The Dark Tower

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: The Dark Tower

Post by jjreason »

More than ever, I'm glad my laziness prevented me from fighting through even the fourth book in this series. Yay, laziness!!!
"Something inside me....."
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:they fight a Sith Lord named Mifune Yojimbo, who has a spaceship called the Samurai VII
all i absorbed from that post was this part. because it would be awesome.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

It sounds awesome. Except when you consider the Dark Tower equivalent is robots in Doctor Doom costumes throwing Snitches that are marked as something like "JKR-class Snitch, Harry Potter model." I'm not making that up. No one knows what it means, since the one from the latest time period was from the mid-80s.

Okay, Doombots with Snitches is kinda cool when you consider the metatextual qualities of the series. Hammering us over the head with it (there's also a few paragraphs of "they look like a bad guy from the Fantastic Four comic!" by the heroes from Earth) is not. Nor is the whole thing coming down to sacrificing main characters to save Stephen King from being run over by a van.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Did anyone ever bother to read the 8th book? Or even know what it's called?

I wonder sometimes how this series would've ended if King hadn't been hit by a car and faced his own mortality. What would the series be like without King inserting himself and getting all meta at the end. Infinitely less dissatisfying I'd wager.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

J. K. Rowling: The only late 20th-century author of an epic series of more than five installments to actually fulfill the potential of the series with zero low points.

It sure as fuck wasn't King or Lucas.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!