farther than you can throw him. I disagree with the statement that President Bush is not President. or that Joseph Bin laden's family was hiding in a cave in California. These are just preposterous lies fed to you by the Liberal Media. Mostly they want you to be distracted from the real issues like the amount of cinnamon being put into the water supply. Did you know that if we continue to eat Snickerdoodles at the current rate of consumption, in less than three years, the terrorists will win? Think about THAT before you bad mouth America, you racist, chubby beetlewinks!! ha ha. You can't even argue with me because I'm right! Penises!
GOD! That is so STUPID!! You are WRONG!!

Eternal Padawan is DEAD!! Fuck yeah!
Snigtad Flornbi
christopher walken
Location: I AM NOT CALING U, I AM CALLIN THE LADYS, NOT U, CUZ U R A FAGG!

Re: Michael Moore's

Post by Snigtad Flornbi »

jjreason wrote:Anyone else read it? Pretty interesting book, especially the first couple of chapters.
Guess what! Ur gay!!!!!
NOW THAT IS A GOD DAM GAYE ROBAT!!! LOOK A THAT FUCKIN DICK ON HIS HAND, HE PROBLY SUX IT EVER NITE CUZ HE IS A GAY FAG LIEK U FAGGETS!! MAN, U FAGS LIEK ROBAT DONG HANDS UP UR GAY ASSES DON'T U, HA HA HA HA HA HA I NEW IT!!!