The Dark Tower

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Post by Eternal Padawan »

I finally got around to picking up The Wolves of the Calla the other day. When I start reading it is anyones guess.
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
Inktomi Slurp Spider
bacon

Post by Inktomi Slurp Spider »

Slurp, Slurp.
Slurp. Slurp.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Re: The Dark Tower

Hurm. We don't have a Stephen King topic, so this'll go in here.

A friend lent me the Bachman collection last weekend and I read The Long Walk and then Running Man. Running Man is nothing like the movie. I still like the movie as an Arnold vehicle and testament to cheesy 80s sci-fi action. And I enjoyed the book for the most part. It's inevitable conclusion ( and it occured to me that a lot of books end that way, with the protagonist dying) wasn't even that jarring in light of recent world events.

But the Long Walk. That was absolutely brilliant. It's so hard to put into words, the sense of hopelessness you feel reading that book. Once again, King has left an indelible mark on my psyche. He did it with his short stories in Skeleton Crew and Night Shift when I was a teenager. He did it again with the Stand in my 20's. And more recently with Gunslinger books. And now this. Nihilistic brilliance. I don't ever want to walk again.
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

The Long Walk is incredibly memorable - that bit about the walker desperately trying to screw the girl on the car was fucking INSANE.... I haven't read that for years, but still remember it quite well. The Bachman Books in their entirety (and I'll toss in Thinner as well, because I'm that kind of guy) are fucking great.
"Something inside me....."
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

My roommate and I go for seven mile walks on the weekends. And when we get home, my feet hurt, my back is sore, I'm sweating like a bitch. And thats only seven miles. Less than three hours. So every page I turned of that thing freaked me the fuck out, thinking about how much agony that would be, and to have the psychological dread piled on top of that. Fucking insane.

Sambo
Sold to Apokolips

Post by Sambo »

Where's dat ugly mofo honky Stebbin King get off calling it de DARK tower? 'less he be talkin' bout my cock!! DANG! Why all you homo crackers obsessed wit mah dick?! Ain't never gonna let you suck it, foo!! Only dem hottie white bitches I watch on ABC Daytime down at de laudromat!! One Life To Live. General Hospital. All my Chillun! Except dat Port Charles shit. Fuck that cracker horseshit!!
"'dat sho' look like a tasty stack o' pancakes!!"
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Ummmm..okay.

(Whatever happened to that guy?)

Since I lasted posted here I finished Wolves, and blew through Susannah pretty quick. I am now about 100 pages into the last book. I manage about 10 pages a night before I fall asleep. If I get into a reading groove, I will finish shortly.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I'm sorry in advance.

Soon you'll know why.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Snigtad Flornbi
christopher walken
Location: I AM NOT CALING U, I AM CALLIN THE LADYS, NOT U, CUZ U R A FAGG!

Post by Snigtad Flornbi »

UR SO GAY U PROBLY THANK THIS FORM IS ABOUT U, DONT U FAGG!!

YAYYYYYY DOOSHE!!

O YES!
NOW THAT IS A GOD DAM GAYE ROBAT!!! LOOK A THAT FUCKIN DICK ON HIS HAND, HE PROBLY SUX IT EVER NITE CUZ HE IS A GAY FAG LIEK U FAGGETS!! MAN, U FAGS LIEK ROBAT DONG HANDS UP UR GAY ASSES DON'T U, HA HA HA HA HA HA I NEW IT!!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

So, Rollo, have you finished the book yet?

Or did you throw it across the room in frustration?

I did the latter, but my wife convinced me to finish it anyway.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I'm still plodding along. I have been distracted first by the Darkness game on XBox360, then a huge influx of comics recently, and I had a hankering to watch the first season of LOST over so that's been taking up my evenings.

Where am I in the book? The ka-tet just reunited and the creepy morphing spider baby is watching them on some monitors. So I'm still early in the book.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

No matter how much I build up the disappointment, it will still surprise you that it can get so bad so quickly.

You're roughly at the end of the part that fits in whatsoever with the other six books. It will go to hell very, very soon. And then it will get to some place way beyond hell, where even Lemmy himself would dare not go.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Funny, looking over this thread, it looks like I'm (though I didn't realize it) like my wife in one respect: the longer we go, the worse we think Book VII was.

Just imagine if Lucas made the prequels, and they sucked as badly as they did, but we didn't see Anakin become Vader or anything about the Clone Wars. They just ended at Geonosis, and then Obi-Wan started hanging out with Lucas and they decided to make a Britney Spears video together.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I'm on around page 300. They are listening to Ted Brautigan's tapes right now. That one character ( y'know..the one who was an arch-nemesis in several books) went out like a bitch. As Eric Cartman would say...WEAK.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
anarky

Post by anarky »

I assume you refer to the guy who got his eyes eaten by a spider? "Weak" doesn't cut it.

I forgot the name Brautigan showed up, and, IIRC, there was absolutely no connection to author Richard Brautigan (an underrated and insane genius, best known for Trout Fishing in America) or reason to use such an unusual and distinctive name.