Lord of the Rings

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Lord of the Rings

Post by Eternal Padawan »

How can you have a literature forum and no LOTR topic? Shameful.

I just finished Return of the King for the second time. I think ROTK and FOTR are tied for which book takes longer to get interesting. You have to have some serious patience for the first 50-100 pages on both of those or you are liable to chuck it in the never again pile. This time I am actually reading all them damn indexes and appendices, also. The movie shall rock, but that's a topic for a different forum.

I have never tackled the Simarillion, so that may be next on my list.

Toodleoo!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I think Two Towers starts off with a bang - the death of Boromir - but then does taper off quite a bit until about 1/2 way through. Worth the read though, and definitely easier once you get a bit older. I failed to get through when I was 12 or 13, but I found it way more interesting a few years later.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Two Towers. I thought the stuff with the rest of the fellowship moved along quicker than the Sam/Frodo stuff. But that may have been because you read the first half of the book and it has closure, and then you realize that you are only halfway done and your thinking fucking hell, I gotta plow through all this Frodo nonsense too? By the end of TTT I'm just like get it over with. But them Frodo dies and poor Sam is all alone with the ring...THAT was a cool ending. Too bad PJ blew it with the film. Talk about a cliffhanger!
madman
bacon

Post by madman »

I HATE SAM AND FRODO!!!

But ROTK is really cool.

xcept for the part where everyone is just talking.

The fighting is cool
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Yep. The talking part blows. I hate it when they actually try to break up the fighting with a story - that's the worst. I really like books with no words too!
Negative Boy
knightrider

Post by Negative Boy »

I've noticed a trend in this "alleged" literature forum. All the topics are about movies, that may incidentally have had books written about them. You moogiepoops wouldn't know good literature if it came up and fucked you in the butters. Try and drag yourself away from the boob tube long enough to sit down with something from the works of Louis L'Amour or Charles Dickens. I also enjoy the Mack Bolan books by Don Pendleton. Now there's a man who can write a good book. Sadly, you will only ever know the writings of those who suck Hollywood's cock and get their books made into stupid movies. Ha ha. I pity you all.
GOD! That is so STUPID!! You are WRONG!!

Eternal Padawan is DEAD!! Fuck yeah!
Ran

New Tolkien book to be published next month: report

Post by Ran »

I guess Newsbot missed this one. Or just doesn't care.
LONDON (AFP) - An unfinished book by "Lord of the Rings" author J.R.R. Tolkien, which was completed by his son, will go on sale on next month, a newspaper said.

"The Children of Hurin", which Tolkien began in 1918, will be in bookshops on April 17, the Independent on Sunday added. The author's son, Christopher, spent 30 years completing the story from the many drafts produced by his father.

Publisher HarperCollins is keeping exact details of the story under close wraps but its description as "an epic story of adventure, tragedy, fellowship and heroism" will be familiar to the legions of Tolkien fans.

Artist Alan Lee has provided 25 pencil sketches and eight paintings for the book.

Lee won an Oscar for art direction on
Peter Jackson's "The Return of the King", the third blockbuster film based on the "Lord of Rings" trilogy that brought the stories to a worldwide audience.

"The Children of Hurin" is the first "new" Tolkien book since a collection of his works -- "The Silmarillion" -- was published posthumously in 1977, four years after the writer's death. It was also edited by Christopher Tolkien.

The chairman of the Tolkien Society, Chris Crawshaw, was quoted by the Independent on Sunday as saying: "It ('The Children of Hurin') would probably make a very good movie, if anyone can secure the film rights."
I read 2 or 3 of the LOTR books in High School, but never read any of his other works. Does all of his stuff take place in the same "world"?
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Mmmm... I'll go with yes, but at vastly different times. The Hobbit takes place years before Lord of the Rings, but within 100 years.... I believe the Silmarillion is from a time way before the Hobbit.

His other works I'm not sure about.
"Something inside me....."
bIZZARO tHE gRIP
sloth

Post by bIZZARO tHE gRIP »

aH DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THEES lORD oF tHE rINGS. bUT, eL PADRE DE sENIOR jABBAjUANl CALLS ME eL lORD dE EL cOCK rING.
:arrow: :frus:
zAT ES ME, FOCKING TU PADRE!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

I think he just calls you a cock.

The stories in the Simirallion are from the 1st and 2nd age of Middle-Earth and the Lord of the Rings is the story of the transition from the end of the 3rd age into the beginning of the 4th. Many of the stories are referenced in LOTR and he was planning of expanding them but then he died.
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
Ran

Post by Ran »

Thanks, EP. So if I ever decided to read the stories, I should pick up that guide to Tolkien so I can understand what the hell is going on.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

I just never liked how Christopher annotated all the decipherings saying "this is what my father might have meant to write." it's distracting. i would rather just had another experienced writer come in and say this is inspired by unfinished writings of JRR Tolkein and filled in the blank spots and been done with it. The whole think looks like a partial psyche analysis of what Tolkein WOULD have written. It made me not want to read any of those books.
jjreason

JRR Tolkien's Children of Hurin

Post by jjreason »

Anyone else pick this up? I haven't started reading it yet, but I'm already pronouncing Hurin "Urine" for my own enjoyment. :mabs:
"Something inside me....."
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Didn't somebody already start a topic about this?
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

That's what I thought, crackers.