So, What comics did you buy this week?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: So, What comics did you buy this week?

Post by jjreason »

Jess Jones 14*
Action
Detective
Spider-Man 234*

*Tough with Bendis leaving to not want to follow along with his best characters to see how he goes out.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Even though they've only published 10 issues since 2010, I wonder what's going to happen to his/Maleev's Scarlet, published under Marvel's Icon imprint.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Wikiepedia calls 10 the last issue - but it could mean "latest" or last released I suppose. Was the story left hanging?
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

It's been over a year since it was released, but I don't remember there being an ending. I'll have to dig it out. I've been meaning to anyway so I could give it a reread. It was a great story.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I got caught up in the stupid Legacy value stamp/lenticular madness a wee bit & bought a few issues since I have no self control:

ASM 789 lenticular - terrible. Pete's crashing on Mockingbird's couch as his company crapped out. Easy to remember why I dropped Slott's Parker ages ago.
Spider-Man vs Deadpool 20something - Filler title, set up like a Marvel Team Up book. It read ok but there is nothing here to keep me reading.
Guardians of the Galaxy 146 - GotG have joined the Nova Corps. The team gets split up & paired up with various other Novas. Ok I guess.
Iron Fist 73 - claims to be "vs" Sabertooth, but it's really a ploy as they wind up working together. Not surprising.
Jessica Jones 13 & 14 are really good. Purple Man/Kilgrave is back. No one will be able to write this for Bendis I don't think.
Spider-Man 234 - Miles Morales Spidey is typically good, but I only pop in here & there. Someone will be able to take this over without too much trouble.

Not sure if I provided any input on the others I've purchased so far:

Iron Man 593 - Bendis finishing up on his story of Tonry Stark & Victor Von Doom should be good. I will stick with this.
Cap 595 - Waid/Samnee on Cap was good, I will continue along until 600 anyhow.
Black Panther 166 - continues on from the previous volume seamlessly. The Klaw rears his ugly.... klaw I suppose.
Uncanny Avengers 28 - Wonder Man & Beast take on Whirlwind (albeit very briefly). 1986 all over again.
Thor 700 - the march to Jane Foster's death from cancer takes another step.

So as it stands I have 8 stamps (out of 53, no I won't be able to get them all & I have to be ok with that) and 5 Lenticular covers. I will likely fill in a few more before I tap out.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Daredevil 595, so far, has been the only flyer stamp book I've bought that has made me rethink my decision to drop the title. I'll stick around until issue 600 as this seems to be back on track after a weak final "pre-Legacy" arc.

Still haven't read: Venom, Falcon, Avengers, Champions (those 2 books are crossing over) or Luke Cage. I'm also planning on grabbing Hulk when I find a copy that's not mangled.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I haven’t read any comics in months. :?
I keep spending around $50 a week on books I’m not even reading.
I think I’m gonna get the first issues of all these Legacy renumbered issues, then I’m gonna do a severe culling of my books.
I’m gonna keep getting the Transformers books, GIJoe, Saga, Atomic Robo, and a few key Marvel books that I am(or was) actually enjoying like Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl, etc until they get cancelled.
But if I’m spending like $200 a month on a hobby I’m only doing out of habit, that’s $200 I could be putting towards other things. Like Legos or something.

It makes me a little sad. There’s probably some really great reads in those 500+ issues I haven’t gotten around to reading yet, but I look at the pile and just say ‘meh’. I’ve been really unmotivated to do much of anything lately. I haven’t kept up with any of this seasons TV shows. I used to go to the movies almost every week and I’ve only been three times since July. I feel like I just go to work, and then come home and go to sleep so I can get up and go to work the next day. I’m in a rut.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'm the same, but a smaller scale.
Other than the crossover with the Flash (The Button),I haven't read a Batman or Detective since the first few issues after Rebirth.
I'm way behind on Daredevil and a bunch more.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Sometimes it takes a break to really appreciate something - remember your OTHER dry spell, EP. :D

As stupid as this sounds, in my mind I'm still quitting. I have legitimate jumping off plans for everything other than Saga. I don't think I'll be able to drop that one.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Hulk 709 - Return to Planet Hulk. Amadeus gets sucked through space back to Planet Hulk. Not good.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:Hulk 709 - Return to Planet Hulk. Amadeus gets sucked through space back to Planet Hulk. Not good.
Which is stupid because Planet Hulk BLEW UP in the Skarr, Son of Hulk comic. IT’S GONE.
Unless the nomadic survivors of the first planet somehow failed to learn the lessons of the first planet and turned whatever new planet they settled on into a NEW gladiatorial planet. WHICH IS EVEN STUPIDER. ( and I don’t care that stupider isn’t a word. More stupid. Whatever)
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Tom Foolery wrote: Which is stupid because Planet Hulk BLEW UP in the Skarr, Son of Hulk comic. IT’S GONE.
I think they can claim the "That was 616, this is ALL-NEW ALL-DIFFERENT BECAUSE SECRET WARS", but that's been tired since it started with Stark's parents & Hydra Cap, and it's very tired now.

Punisher: Platoon 3 - continues the awesome

ASM 790, 791, and most of this past volume with the Ross covers - just need 3 more. Not happy with myself but the covers.... I also bought a bunch of UXM issues I had skipped in hopes of filling in my Bendis & Gillen runs leading up to 600. I think I need 5 more plus a replacement for my 540 then done.

Iron Man - just fine. The issues are split between the Doom art (amazing) & the RiRi art (fine but not the same) which is a bit jarring. I'm not sure I care about where Tony Stark is, if we're being honest.

Thanos 13 - for the stamp, but it was actually really good. Surprised me good.

Missed Black Panther (they had one copy that didn't suit me condition-wise) and I'm humming and hawing over Renew Your Vows for the stamp. I'll have another chance today.

Action, Detective & Doomsday Clock 1 - Superman starts dealing with the fallout from the Mr Oz reveal, serves as a lead in to Doomsday Clock, Tim recruits Gotham Girl to come back to the Bat-Team using false pretences, and finally we're introduced to a replacement Rorshach, and find out what's been happening since the big starfish obliterated NYC in Clock 1. I wanted to dislike this, but it was fan-fucking-tastic.

Oh, and fucking Geoff Johns did a signing at an LCS for Doomsday Clock that would have been less than an hour's drive for me - and I didn't know about it. Jesus Christ.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I bought Doomsday Clock out of morbid curiousity. Geoff Johns trying to write like Alan Moore was pretty hilarious.
Given the long, wretched history of Moore’s contentious relationship with DC over the Watchmen rights, I hope that Johns, as a “creator”, gets syphillis. Not sure how that guy sleeps at night.
And this is from a guy who thinks Alan Moore is a gigantic arrogant dick.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Johns will always toe the DC party line & thus will side with the company in public over the sad dispute. I'm sure he, like all of us and anyone else loves Moore's writing & would love to be able to emulate it - but that's drug & psychosis fueled shit like Warren Ellis' - not the product of a normally functioning mind.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Revolutionaries Vol. 2: Power and Glory:

So. Fucking. Awesome.

Barber seriously deserves an award for fleshing out the IDW timeline in a way that expands on existing stories and fixes so many plot holes.

And I love the way flashbacks are done in appropriate art styles. Even seeing the shitty Extreme team done in Liefeld style was fricking beautiful. (Didn't hurt that they worked in the goofy-ass Cesspool from ARAH in there, since the existing Extreme villains work in the present, where Cesspool is fucking absurd. Though it dies raise the question: was that actually a younger Zartan sporting the mohawk?)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!